California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
So, I started reading a Watchman Nee book today called "Worship God" (thanks @Bèlla ).

And I came across the following quote:

"The most serious punishment is not to go to hell, but to lose the ministry of the priest. For when God loses His portion, His people lose their portion as well--their blessings."

--Watchman Nee

I got to mulling it over as I went about my day and moments ago I did a Google search on "What is the Lord's portion?"

This is what came up:

Deuteronomy 32:9
"For the LORD's portion is his people, Jacob his allotted inheritance."

And many other links saying the Lord's portion is His people.

So, what do you believe is the Lord's portion?

My purpose for this thread is to gain greater understanding, because I want the blessings.

Thanks!

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: bèlla

public hermit

social troglodyte
Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟830,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I believe the Lord's portion is the set of humanity whose members include all who become like Christ. I find it very difficult to believe Ha-Shem could loose the Divine portion. The question for me is: Is the set of God's portion full, partly-full, or empty? ;)

It's not for me to know, but I'm certain any and all of God's portion will not be lost.

Upvote 0

GospelS

A Daughter of Zion Seeking Her Father in Heaven!
Supporter
Aug 1, 2017
She is The Land!
✟441,830.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God's portion is His dwelling place, i.e. all that are in Christ, His Son. What belongs to the Lord belongs those that are appointed to serve Him. And the Lord God will make sure He gets His portion (John 6:37-39). He set aside for Himself a tenth. They make His temple. (Leviticus 27:30-33, Numbers 18:21, Deuteronomy 26:12).

This Melchizedek was king of Salem and priest of God Most High. He met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him, and Abraham apportioned to him a tenth of everything. Hebrews 7:2

But Melchizedek, who did not trace his descent from Levi, collected a tenth from Abraham and blessed him who had the promises. Hebrews 7:6

For not all who are descended from Israel are Israel. Nor because they are Abraham’s descendants are they all his children. On the contrary, “Through Isaac your offspring will be reckoned.” So it is not the children of the flesh who are God’s children, but it is the children of the promise who are regarded as offspring. Romans 9:6-8

In the same way, at the present time there is a remnant chosen by grace. Romans 11:5

Last edited:
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
So, I started reading a Watchman Nee book today called "Worship God" (thanks @Bèlla ).

And I came across the following quote:

"The most serious punishment is not to go to hell, but to lose the ministry of the priest. For when God loses His portion, His people lose their portion as well--their blessings."

--Watchman Nee

I got to mulling it over as I went about my day and moments ago I did a Google search on "What is the Lord's portion?"

This is what came up:

Deuteronomy 32:9
"For the LORD's portion is his people, Jacob his allotted inheritance."

And many other links saying the Lord's portion is His people.

So, what do you believe is the Lord's portion?

My purpose for this thread is to gain greater understanding, because I want the blessings.

Thanks!

Well, maybe it's like the fat of the offering.

But what's that work out to figuratively to in our living sacrifice?

Perhaps it relates to giving up space in yourself, so God can take possession instead of space for selfish thought processes and impulses ..

Guess I'll think on that some more.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, because in the OT, the inheritance was land inheritance.

However, in the parables - Land is our hearts.

yeah, not sure how it relates to a priest, but that works out well.

So the application question for this line of thinking is, do you dedicate the fat of your living sacrifice to God? And what do you enjoy the most about life, how much is God a part of the thought process, the emotions, how you exist in that?

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I believe the Lord's portion is the set of humanity whose members include all who become like Christ. I find it very difficult to believe Ha-Shem could loose the Divine portion. The question for me is: Is the set of God's portion full, partly-full, or empty? ;)

It's not for me to know, but I'm certain any and all of God's portion will not be lost.

But, do you believe that, as priests, we can do harm to our brethren, such that we lose the blessings of "feeding His sheep"?

When I first read Watchman Nee's quote, what came to mind was the verse, which is also part of a song:

"We bring the sacrifice of praise into the house of the Lord..."

So I figured that if we fail to worship Him in this way (singing), we are denying Him His portion.

But now, I'm wondering whether it's not a matter of mistreating each other. And the especially severe punishment on supposed shepherds that neglect the flock.

Last edited:
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Tone

Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
What belongs to the Lord belongs those that are appointed to serve Him. And the Lord God will make sure He gets His portion (John 6:37-39). He set aside for Himself a tenth. They make His temple.

Wow, there is much to your post!

So do you believe that all believers are priests or just a portion who are to give increase?

Upvote 0

Tone

Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Well, maybe it's like the fat of the offering.

But what's that work out to figuratively to in our living sacrifice?

Perhaps it relates to giving up space in yourself, so God can take possession instead of space for selfish thought processes and impulses ..

Guess I'll think on that some more.

Yeah I thought of it like this also. When we fail to present ourselves as "living sacrifices", we fail to present to the Lord His portion...those we were supposed to lead to Him.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟830,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But, do you believe that, as priests, we can do harm to our brethren, such that we lose the blessings of "feeding His sheep"?

When I first read Watchman Nee's quote, what came to mind was the verse, which is also part of a song:

"We bring the sacrifice of praise into the house of the Lord..."

So I figured that if we fail to worship Him in this way (singing), we are denying Him His portion.

But now, I'm wondering whether it's not a matter of mistreating each other. And the especially severe punishment on supposed shepherds that neglect the flock.

That makes sense. It's hard to imagine God blessing those who mistreat and neglect the ones they've been charged to serve.

Upvote 0

GospelS

A Daughter of Zion Seeking Her Father in Heaven!
Supporter
Aug 1, 2017
She is The Land!
✟441,830.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So do you believe that all believers are priests or just a portion who are to give increase?

I believe it's ALL believers. They make up God's dwelling place. He builds His own temple, a house not made by human hands. We make one body. Each member is serving.

My home is my lot, be it a physical space that I get to occupy on this earth or the hearts of my own family I bring forth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory Thompson

Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Yeah I thought of it like this also. When we fail to present ourselves as "living sacrifices", we fail to present to the Lord His portion...those we were supposed to lead to Him.
That's a good perspective too.

Upvote 0