• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

The loss of a brother

I hope I don't sound super insensitive in this post. Ok, here goes....

My little brother died a little less than 2 years ago at 16. He died after a 2 year battle with brain cancer. He and I were very close, and I miss him. Tomorrow would have been his high school graduation ceremony. I really don't want to attend, but my parents keep insisting upon it. They've spent the last 2 years memorializing my brother. I won't say I understand what they are going though, because he was not my child. But he's gone now. And I don't want to keep trying to drag him back.

We had a similar incident not so long ago. About a year ago the town we live in decided that they would finally name the park across the street from my house (it did not have an official name. It was just referred to as That Small Park on Church Street). We live in a small town, so just about everyone knows my families name and what happened to my brother. So they named the park after my brother, because he and his friends spent a lot of time there. It was very sweet. They gave a little sign to my parents at the monthly town meeting. It wasn't like a ceremony or anything. My parents and older sisters were pretty angry that I didn't go. It's not that I had other things to do, but I'm just so tired of everyone looking at me with pity.

A few weeks ago my older sister got her Masters degree. It was a huge achievement for her, being a single mom with 2 kids, a job, and getting a degree. My parents would not go to her ceremony. Her Ex- In Laws did, but our own parents wouldn't. She was heartbroken, and they knew it.

Yes, I love my brother and miss him. But dang it, he's gone. And constantly mourning over the things he isn't here to do is not going to bring him back. I just wish they would let him rest in peace. My parents are both Christian, they attend church regularly, though their pastor hasn't been the same since my brother died so they say.
I just...I don't know. I feel like I'm at peace with his passing. I have faith that he has gone to a much better place than this. And I feel like my parents are putting my brother up on a pedestal and forgetting about the rest of us....

I'm not saying that they should just get over it, because that's impossible. They lost a child. I just wish they would let me remain at peace with his passing and not guilt me into reliving his death all over again.

I'm being super insensitive, aren't I?

rhawk

I'm a CAT-HOLIC, proud cat parent & Catholic.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Montana
✟420,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
LunarRise,

Wow, that is a hard topic and question. I have no children, so I cannot imagine what that is like. I have lost a parent and grandparents and friends, but I believe that each is different. Something tells me the bond of a parent to child is pretty big and I imagine it would be a hard hurtle to jump.

How does your older sister feel about the situation? She may have some good insight, being a mother herself.

My heart goes out to you and your whole family and I'll put you in my prayers. What you have gone through is hard and painful.

If you find you need an ear I am happy to listen. Just shoot me a message or reply to this one.

Sincerely,

David

Upvote 0

writewords

Meant for ministry. Gloria in excelsis Deo.
Feb 24, 2017
Missouri
✟34,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
Wow that's tough. Isee 2 possibilities here:

1. You have truly mourned and your parents are dealing with as much as possible. If what you claim about you is true and mourned (not that you lie, but our minds can play tricks) then I think you should talk to your parents about everything you have writen, including your sister's commencement. Maybe they should see a counselor.

2 You are putting off a true grieving process and you need to let that happen.

If 1 is true, no I do not think that is insensitive.

Upvote 0