loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟269,957.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And bragging about wearing them.

Such a ridiculous thing. Do what you think is best for you, as advised by your doctor, and quit worrying about what everyone else is doing.

Yes because during a pandemic everyone else's actions has ZERO effect on people dying or getting sick.

• Informative
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You know what's ironic?

If you guys had followed social distancing regulations and worn masks from the beginning, and taken the vaccine as soon as it was available, this whole thing would be over by now. The whole reason that it's lasted so long is because stubborn people refuse to take any precautions to promote public health.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟903,572.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I think it is ironic that masks are supposed to reduce your "spray" but when people wear one they have to at times literally shout to be understood and get closer than 2 people without masks need to be to hear each other easily. I can stand almost 10 feet from someone without a mask and talk to them but someone with one I often need to get 3 feet from them and it kind of defeats the purpose of one I think.

The heck kind of mask are you wearing?

• Agree
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
I don't wear a mask unless I have to. I have no fear of C19 I've likely been asymptomatic for over a year now.
When you don't have a mask on.... you don't have to repeat yourself or shout and if you have been wearing one all day it is likely your mask it already moist and shouting could dislodge droplets (spray) from a mask.
I've listened to two old women shouting at each other repeating themselves several times with masks on at about 3 feet apart. I bet if they stood 8 feet apart without masks they would have less chance of passing infection assuming that one was.

Upvote 0

*Starlight*

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time
Jan 19, 2005
Right in front of you *waves*
Visit site
✟133,073.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

I wear ordinary non-medical reusable masks, and it happens to me often. When buying something at a store, I often have to repeat myself a few times, because they can't hear what I'm saying. It didn't happen before the pandemic.

I'm wondering how effective masks really are. When they were first recommended, the virus was thought to be spread by droplets, and masks block the spread of droplets. Now, it's believed that the virus is spread by aerosols, which are much smaller and aren't really blocked much by fabrics in typical masks, you'd need something more like N95 to block that.

At the same time, there's evidence that a nasal spray is actually really effective at protecting you from viruses. So maybe, replacing mask wearing with nasal spray could be at the same time much more convenient and much more effective at protecting people from the virus?

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,196.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
And bragging about wearing them.

Which ones?

Do what you think is best for you, as advised by your doctor, and quit worrying about what everyone else is doing.
Yes, of course. We should always make decisions about what to do in public solely based on how they what we want and ignore what it might do to anyone else.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,196.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I don't wear a mask unless I have to. I have no fear of C19 I've likely been asymptomatic for over a year now.
I'm really impressed with the propaganda that has managed to sell the idea that taking reasonable precautions against transmitting a disease is "fear". I don't see the appeal, but it is really interesting how some are so afraid of being perceived as afraid that the narrative has been able to override common sense.

Upvote 0

*Starlight*

Jan 19, 2005
Visit site
✟133,073.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Look at flu cases this year versus every year in the past decade or so for one answer.

There have also been lockdowns, work from home, social distancing, etc. All of them probably contributed to having much less flu cases. I'm just wondering how much of it could be a result of masks, considering that typical masks don't really block aerosol based infections. Maybe they still reduce the aerosol spread by slowing it down?

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟903,572.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
When you don't have a mask on.... you don't have to repeat yourself or shout and if you have been wearing one all day it is likely your mask it already moist and shouting could dislodge droplets (spray) from a mask.
I've listened to two old women shouting at each other repeating themselves several times with masks on at about 3 feet apart. I bet if they stood 8 feet apart without masks they would have less chance of passing infection assuming that one was.

Odd. I've worn a mask consistently and while my speaking is slightly muffled I have yet to find myself "shouting" at people. I suggest that if your mask is dripping with your own saliva you might consider exchanging it. around here anywhere I go free masks are readily available.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟903,572.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I wear ordinary non-medical reusable masks, and it happens to me often. When buying something at a store, I often have to repeat myself a few times, because they can't hear what I'm saying. It didn't happen before the pandemic.

I'm wondering how effective masks really are. When they were first recommended, the virus was thought to be spread by droplets, and masks block the spread of droplets. Now, it's believed that the virus is spread by aerosols, which are much smaller and aren't really blocked much by fabrics in typical masks, you'd need something more like N95 to block that.

At the same time, there's evidence that a nasal spray is actually really effective at protecting you from viruses. So maybe, replacing mask wearing with nasal spray could be at the same time much more convenient and much more effective at protecting people from the virus?

Last I heard, estimates are in the 50% - 80% range.

Upvote 0

*Starlight*

Jan 19, 2005
Visit site
✟133,073.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Last I heard, estimates are in the 50% - 80% range.

That's not bad, although I wonder, is it specifically about the kind of cloth masks that people usually wear? Or does it include N95 masks?

I'm still looking forward to more data about the nasal spray, since I think it could be a really good replacement for masks.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
I'm really impressed with the propaganda that has managed to sell the idea that taking reasonable precautions against transmitting a disease is "fear". I don't see the appeal, but it is really interesting how some are so afraid of being perceived as afraid that the narrative has been able to override common sense.
The narrative is to keep the population under control. Masks are a tool those in charge use when they start to look bad because there is too many people infected and/or dead. I've heard it before in politics states that aren't masking when doing worse they blame it on the people when states do well even if they likely may not be masking as well as a state that does worse they praise the mask.... the mask is our savior all bow to the mighty mask.
When someone gets infected the first thing talked about is....... mask? If someone is infected and all are wearing masks we hear.... crickets about it because it doesn't make masks look good as an idol to the Covid Gods.
Yes some have taken it so far to worship levels of masks IMO. Trust in your mask it will save you from Covid.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟455,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Masks in a controlled environment—"Doctors and nurses wear them all the time!!!" goes the rant—is one thing. Working industrial jobs where it is impossible to mince gingerly around and where one is always touching the cursed thing are another.

I’m lucky because 95% of my day I only have to wear it around my chin. I can virtue signal with the best of them!
Sure, doctors and nurses wear them in surgery. That's because they are cutting into people and are reducing any potential source of infection).

Other than surgery/post surgery/infectious situations or dental work (which is the same thing, cutting into your mouth), I've never seen doctors or nurses wear masks pre-pandemic.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
Odd. I've worn a mask consistently and while my speaking is slightly muffled I have yet to find myself "shouting" at people. I suggest that if your mask is dripping with your own saliva you might consider exchanging it. around here anywhere I go free masks are readily available.
Likely you aren't an old lady that doesn't have a strong voice to begin with in a noisy environment like a grocery store. There are also people who are hard of hearing too. I've seen countless store employees pulling their mask down to talk to one another... almost daily at times.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
Sure, doctors and nurses wear them in surgery. That's because they are cutting into people and are reducing any potential source of infection).

Other than surgery/post surgery/infectious situations or dental work (which is the same thing, cutting into your mouth), I've never seen doctors or nurses wear masks pre-pandemic.
The problem is bacteria differs from viruses in size it is most often HUGE from as small as 0.2 micron to 10 microns while Covid 19 is from 0.1 micron to 0.3 micron and the best N95 masks are rated at about 0.5 microns. Doctors know that masks are not designed to stop Covid 19 but do very well vs bacteria. If you look at some boxes of masks in stores people wear they have disclaimers often that they aren't rated to stop viruses.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟455,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes because during a pandemic everyone else's actions has ZERO effect on people dying or getting sick.
True. If you don't feel comfortable that a gaggle of teens have gotten together on the beach during a pandemic, you should stay home or leave. I would, the same as I used to move out of the area when someone started hacking all over the place. If you think the restaurants or other congested areas are not the place to be with this thing going around, stay home. If its a work situation that you cannot avoid, petition for changes, create a workaround, find a new job (pretty darn easy today, with employers begging for workers).

Take authority over your situation. Don't demand that others create the contagion-free environment for you. It won't happen anyway.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟455,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You know what's ironic?

If you guys had followed social distancing regulations and worn masks from the beginning, and taken the vaccine as soon as it was available, this whole thing would be over by now. The whole reason that it's lasted so long is because stubborn people refuse to take any precautions to promote public health.
Everyone did where I am. You could not get in to any grocery store anywhere without it. And most of us only went to the grocery for a year.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
There have also been lockdowns, work from home, social distancing, etc. All of them probably contributed to having much less flu cases. I'm just wondering how much of it could be a result of masks, considering that typical masks don't really block aerosol based infections. Maybe they still reduce the aerosol spread by slowing it down?
It may be that when people complain of flu like symptoms they are immediately tested for Covid 19 and if positive they don't bother testing for the flu and many could have both.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟455,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Which ones?

Yes, of course. We should always make decisions about what to do in public solely based on how they what we want and ignore what it might do to anyone else.
David Hogg, et. al. It's all over the media how people will continue to wear masks stupidly because "others can't think I'm not a far leftist who does what I'm told". (My words, not theirs, but same intent).

And no one said to ignore others. If you are taking care of a susceptible person, keep your distance and wear a mask, as all rational people would do, pandemic or not. If you are in crowds or where the virus is circulating or in some up-close interaction and you don't feel comfortable, wear it.

If you are taking a jog outside alone, take the mask off before you pass out.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.