✟15,922.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My Brothers and Sisters,

Did you know that there are 23 ways of being a Catholic? The majority of us on this forum are Latin Rite or Roman Catholic and are not aware of our family in the East.

The Catholic Church contains 23 Churches in communion with Rome, One Western Church and 22 Eastern. No Church is more Catholic than the other, which is why the Church is unique and beautiful in its nature.

The Majority of Catholics belong to the Roman Church, which is 98 percent of the Church, and only 2 percent are Eastern Catholic. This is why the majority of Catholics of the Roman Rite are not aware of the East because of the lack of knowledge due to the Church having mostly Roman Catholics.

Infact, the Church has canonized many Eastern Catholic Christians as saints. Some examples are Saint Rafqa of the Maronites who was canonized by Pope John Paul II ( my Favorite Eastern Saint ), Saint Josephat ( a Byzantine Rutherian Catholic ), Saint Charbel and many more.

The point of this thread is to experience and learn about our Eastern Brethren who are equally Catholic if you are not aware of them already. However, there are some rules to discuss about our Eastern Brethren

1. Follow the rules of CF
2. Do not Bash the Eastern Catholics for theology and practices and spirituality because it is different!
3. Do not identify the East as Roman Catholic or uniates, for it offends them a ton!
4. The Eastern Rite Catholics are NOT Orthodox, thus they should not be identified as such and deserve lots of respect. Considering a lot of the Orthodox will be on this thread, please do not debate on the schism, filioque etc, yet continue in a seperate thread.

If any rules are broken, the thread will be closed. As a Catholic who loves the East, I plan to learn more about the Eastern liturgies myself and compare the Latin Church liturgies to the Eastern liturgies, spirtuality, devotions, art etc.

God Bless you all!

RomanRite

Roman Catholic - FSSP
Jun 2, 2012
✟15,922.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Did you know Pope Francis was the ordinary of Eastern Rite Catholics in Argentina? He even served at the Divine Liturgy as a young boy in the Ukranian Greek Catholic Church and developed a Eastern Spirituality!

Here is a article on this mentioned below
Pope Francis raises hope among Eastern Catholics : The Catholic Sun – News from Phoenix and the World

Here is Cardinal Jorge Bogoglio, Now Pope Francis, Celibrating the Divine Liturgy!

59225_452289311515949_387135902_n.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RomanRite

Roman Catholic - FSSP
Jun 2, 2012
✟15,922.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Indeed! The Eastern Churches worship according to different rites, such as the Byzantine, West Syrian, east Syrian, Armeanian, And Alexandrian. The Byzantine Rite is practiced by 14 Churches such as the Ukranian Greek Catholics, the Greek Church, Russian, Czech, melkite, italio Albanian, and many more. The liturgical language the majority of the time is greek, while we in the Latin Church use Latin because it is our liturgical language.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What will be interesting to see is how the Eastern Church differs from the Latin Rite, and from OO and from EO. After all, much of EO has now accepted the primacy of the pope.

For example, are the liturgies close to Latin or EO/EO liturgies?

Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
After all, much of EO has now accepted the primacy of the pope.

Are you joking? No, no they haven't.

And an Eastern Catholic liturgy is often the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom, which is the exact same liturgy used by the Orthodox. Only difference I've seen (I've only been to an Orthodox DL and an Eastern Catholic DL once each) is mention of the pope in the EC one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Antoninus

Oct 7, 2010
✟1,001.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I have attended Liturgies in a few of the Eastern Catholic Churches. I live 5 minutes from a Ruthenian Catholic Church and go to most of their special Feast days. The last one I attended was the Feast of St Elijah the Prophet where they had the blessing a cars after Divine Liturgy. If any Roman Catholics have Eastern Catholic Churches close by, I'd recommend attending. It is an enriching experience and you get to see the universality and diversity of the Catholic Church.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0