MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I thought I'd make a thread for all of us who want to talk about Lent, and this could be the place we could go to if we want to discuss anything edifying but without the debates/arguments that are happening in the board :)

Anything Lent related! and no arguing! haha... let's begin :D

Reactions: Angeldove97

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟143,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My students asked me last week if I would give up coffee for Lent~ since I'm constantly drinking the stuff while I teach. I told them that I don't think that would be a good idea for me or them :p

I'd rather find a good habit to pick up than trying to drop bad habits. Deep down I'd like to have my husband and I pray the Rosary once a day throughout Lent but I don't know if that's something we could successfully do.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm still thinking on it. As far as I've gotten is getting ingredients for fish chowder for Ash Wed. I did get some interesting Lent booklets that are sort of out of the box type thinking.
Example:
Call someone you have not called inawhile, etc.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,273.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Different churches are having some wonderful missions and presentations.

We always go to an ecumenical luncheon series.

I found a wonderful easy recipe for broccoli cheese soup:

Easy Cheesy Cream of Broccoli Soup Recipe - Allrecipes.com

One Lenten project I am considering is learning Spanish to adjust to our more diverse Catholic culture. I haven't studied a foreign language in 40 years, but my language aptitude will be worse tomorrow than it is today. Even some simple sentences and phrases would help me be more of an outreach person in a diverse world.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Different churches are having some wonderful missions and presentations.

We always go to an ecumenical luncheon series.

I found a wonderful easy recipe for broccoli cheese soup:

Easy Cheesy Cream of Broccoli Soup Recipe - Allrecipes.com

One Lenten project I am considering is learning Spanish to adjust to our more diverse Catholic culture. I haven't studied a foreign language in 40 years, but my language aptitude will be worse tomorrow than it is today. Even some simple sentences and phrases would help me be more of an outreach person in a diverse world.

If you got tips on learning Spanish, I'd be interested in how you go about it. I've been interested in this myself for a couple of years now. I know some but not enough.

Upvote 0

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟143,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Neat article Michie! I was shocked to learn at how long and how intense the preparations were for adults who wanted to join the Church back then:

In the early Church, adults preparing for baptism would go through a catechumenate. This program, as the name implies, involved catechesis, or instruction, about the faith. The Roman-style catechumenate, officially in place by A.D. 200, extended over two to three years and involved intense preparation each year during the six weeks prior to Easter. As the candidates approached their day of baptism (usually on Holy Saturday) they would fast for a few days.

Hubby went through about half a year of prep when he joined. I wonder how much stronger his faith (and my own) would be if we had to prepare for 2+ years!

I think its a good reminder for myself on what the Lenten season is about: a preparation of my own soul to become more Christ-like over the next 40 days and to continue to live in and with the graces learned over that time for the rest of the year.

Upvote 0
Jan 7, 2012
✟15,350.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
If you got tips on learning Spanish, I'd be interested in how you go about it. I've been interested in this myself for a couple of years now. I know some but not enough.

jalapeno!

quesadilla!

frijoles!

con queso!

(learn the important words first)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,273.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
LOL!

I know someone who works with adults for free once a week. I'd have to leave work an hour early, but since I work 3/4 time I have some flexibility.

I'm going to get a program like Rosetta Stone, too.

All this occurred to me when I went into my graphic design program and was adjusting an advertisement flyer I'd made last year that was English on one side and Spanish on the other. We were changing some of the products, and I'd taken new photos.

I didn't want to go back to my friend who'd translated it to put in these changes, so I was going to the Spanish/English translator to make sure I'd taken out the right words, etc. And I thought to myself: I'm a smart woman. I should get better at this.

One of my friends has taken me to Posadas and different festivals and she switches seamlessly from English to Spanish and I can barely manage an "Ola."

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟186,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I plan to give up wine. I like to have a couple glasses with dinner, so it's gonna be a sacrifice, especially as the evil one will ring in my ear my doctors advice to have a couple glasses of red wine with my evening meal each day.

I also plan to stay out of political chat, and to limit my viewing of news. I'll watch the local to catch the weather, but afterwards, I'll turn to spiritual reading.

Also, I plan to go onto a low-carb diet, but that starts tomorrow and really isn't a Lenten resolution, just a personal one to shed 20 lbs.

Jim

Upvote 0

Lynna21

Feb 19, 2012
✟7,620.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This is my first Lent of my entire life so it took awhile to decide what I was going to give up. I decided to give up pop/soda, because I have a bad weakness for it, mostly diet soda. It's terrible for teeth anyway. I'll also give up red meat.

@Jim, I can't remember the last time I watched the news. When I was in my teens I was a political junkie, but it got old and sickening really quick. I'm the kind of person who gets upset even hearing about something upsetting. I get my news online usually.

I've done low-carb diets before and they are very hard. I love carbs! Good luck to you!

Upvote 0

balesom

Miserere nobis.
Feb 9, 2009
Central Valley, California
✟15,871.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm planning on giving up all fast food. In fact, all my meals will be prepared at home during Lent. Pray for me, I may kill someone due to a lack of preservatives and additives. :doh: I'm also going to try and go to Confession every week. The only downside of that is that Stations of the Cross are held at the same time, and I'd really like to do both. :/

Lynna, don't forget to replace your protein somehow, when giving up red meat. I gave up all meat for Lent for the last three years, and would replace it with beans and soy protein. It was different, and I would be a bit weaker by the time Holy Week came around.

Upvote 0

Assisi

not a sissy
Sep 7, 2006
Sydney
✟14,280.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Great thread! I went to a talk last week which have me some ideas, I have some problems eating at the moment, so I'm not fasting (pregnant, so exempt). I'm giving up complaining and I'm getting straight out of bed in the morning as soon as my kids wake me.

Learning Spanish sounds great, I want my kids and me to learn mandarin. I don't really know how to go about it though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: MoNiCa4316
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Neat article Michie! I was shocked to learn at how long and how intense the preparations were for adults who wanted to join the Church back then:

Hubby went through about half a year of prep when he joined. I wonder how much stronger his faith (and my own) would be if we had to prepare for 2+ years!

I think its a good reminder for myself on what the Lenten season is about: a preparation of my own soul to become more Christ-like over the next 40 days and to continue to live in and with the graces learned over that time for the rest of the year.
Shoot, us converts today are a bunch of light weights compared to what converts used to go through way back when. :eek:

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
LOL!

I know someone who works with adults for free once a week. I'd have to leave work an hour early, but since I work 3/4 time I have some flexibility.

I'm going to get a program like Rosetta Stone, too.

All this occurred to me when I went into my graphic design program and was adjusting an advertisement flyer I'd made last year that was English on one side and Spanish on the other. We were changing some of the products, and I'd taken new photos.

I didn't want to go back to my friend who'd translated it to put in these changes, so I was going to the Spanish/English translator to make sure I'd taken out the right words, etc. And I thought to myself: I'm a smart woman. I should get better at this.

One of my friends has taken me to Posadas and different festivals and she switches seamlessly from English to Spanish and I can barely manage an "Ola."
You mean Hola? :)

I love the Posadas & Manitas traditions in December. One thing my priest told me about learning a new language is you always hit a brick wall after a year or so. After you get past that, you are home free.

I've been considering Rosetta Stone myself.

Upvote 0