✟15,971.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm curious.

Do you post these things because you want a discussion, or because you just want to make a point and then sit back and wait to see if anyone disagrees with you?

Because your OP isn't a question or a talking point. It's "THIS IS HOW IT IS, PERIOD" and that's it.

Hi @NerdGirl , nice to see you! Am back!!

Upvote 0

WrappedUpinHisLove

Still Wrapped Up in His Love
Jan 19, 2021
Bristol
✟15,971.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We are meant to give up all our possessions and follow Jesus like the way the disciples did and the way Jesus lived.

Luke 14:33 In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples.

We are meant to trust God that he will provide for all our needs it says he will add these things to you if you seek the kingdom of heaven and it’s righteousness first as in you make it your first priority not what you will eat drink or wear.

Luke 12:22 Then Jesus said to his disciples: “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. 23 For life is more than food, and the body more than clothes.24 Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! 25 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life?26 Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?

27 “Consider how the wild flowers grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 28 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you—you of little faith!29 And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. 30 For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them.31 But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well.

We are meant to look to God for provision while preaching the gospel.

Luke 12:32 “Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. 33 Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. 34 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

So, the question I am pondering is, how much of our income (paycheque, welfare cheque etc) cheque do we give up? 100%? I wish I had enough faith to give up 100% of it and trust God to provide money for food and shelter and medical treatments (am in UK but am having a treatment which I can only access privately) ....

Upvote 0

WrappedUpinHisLove

Still Wrapped Up in His Love
Jan 19, 2021
Bristol
✟15,971.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Am I a bad christian because I give what I can afford after I have paid bills? Am I a bad christian that I can't give God 100% of my welfare cheque? I feel a.bit like I must be a rubbish disciple and least in kingdom of Heaven because I just don't have that level of faith

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
No, if you give from your heart, that's what matters no matter how much you give. The original intent was your first fruits should be given to God such as the 10 percent but now many believe the ten percent or tithe is no longer valid.
Not me though, God is my source, everything I have comes from him and I feel the need to return to him his generosity.
Blessings!

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Am I a bad christian because I give what I can afford after I have paid bills? Am I a bad christian that I can't give God 100% of my welfare cheque? I feel a.bit like I must be a rubbish disciple and least in kingdom of Heaven because I just don't have that level of faith
I don't believe he expects you to give 100 percent.
He is providing for you with the income you get. He expects you to take care of yourself with it, if you give it all back how can you support yourself?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm curious.

Do you post these things because you want a discussion, or because you just want to make a point and then sit back and wait to see if anyone disagrees with you?

Because your OP isn't a question or a talking point. It's "THIS IS HOW IT IS, PERIOD" and that's it.
@NerdGirl
If you are reading the posts just want to say we are missing your posts and you of course and hope all is well with you. Concern for you daily.
Blessings

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I’d be careful who you were labelling as non-Christians are you observing Luke 14:33 In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples.
Do you give up everything you have?
If you are not then your way of thinking means you are not a disciple?
We are in different times, no one is spending their life in the streets witnessing for Jesus depending on other Christians to feed them and clothe them while traveling here there and everywhere for Jesus. Of all he gives us, ten percent was once required of us peons. If we were all on the road as in the OT there would be no one keeping the world alive with physical needs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ashley Amos

May 25, 2020
Edmonton
Visit site
✟6,176.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ok. ok. I hear what you're saying. We don't want to contradict Jesus if we can keep from it, right?

But what if Jesus told someone that they're saved even after that person ONLY gave away half of all his money? What then?

Actually, he did say that to Zacchaeus:

Luke 19:8 - But Zacchaeus stood up and said to the Lord, “Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount.”

9 Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham. 10For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.”

• Agree
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Ashley Amos

May 25, 2020
Edmonton
Visit site
✟6,176.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you give up everything you have?
We are in different times, no one is spending their life in the streets witnessing for Jesus depending on other Christians to feed them and clothe them while traveling here there and everywhere for Jesus. Of all he gives us, ten percent was once required of us peons. If we were all on the road as in the OT there would be no one keeping the world alive with physical needs.

What I have or haven't done in no way, changes what Jesus said or what he meant. Judging my actions will not help you or achieve anything. If I jump off a cliff, will you also?

We are in different times,

1 Timothy 4:1-2 - 1The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron.

Yes indeed, we are in different times, but that is not a good thing!

no one is spending their life in the streets witnessing for Jesus depending on other Christians to feed them and clothe them while traveling here there and everywhere for Jesus.

But we should be! Time means nothing to God - the year 2021 doesn't mean that his word changes.

Matthew 24:35 - Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

Mark 13:31 - Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

Luke 21:33 - Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

Of all he gives us, ten percent was once required of us peons. If we were all on the road as in the OT there would be no one keeping the world alive with physical needs.

You keep saying OT, but this is a NT teaching.

Luke 14:33 - So you cannot become my disciple without giving up everything you own.

Matthew 7:13-14 - 13“You can enter God’s Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hellf is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way. 14But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it.

As Jesus is stating, do not worry about the rest of the world. Only the few who truly love Gog will do the things He has commanded without compromise or manipulation. The evil world will not fall apart, don't worry!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ashley Amos

May 25, 2020
Edmonton
Visit site
✟6,176.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It seems to me that if someone wants to advocate a life of voluntary poverty for others, that perhaps they should do the same?

If everyone else jumped off a cliff with you? My point is regardless of whether everyone else does it that does not change that Jesus said it Luke 14:33 In the same way, any one of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be My disciple.

At no point in history has Christianity ever taught that all are to commit themselves to lives of voluntary poverty--though there are those who have as a specific discipline.

Luke 12:33
22 Then Jesus said to his disciples: “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. 23 For life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. 24 Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! 25 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life? 26 Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?

27 “Consider how the wild flowers grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 28 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you—you of little faith! 29 And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. 30 For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. 31 But seek his kingdom,and these things will be given to you as well.

32 “Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. 33 Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys.34 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

But being a Christian is not about a life of strict, rigid asceticism. Are there Christians who voluntarily choose a more ascetic life? Of course. But let's not pretend as though being a Christian means one can't have a family and work a job and pay one's bills and mortgage and put food on the table for one's children.

Denying your children food isn't being a faithful disciple, it's just being an irresponsible and bad parent.

You are omitting the part in scripture where it states if you give up all for Jesus God will provide for your needs this shows a lack of faith on your part that God will provide or can provide. If God can provide for 1 million people in the wilderness I think he can provide for you and your family.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Ashley Amos

May 25, 2020
Edmonton
Visit site
✟6,176.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm leery of people without means providing a barometer for wealth they've never accomplished.

It is one thing for a person who makes $1M to say that's enough and another for someone with no capacity of doing the same to quote the same figure.

Yours in His Service,

~bella
Jesus stated the Son of Man has no place to lay his head John the Baptist lived in the wilderness eating locust and honey so you would be wary of them as well which means you would’ve missed the hour of your visitation.

Upvote 0

Ashley Amos

May 25, 2020
Edmonton
Visit site
✟6,176.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I could be said to worship anything it's work. Work is the most wonderful thing in the world. It's how I support myself and it's how I find most of my "meaning" in life. I love my work. I get excited when I wake up to get out to my workshop and get started. My work is in high demand, so much so that I can't keep up and people are willing to pay a weighty price for it. There are thousands of my products all over the world being used every day and people tell me how much they love my products. That gives me a lot of satisfaction and makes me very proud. That is worth as much to me as what I get paid.

The work of God is to believe in his son Jesus and to preach the gospel. If you put the kingdom of heaven first as first priority then God will add everything you need to you For you and your family if he can provide for 1 million people in the desert/wilderness then I think you can provide for you and your family.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
You are omitting the part in scripture where it states if you give up all for Jesus God will provide for your needs this shows a lack of faith on your part that God will provide or can provide. If God can provide for 1 million people in the wilderness I think he can provide for you and your family.

I'm not worried about whether or not God can provide for me. That's hardly the issue. I'm saying living stupidly isn't living faithfully.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What I have or haven't done in no way, changes what Jesus said or what he meant. Judging my actions will not help you or achieve anything. If I jump off a cliff, will you also?

1 Timothy 4:1-2 - 1The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron.

Yes indeed, we are in different times, but that is not a good thing!

But we should be! Time means nothing to God - the year 2021 doesn't mean that his word changes.

Matthew 24:35 - Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

Mark 13:31 - Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

Luke 21:33 - Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

You keep saying OT, but this is a NT teaching.

Luke 14:33 - So you cannot become my disciple without giving up everything you own.

Matthew 7:13-14 - 13“You can enter God’s Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hellf is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way. 14But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it.

As Jesus is stating, do not worry about the rest of the world. Only the few who truly love Gog will do the things He has commanded without compromise or manipulation. The evil world will not fall apart, don't worry!
Get real!
You would fail as a Christian of the old days. Jesus and his followers would not judge their fellow Christians as you are. This whole thread is your judging all Christians that post here. Each of your posts I see you patting yourself on the back with delight for having defeated that poster. A sad affair is this.
Jesus would never look down on anyone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Jesus stated the Son of Man has no place to lay his head John the Baptist lived in the wilderness eating locust and honey so you would be wary of them as well which means you would’ve missed the hour of your visitation.

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.

Upvote 0

Ashley Amos

May 25, 2020
Edmonton
Visit site
✟6,176.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Get real!
You would fail as a Christian of the old days. Jesus and his followers would not judge their fellow Christians as you are. This whole thread is your judging all Christians that post here. Each of your posts I see you patting yourself on the back with delight for having defeated that poster. A sad affair is this.
Jesus would never look down on anyone.

You are the one that are judging I am merely stating what Jesus has said Jesus has said Luke 14:33 and you must abide by it or you can twist and manipulate it which is what you seem to be doing. All you have done in your replies is try to judge me so you are going against your own belief judge not lest ye be judge. Now clearly Jesus was in the New Testament and he stated this concept of giving up all in the New Testament so I don’t know why you are stating regarding the old testament. Nothing in my post pat myself on the back I am merely stating what Jesus said we must do but if you feel more comfortable in trying to attack me then go ahead but that does not change what Jesus said you must do. Don’t be a coward.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
How is having faith in God, and that he will provide living stupidly that’s a good motto you live by their shows lots of faith LOL

Perhaps you forget Christ's words when He was tempted in the desert,

"Do not put the Lord your God to the test."

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Ashley Amos

May 25, 2020
Edmonton
Visit site
✟6,176.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps you forget Christ's words when He was tempted in the desert,

"Do not put the Lord your God to the test."

-CryptoLutheran
How can you put the Lord God to the test when it is the Lord That said it. Luke 14:33 it is Jesus that said you cannot be my disciple and less you give up all your possessions. You are speaking ridiculous things because of your love for money. Sounds like you insinuating that Jesus is Satan and that he’s tempting us. I think you need to rethink your position on this matter.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
How can you put the Lord God to the test when it is the Lord That said it.

You should really go back and read the pericope of Christ's temptation.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0