Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
For the first time ever, I got the idea to do Communion with my mom on Easter. We do not have a church because of our denominational difference (she is a Methodist and I am more like an American Baptist than anything else), so I am way overdue to do it again. There is a problem with doing it, however: having the wrong kind of bread. We have a lot of bread and English muffins, but not plain white bread. They are both flavored. Does it really matter enough that we should skip Communion tomorrow? Am I overthinking this?

Last edited:

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The key central thing is that you sincerely remember Christ, as He said to us, as you partake:

19And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”

20In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you."
Luke 22 NIV

As we read also we must remember sincerely, in 1rst Corinthians chapter 11:

The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.” 25 In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.”

Sincere focus on remembering Christ, and how He gave up His body for us, is the key aspect we must do. That this must be sincere and also done in fellowship when we are together is illustrated in 1 Corinthians 11 NIV

One good way to prepare yourself is to pray the Lord's prayer first. Also, it is helpful to recite His words, as the bread and wine/grape is offered: "This is my body, given for you. Do this in remembrance of me." "This is the new covenant in my blood, poured out for you. Do this, when you drink it, in remembrance of me.”"

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟242,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
This almost sounds more like an agape meal some Protestant denominations use. Perhaps you can talk to your minister about this issue. If Communion is a memorial meal to you, I do not think it would matter what bread is used.

(Of course I am Catholic so my understanding of the Eucharist is completely different, which would require ordained clergy etc).

Upvote 0

CallofChrist

Site Supporter
Apr 24, 2012
St.Paul, MN
✟89,549.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some traditions require an ordained minister to perform communion. I am not sure what Baptists believe about that. Generally the type of bread doesn't seem to be a central issue, as far as I have seen. I have been to churches that use saltine crackers for the bread.

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Some traditions require an ordained minister to perform communion. I am not sure what Baptists believe about that. Generally the type of bread doesn't seem to be a central issue, as far as I have seen. I have been to churches that use saltine crackers for the bread.

I think salty crackers have to be used at church because they do not get stale quickly out of the bag. That would not be a problem here.

Does the Bible say only ordained pastors can direct the Lord's Supper?

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In my opinion there is no problem using whatever type of bread that you want to remember Christ. The important thing to remember is that He gave His body for us so that we might be saved. The bread is symbolic.

John 6:35, "Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life. The one who comes to me will never go hungry, and the one who believes in me will never be thirsty."

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi @ChristianForCats

I must agree with most of the responses you've received so far. I don't find that the act of sharing communion with other believers has anything whatsoever to do with the kind of bread or drink that is used. What Jesus said was the purpose of communion was to remember him. His life. His testimony. His suffering and death at the hands of wicked men on a wicked earth. Do this in remembrance of me.

God bless,
Ted

Upvote 0