Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Our Father who art in heaven,
Hallowed be your name, thy Kingdom come,
thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread;
and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us,
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom,
the power and the glory are yours.
Now and forever.
Amen.

Can we say that the Lord's Prayer is the most powerful prayer in the bible/Christianity?

Are there any other prayers that can be seen on the same footing?

This is the prayer Jesus gave to his disciples when they asked Jesus how they should pray.

What line of the Lord's Prayer stands out to you the most and why?

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,561.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Everything literally stands out for me. In the Lord's prayer, we are to give glory only to Him, He supplies our daily needs as we acknowledge that they come from Him, He forgives our transgressions, His will prevails over the entire earth, His Kingdom and power remain His for ever ( For He will never share His Glory). For me, He is everything i need/ The game changer/Balm of Gilead/Bishop of my soul/The lamb that was slain/Battle stopper/ Adonai( Our Master) & The Cornerstone.

Upvote 0

Richard Mulcahy

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2019
Reading
✟182,378.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Everything literally stands out for me. In the Lord's prayer, we are to give glory only to Him, He supplies our daily needs as we acknowledge that they come from Him, He forgives our transgressions, His will prevails over the entire earth, His Kingdom and power remain His for ever ( For He will never share His Glory). For me, He is everything i need/ The game changer/Balm of Gilead/Bishop of my soul/The lamb that was slain/Battle stopper/ Adonai( Our Master) & The Cornerstone.

Hi,

The entire prayer stands out for me too.
But, if I had to pick one line it would be: thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.

I feel that this particular line encompasses the teachings of the bible in a most far reaching way.

Reactions: zoey13
Upvote 0

Ennon Slegers

Feb 1, 2021
Colombo
✟8,228.00
Country
Sri Lanka
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When Jesus’ disciples asked Him to teach them how to pray, Jesus taught them how to pray by giving them Lord’s prayer in Matthew 6:9-13.

But most of us got used to memorised this passage and recite as a prayer. Prayer is not a repetition of words at all.

Jesus told His disciples not to use vain repetitions when they pray, in the previous verses ( In the same portion)

This will help you more to learn how we can read the Lord’s prayer and build our prayer to a better standard.

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2021
Frisco
✟7,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“Give us this day our daily Bread, and forgive us our sins.” Is one connected sentence. The Bread is the body of Jesus, not our earthly needs!
Those of us who know God well and know Jesus and understand his teachings through constant reading of the Bible, know that Jesus repeatedly denounced our concern for earthly needs. And instead stressed the Bread of life, which is his body.
This Bread a spiritual. We have it by reciting this prayer faithfully. How often should we recite it? Daily, just as the prayer says “this day our daily Bread”.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Our Father who art in heaven,
Hallowed be your name, thy Kingdom come,
thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread;
and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us,
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom,
the power and the glory are yours.
Now and forever.
Amen.

Can we say that the Lord's Prayer is the most powerful prayer in the bible/Christianity?

Are there any other prayers that can be seen on the same footing?

This is the prayer Jesus gave to his disciples when they asked Jesus how they should pray.

What line of the Lord's Prayer stands out to you the most and why?

Actually, I'm not sure what you mean by "the most powerful prayer in the Bible/Christianity." Prior to his atoning death on the cross, Jesus gave this as a general pattern for prayer to God. But it was a pattern reflecting the fact that he had not yet, through his sacrificial death, forged the New Covenant in his blood on the "tree." For instance, Jesus's prayer asks God for forgiveness. An appropriate thing to do pre-Calvary. But after Christ's death, after obtaining God's full and permanent forgiveness for lost sinners by his atoning sacrifice for them on the cross, such a request is no longer necessary for those who have, by faith, received his sacrifice for themselves. They are, as born-again children, redeemed, justified and sanctified in and through Christ, fully forgiven people. (1 Corinthians 1:30; Acts 26:18; Ephesians 1:7; Colossians 1:13-14, etc.) And so we see the apostle John in his first letter urging Christians to confession of their sin (1 John 1:9) not to pleading with God for forgiveness.

The Lord's Prayer is a wonderful prayer - for the time in which it was given. It still serves today as a useful pattern for our own prayers. But, of course, the underlying principles and truths that structure Christ's prayer are what we should be focused on, not the particular words themselves, prayed over and over, like some sort of incantation, some religious magic spell. Which is why we see many other prayers offered up to God in the New Testament that don't simply repeat the Lord's Prayer, word for word, like an incantation.

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2021
Frisco
✟7,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus gave this prayer for all times. Including after He’s gone. Otherwise he would have said something after His resurrection.

Today's churches have painted themselves in a corner by preaching off of one verse in the Bible, rather than the scripture as a whole. They’re all basing their preaching on this verse: John 5:24. As a result, many truths in the Bible don’t fit any more. The “daily Bread” is one of them.
While the John 5:24 verse is true as it says, the mechanism of how it is accomplished is explained in the rest of the bible - renewed day by day by having the daily bread, the body of Jesus daily, and all the other references below. It is not sufficient for a person to declare they’re saved only once in their life.

“… Give us this day our daily Bread, and forgive us our sins…”; Bread being the body of Jesus, does not negate John 5:24, but fulfills it, in a daily way. Which is apparently the way God wanted it, not the way our churches want it.
For a Jewish person who believes in the Messiah, this needs no explanation. This is the only way they’d understand it. Because of the way God’s provisional law of daily sacrifices worked before Christ. But modern day church missed this point completely, much like when Jesus’s disciples thought he was talking about actual bread, when he was talking about the doctrine of the pharisees (in Mark 8:15)
God is the same Always. Has the same unchanging Personality. He always wanted daily fellowship with us. From the days of Adam (daily walk in the garden), to the daily manna that couldn’t be hoarded more than one day, to the ceremonial law of daily sacrifices for the forgiveness of sins, to the Lord’s Prayer daily Bread Jesus’s body for the forgiveness of sins. The big difference with the Lord's Prayer is that it does not require “works” or other sacrifices as in the ceremonial law, but rather is a daily fellowship with God that results in the daily renewal of our inner person (2-Corinthians 4:16)

The Aramaic Bible was without punctuation. Translators added punctuation:
How do translators know what punctuation to use when translating the Bible?
The ESV version and many world language translations use comma (not period) here: “…our daily Bread, and forgive us our sins…”

Bible references supporting my point:

1. 1 Corinthians‬ ‭10:16-17
Paul said: …there is one loafwe all share the one loaf.

2. John 6:32-33 and 6:51
Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, Moses didn’t give you the bread from heaven, but my Father gives you the true bread from heaven.”
For the bread of God is the one who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.
I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread he will live forever. The bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.”
This chapter (John 6) is full of more supporting text. It starts with talking about some people that were among the 5,000 that Jesus miraculously fed the day before. They spent most of the day looking for Him until they found Him at a remote mountain. He tells them that He knew they followed Him for the free food because they’re hungry. He said you’re working too hard for mere earthly food. When instead they should seek him for the spiritual food he offers, which is His body for eternal life, meaning forgiveness of sins... thus the meaning of “daily bread” in the prayer.

3. Matthew 26:26-29
Jesus took bread and broke ... this is My body ... for the forgiveness of sins.

4. 2 Corinthians 4:16:
Therefore we do not give up. Even though our outer person is being destroyed, our inner person is being renewed day by day.

5. John 15:5
The branch is continually nourished by the Vine.

The correct meaning of the “daily Bread” must be preached properly, for these reasons:

1. The Lord’s Prayer is the perfect Prayer. It contains the perfect wording when talking with God. It is all spiritual; nothing earthly about it. A true believer who knows God well, would want to pray it daily.
Any words we put together are nothing but “filthy rags” Isaiah 64:6

2. Reciting this prayer daily is not “works”. It is an act of obedience; Jesus Himself said we should pray it. Sadly it is only recited at the beginning of sports games in this country.

3. The Lord’s prayer is to be prayed daily, as the prayer clearly states. God wants to connect with us daily. Not just the date noted on the front page of the Bible when the person was saved…

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
While the John 5:24 verse is true as it says, the mechanism of how it is accomplished is explained in the rest of the bible - renewed day by day by having the daily bread, the body of Jesus daily, and all the other references below. It is not sufficient for a person to declare they’re saved only once in their life.

??? It is the Bible, God's word, that declares a person saved for all time upon their trusting in Christ as their Saviour and Lord, not the person him/herself (John 3:15-17; Romans 10:9-13; Ephesians 2:8-9). This forever salvation is implied in the descriptions of the born-again believer and also in direct declarations of Scripture:

John 1:12-13
12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Can one be born and then unborn? The analogy of birth Christ used in John 3:1-8 becomes nonsensical, it seems to me, if the second, spiritual birth must be daily renewed and is undone if it is not. Is this the case with our fleshly birth? Not at all. Why draw a direct parallel between the two kinds of birth, as Jesus did, if they are in this respect so fundamentally different? It is the very irreversibility of coming into material existence, marked by physical birth, that seems to be the feature most prominently indicated by such a parallel. The fact of one's physical being, of one's conception and physical development in the womb, and eventual birth, cannot be reversed or undone. Via conception, one exists, as God ordains, and from that moment onward, nothing can be done to negate or undo this state-of-affairs.

So, too, as John indicates in the passage above, concerning our spiritual birth. A person becomes a "son of God" not by dint of their own faithfulness in renewing daily their salvation, not by the will power of any person, or by any physical means (blood, will of the flesh), but only and entirely by God. And His birth of person a second time into His spiritual kingdom and family is just as irreversible as their first birth which He also ordained, entirely apart from the will or effort of those He has created.

John 10:27-29
27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

The phrase "no man" is pretty comprehensive in its scope of reference. The sheep are given to the Good Shepherd, to Christ, by God, and Christ will lose not a one. No one can remove another from his hand, nor can we remove ourselves from his hand. We are sheep chosen by God in Christ, given eternal life as a gift, not obtaining it through our own daily efforts to sustain ourselves with the "Bread of Life."

It is in light of these things that we read Paul's castigations of the sinful believers in Corinth, but who, again and again, he confirmed that they were, nonetheless, "in Christ," born-again, fellow members of God's family. (1 Corinthians 3:1-3; 1 Corinthians 6:15-20; 1 Corinthians 11) Obviously, such carnal believers were not daily partaking of the "bread of fellowship" with God and yet their salvation remained intact, according to Paul.

“… Give us this day our daily Bread, and forgive us our sins…”; Bread being the body of Jesus, does not negate John 5:24, but fulfills it, in a daily way. Which is apparently the way God wanted it, not the way our churches want it.
For a Jewish person who believes in the Messiah, this needs no explanation.

John 6:31-37
31 Our fathers ate the manna in the wilderness; as it is written, ‘He gave them bread from heaven to eat.’”
32 Jesus then said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, it was not Moses who gave you the bread from heaven, but my Father gives you the true bread from heaven.
33 For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.”
34 They said to him, “Sir, give us this bread always.”
35 Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.
36 But I said to you that you have seen me and yet do not believe.
37 All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out.

Jesus sets himself in this passage in contrast to the manna given to the OT Israelites in the wilderness, requiring replenishment each day. Jesus is the "True Bread from Heaven" who, once received, satisfies forever. Never again will the born-again person "hunger" or "thirst" spiritually, in their "second birth" filled up fully and eternally in and by the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Christ (Romans 8:9-14; 1 John 4:13; Titus 3:5-8). And just so we understand exactly what this means, Christ very explicitly declared,

"...whoever comes to me I will never cast out."

The writer of Hebrews reinforces all of this, explaining,

Hebrews 7:22-28
22 This makes Jesus the guarantor of a better covenant.
23 The former priests were many in number, because they were prevented by death from continuing in office,
24 but he holds his priesthood permanently, because he continues forever.
25 Consequently, he is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them.
26 For it was indeed fitting that we should have such a high priest, holy, innocent, unstained, separated from sinners, and exalted above the heavens.
27 He has no need, like those high priests, to offer sacrifices daily, first for his own sins and then for those of the people, since he did this once for all when he offered up himself.
28 For the law appoints men in their weakness as high priests, but the word of the oath, which came later than the law, appoints a Son who has been made perfect forever.

Why were sacrifices made to God for the sins of the people? As a covering for their sins, a temporary expiation of them. But Christ has once for all atoned perfectly and completely; nothing else is required to satisfy God's holiness and justice. And so, our forgiveness is found in this atonement, not in our efforts, our faithfulness to seek out God, our determination to fellowship with Him every day.

2 Corinthians 4:6-18
6 For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
7 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.

The "treasure" of the Holy Spirit, who has taken up residence in human "jars of clay" (1 Corinthians 6:19-20) exerts in us a power that is not ours but belongs to God. What power? The power of regeneration, of new spiritual life, that enables our holy living (Philippians 2:13). Without this power - the Person of the Holy Spirit - we have neither spiritual life nor the wherewithal to live as we ought to live. What then of our salvation being renewed by, and depending upon, our carefulness in taking in the "Bread of Life" each day?

8 We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair;
9 persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed;
10 always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies.
11 For we who live are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh.
12 So death is at work in us, but life in you.
13 Since we have the same spirit of faith according to what has been written, “I believed, and so I spoke,” we also believe, and so we also speak,
14 knowing that he who raised the Lord Jesus will raise us also with Jesus and bring us with you into his presence.

Here again, Paul rests the believer's spiritual life in the Holy Spirit, not in any human attribute of the believer, making much of suffering, the "death" he experienced in service to God, in which God made manifest His power (not Paul's).

15 For it is all for your sake, so that as grace extends to more and more people it may increase thanksgiving, to the glory of God.
16 So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day.
17 For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison,
18 as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.

In the afflicted service to God which Paul endured, his physical body "wasted away," but his inner self, his spiritual being as a joint-heir with Christ (Romans 8:17) was renewed. By what means? By Paul's determination and faithfulness in pursuing God by which he obtained God's forgiveness day by day? No, by the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit about which he had just been writing. He had explained this in his letter to Titus:

Titus 3:5-7
5 he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,
6 whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior,
7 so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

And in his letter to the church at Ephesus:

Ephesians 3:16
16 that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being,

1. The Lord’s Prayer is the perfect Prayer. It contains the perfect wording when talking with God. It is all spiritual; nothing earthly about it. A true believer who knows God well, would want to pray it daily.
Any words we put together are nothing but “filthy rags” Isaiah 64:6

Isaiah was not referring to the prayers of born-again believers. He knew nothing of such prayers when he declared what he did in Isaiah 64:6, nor of the spiritually-regenerated condition in which they would be made.

And how do you account for the many prayers that appear in the NT that aren't the Lord's Prayer? What of the complete absence of any teaching throughout the books of the NT that the Lord's Prayer is the perfect prayer and ought always to be repeated by believers every day in order to remain saved?

2. Reciting this prayer daily is not “works”. It is an act of obedience; Jesus Himself said we should pray it.

He gave his prayer as an example to Jews living under the Old Covenant, not to born-again believers indwelt by the Holy Spirit and beneficiaries of a "new and living way" made through Christ.

3. The Lord’s prayer is to be prayed daily, as the prayer clearly states. God wants to connect with us daily.

He does this quite apart from the Lord's Prayer.

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2021
Frisco
✟7,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Aiki,
You’re right I did not clarify. I did not mean the Lord’s Prayer is a requirement for salvation. It is obedience, as a child of God. Sure you can say other prayers from the Bible, but this one is priority, and is daily. Jesus said it and implied daily.

To declare I’m saved and go on with my life without this prayer daily shows the wrong attitude. This prayer is inconsistent with God’s ways as clearly described throughout the scriptures (refer to my references in my post yesterday).

To declare I’m saved and move on is the same wrong attitude as the Jews in Matthew 3:9.
The Bible likens it to the “Vine and the branches“. We are the branches. And as the branches, we are part of God’s family now, and yes meaning saved. But this analogy also implies continuous nourishing; an exchange between the branches and the vine. The branches ask and the vine provides. Thus the Lord’s Prayer and the daily renewal based on the daily forgiveness of sins.

I am non-denominational, but studied the Bible diligently for the past 30 years. And God revealed many wisdoms to me.

I don’t mean to offend, but I think people should step away from their denomination occasionally, and consider new truths with open heart, out of love for God, rather than loyalty to the denomination.

I highly recommend reading my post from yesterday again. I have a lot of un-influenced truths there, collected from God over the years.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums