• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

The Lotus Flower

Discussion in 'Theologia Crucis - Lutherans' started by Hope1960, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Hope1960

Hope1960 Well-Known Member

+220
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    I used to have a beautiful photo of a Lotus flower on my Facebook page until I started thinking about the connections between that type of flower and Eastern religions. Is it wrong for a Lutheran or Christian in general to display pictures of Lotus flowers, wear lotus jewelry, or get a permanent tattoo of one when the Lotus is symbolic of things in Eastern religions?
    I thought the white Lotus (mine was pink) was connected to
    Christianity until I read further. Now I’m not so sure.

@Daniel9v9

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Carl Emerson

Carl Emerson Well-Known Member

+6,049
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    The Lotus symbolises a false peace and 'enlightenment'

Paul makes it clear that pagan religions are demonic.

Ask yourself if Jesus walked into your house what would He be grieved by...

3. Hope1960

+220
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    I stole the picture from my daughter who took it at a park. Just talked to her and she said it’s a water lily. Is there a difference? Because I think it’s beautiful and a part of Gods creation so I think Jesus would approve. My daughter is a Christian (Catholic) not a Hindu or Buddhist.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  4. Carl Emerson

+6,049
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    OK the context is quite different then...

The difference is whether or not the image is dedicated to represent a false belief...

5. zippy2006

zippy2006 Dragonsworn

+2,571
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    The founder of Christianity created the lotus flower, so there is that.

6. Hope1960

+220
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    No it isn’t. It’s just a pretty flower from a park.

7. actionsub

actionsub Mike, he's just this guy, you know?

+191
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    No matter what you like, someone somewhere will have co-opted it for something that will be taken negative. If you like lotuses because they're pretty, go for it and don't overthink connotations.

8. Hope1960

+220
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    Thanks!

9. Hope1960

+220
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    Yep, like for instance I like rainbows but the gay community has taken the rainbow and they ran with it.

10. Carl Emerson

+6,049
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    Pray about it and Jesus will show you what grieves Him.

11. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+21,661
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    God is the Author of creation. It's His creation, and His creation is good.

-CryptoLutheran

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  12. Daniel9v9

Daniel9v9

+1,088
    Japan
    Lutheran
    Married
    We can make a distinction between religious symbolism and art. While we want to avoid using using other religious symbols, we are quite free to enjoy and use photos, illustrations, or graphics of flowers. Buddhism does not have a monopoly on the use of Lotus flowers, so you can be free to use pictures of Lotus flowers with a clear conscience! Flowers are God’s gift to you, and they can be rightly enjoyed and received with thanksgiving.

God bless!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. GreekOrthodox

GreekOrthodox Psalti Chrysostom

+2,897
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Different religions and philosophies have used the natural elements for inspiration. In Christianity, we have the legend of the robin's red breast, the pelican, or even the dogwood tree. I look for beauty in nature no matter what.

Easter and the Legend of the Dogwood Tree

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. Hope1960

+220
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    Thanks! How are you doing? It’s been awhile since I’ve heard from you.

15. Daniel9v9

Daniel9v9

+1,088
    Japan
    Lutheran
    Married
    No problem!

Oh, I’m doing good, thank you! I’ve been a bit busy lately, so unfortunately I haven’t had much time to drop by here. We’re moving houses next week and I’m finishing up an educational series for YouTube — once that’s done, I hope to be able to enjoy the good weather we’re having! How about yourself? How’s it going?

16. Hope1960

+220
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    Things are going well. My husband and I just became grandparents almost three weeks ago!

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  17. Daniel9v9

Daniel9v9

+1,088
    Japan
    Lutheran
    Married
    Oh, lovely! Congratulations! Have you been able to visit them? I'm not sure how things are with Covid restrictions where you're at, but hopefully it's not too bad.

God's blessings to you and your family and the little one! +

18. Hope1960

+220
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    Yes, we’ve visited quite a bit. Thanks for your good wishes!

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  19. MarkRohfrietsch

MarkRohfrietsch Unapologetic Apologist Supporter

+4,206
    Canada
    Lutheran
    Married
    If God made it and it is beautiful, say a prayer of thanksgiving for that beauty. Eastern religions are wrong, not God's creation.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. actionsub

actionsub Mike, he's just this guy, you know?

+191
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Yep. I went out to find a strap for my new guitar over the weekend to play at the nursing home service. The cheapest one I could find had the graphic from the cover of "Dark Side of the Moon". I got home, looked at the rainbows and thought "oh crap, somebody at church is going to read something into this..."