not a sissy
Sep 7, 2006
Sydney
✟14,280.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My parish has been running Lenten Discussion Groups and I have ended up hosting and leading one! I met some new people and it was wonderful how quickly and easily we were able share our thoughts and experiences. I had been feeling quite anxious and a bit down about the group before it started up because of the number of people I invited and who weren't interested (turned out I know quite a few people who attend Mass just to get into the parish school :( ). But I really felt the Holy Spirit moving on this, and I could feel God's care for me. It didn't turn out the way I expected it to, but I'm very glad it turned out the way it did.

How is everyone else going?

mohawk said:
Reading Saint Faustina's Diary for lent

Awesome :)

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,582,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So far my Lent is just doing what is required. I have been watching more Spiritual programming on TV. Thats about it. I'm thinking of delving into the Bible & reading in chronological order. That will carry me well after Lent.

This 'Prayer Before a Crucifix' carries a plenary indulgence on Fridays in Lent...
A plenary indulgence is offered on Fridays in Lent for the Christian faithful who piously pray the below prayer before a Crucifix: "Behold, O good and sweetest Jesus, I cast myself upon my knees in Thy sight, and with the most fervent desire of my soul I pray and beseech Thee to impress upon my heart lively sentiments of faith, hope and charity..."

Upvote 0

Assisi

not a sissy
Sep 7, 2006
Sydney
✟14,280.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So far my Lent is just doing what is required. I have been watching more Spiritual programming on TV. Thats about it. I'm thinking of delving into the Bible & reading in chronological order. That will carry me well after Lent.

This 'Prayer Before a Crucifix' carries a plenary indulgence on Fridays in Lent...
A plenary indulgence is offered on Fridays in Lent for the Christian faithful who piously pray the below prayer before a Crucifix: "Behold, O good and sweetest Jesus, I cast myself upon my knees in Thy sight, and with the most fervent desire of my soul I pray and beseech Thee to impress upon my heart lively sentiments of faith, hope and charity..."

I didn't know about the indulgence attached to that prayer for Lent. It is one of my favourite prayers 'having before my eyes that which David spoke in prophecy of you...' Love it!

I am still praying for you Michie. I wonder if you've seen the Pope's catechesis on silence? Link

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JacktheCatholic

Praise be to Jesus Christ. Now and forever.
Mar 9, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟44,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Saturday we went to Father Silanus Casey Tomb in Detroit and had confession and prayed over his tomb and boght a dozen green sapulars and had them blessed.

Our Church hosts a Lenten Symposium every year and has some of the best speakers possible. For example this year:
Holy Trinity Apostolate

attachment.php

Attachments

• lenten symposium.JPG
    lenten symposium.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 187
Upvote 0

Azureknight 773

IXA the Knight Kamen Rider
Apr 26, 2009
Canmanico, Valencia, Bohol
✟44,295.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Okay, I think I must repost my post from Reilly's Pub:
I'm back! I am gonna remind you all that I am gonna abstain from overusing my laptop starting tomorrow from the usual 4-8 hours down to 10 minutes to 2 hours. I am gonna do it for the sake of Lent.

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟798,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Saturday we went to Father Silanus Casey Tomb in Detroit and had confession and prayed over his tomb and boght a dozen green sapulars and had them blessed.

Our Church hosts a Lenten Symposium every year and has some of the best speakers possible. For example this year:
Holy Trinity Apostolate

attachment.php

I don't live too far from there. I wish I had known about it. Maybe I'll go next year and I can meet some of my OBOB friends.

Upvote 0

JacktheCatholic

Praise be to Jesus Christ. Now and forever.
Mar 9, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟44,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't live too far from there. I wish I had known about it. Maybe I'll go next year and I can meet some of my OBOB friends.

That is a great idea!

If I usher I can go for free too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

elahmine

Jul 1, 2011
✟15,880.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I know I'm not RC, but I do celebrate Lent. Thought I'd join your discussion, but if I'm being intrusive just let me know. Around the time of Lent I found out that I drank so much coffee, smoked so much, and ate so little (900 calories a day) that my stomach has something wrong with it. I'm still going under diagnostic tests. I gave up all caffeine for Lent. To keep this is context I was drinking 2 pots of coffee a day. I am planning on quitting, but I've tried so many times that I'm quite discouraged. So, I'm switching to e-cigs which aren't quite as bad for your health as real cigs. I hope to start cutting down when I have the ability to do so. This Lent is really bringing in to focus my obvious excesses, and I hope to find the root of them and fix the problem. I've always been an extreme person, but there's no excuse anymore.

Reactions: Simon Belmont
Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟798,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
That is a great idea!

If I usher I can go for free too.

I just noticed the price...I'll try to save up for it. I have a whole year, so I should be able to do it.

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,582,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This Lent, why not be more faithful at work?
My head was spinning. There I was, again, driving down the highway after a long day’s work. It was after nine o’clock at night, and I couldn’t shake the feeling of hopelessness. No matter how hard I tried, it seemed that I wasn’t spending enough time at work – or at home – to be successful. Of course...

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,582,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A Lenten Warning from the Saints...
As we today mark the halfway point between Ash Wednesday and Easter Sunday, let us redouble our fasting and abstinence, prayer and almsgiving, and continue to seek a deeper understanding of our faith from Scripture and the testimony of the Church and Her Saints. But let us not mistake any of these things for the purpose of Lent...

Upvote 0