Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Constantine couldn't have been a Pope since he was never ordained and was never made the bishop of Rome. He was an emperor, which is an entirely different thing.

And there were no non-Catholic Christians in Constantine's day.

Actually, yes there were non-Catholic believers. The Deposini and their followers.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Wouldn't you agree that the Christian's conscience must be formed, developed, by reading the Scriptures? Why else would the Apostolic Church have been studying the Scriptures?

You are right. In my own experience, when I received the Holy Spirit, my conscience was heightened, it became very sensitive overnight. Whatever, I knew to be wrong I never did again. I suddenly had power to resist. But, knowledge is different. I didn't KNOW what every sin was. That I learned over time as the Holy Spirit cleaned up one thing after another.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
You are right. In my own experience, when I received the Holy Spirit, my conscience was heightened, it became very sensitive overnight. Whatever, I knew to be wrong I never did again. I suddenly had power to resist. But, knowledge is different. I didn't KNOW what every sin was. That I learned over time as the Holy Spirit cleaned up one thing after another.
Exactly! We are so on the same page, sis.

Reactions: AbbaLove
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Actually, yes there were non-Catholic believers. The Deposini and their followers.
Care to fill us all in on this group? I have never heard of them.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Care to fill us all in on this group? I have never heard of them.

I wrote a chapter in one of my books on them. I'll find it, and retype it here. But give me some time. (Catholics may not want to read it.)

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I used to be Protestant. We didn't believe in this either.

Believe in what? You would have had to hear about it to believe one way or another? Or are you going to reject it without knowledge?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Believe in what? You would have had to hear about it to believe one way or another? Or are you going to reject it without knowledge?
That's not true. I would have had to have heard about it in order to believe in it. But if no one ever heard of it, obviously we didn't believe it. You don't seem to have any idea how fringe it is. Again, Protestantism (as all Christianity) believes that Yeshua was unmarried, nor did he fornicate -- there were no children.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
That's not true. I would have had to have heard about it in order to believe in it. But if no one ever heard of it, obviously we didn't believe it. You don't seem to have any idea how fringe it is. Again, Protestantism (as all Christianity) believes that Yeshua was unmarried, nor did he fornicate -- there were no children.

ROFL I'm not saying Jesus had children. I never even implied that, and this is the second time you've said it as if I had. And it has been explained to you that is not what was meant, and you still repeat it. He had brothers. He had uncles. He had cousins. James, the first head of the Church was the BROTHER of Jesus, not His CHILD. Do you honestly believe brother and child are the same thing? I first said, "relative" and you jump to children. TWICE???? Is English a second language for you? Maybe that's the problem.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
He had brothers. He had uncles. He had cousins.
Oh, okay. That's WAY more normative -- saying he had brothers is very typical of Protestants. But they don't usually use the word you are using. "Deposyni" is a term used by a REALLY fringe group (glad you aren't one of them" who believe Yeshua married Miriam of Magdala. I'm starting my own thread on that just to see what people think. I'm pretty sure everyone will think it's nonsense though, unless they are into the Davinci Code stuff.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Oh, okay. That's WAY more normative -- saying he had brothers is very typical of Protestants. But they don't usually use the word you are using. "Deposyni" is a term used by a REALLY fringe group (glad you aren't one of them" who believe Yeshua married Miriam of Magdala. I'm starting my own thread on that just to see what people think. I'm pretty sure everyone will think it's nonsense though, unless they are into the Davinci Code stuff.

Actually, that Jesus had brothers is in Scripture. The unscriptural fairy tale that the Catholic Church made up that Mary never had children after Jesus, that she was always a virgin, is not true, and it wasn't necessary for her to be for the rest of her life anyway, just until she bore Jesus.

Then Joseph, being aroused from sleep, did as the angel of the Lord commanded him and took to him his wife, 25 and did not know her till she had brought forth her firstborn Son. And he called His name Jesus.

In other word, Joseph was not to consummate the marriage until after Jesus was born.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Actually, that Jesus had brothers is in Scripture.
Do you think Catholics have no argument? However, this is a forum to discuss MJ issues. The SOP has specifically asked MJ's who are in the churches not to promote their church's teachings. So let's you and me give this a rest.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
Now that I actually understand what you mean, let me re-answer you.

James and the other believers were certainly Catholic, although the Church was not called the Catholic Church yet. It would be called the Catholic Church by the generation of converts, such as Ignatius. But there was Catholic hierarchy of deacons, presbyters and bishops, and there were the sacraments of baptism, eucharist, anointing of the sick, ordination, etc. That's really all you need for it to be Catholic.
James and other Believers were Jewish, and it was Judaism they believed in, except their Judaism has found its Messiah Yeshua.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
James and other Believers were Jewish, and it was Judaism they believed in, except their Judaism has found its Messiah Yeshua.
Yes, you are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. And the PART of their faith that believed in Yeshua, the part that was called ekklesia, came to be called the ekklesia katolica before the end of the first century (Ignatius, Epistle to the Smyrneans, AD 110)

This is borderline, vis. Let's not get into a Catholic/Protestant thing. I've edited my previous post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
Yes, you are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. And the PART of their faith that believed in Yeshua, the part that was called ekklesia, came to be called the Catholic Church before the end of the first century.
Catholic church did not come into being until sometime in 300 AD, by then the corruption was heading towards a religious political power, which it is today.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Catholic church did not come into being until sometime in 300 AD, by then the corruption was heading towards a religious political power, which it is today.

This is getting to the point where I will have to defend my Church, and that would violate the SOP of this forum.

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0