LDS The Law of Consecration

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Yes. I don't understand how posting a ceremony is violating this concept.

The temple ceremonies are regarded as sacred, and so we'd prefer that people not hold them up for mockery & ridicule.

As such, what Steve did is akin to someone setting up a less-than-appropriate musical review in the middle of a church.

• Agree
Reactions: Jane_Doe
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Drstevej is well aware LDS consider posting such videos to be highly offensive. I wouldn't (for example) ever post of video of SDA foot washing ceremony on here, because I know SDA perfer that not done and I work in charity as Christ commands.

Foot washing ceremony is not secret. It is private only because we take our hose, stockings off--but not always, esp. with pantyhose and they dry very quickly. Private may be a preference, but if the the participants agree, that is another matter. It's just that most people do not like being on camera. I don't. Private and secret are 2 different things.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
The temple ceremonies are regarded as sacred, and so we'd prefer that people not hold them up for mockery & ridicule.

As such, what Steve did is akin to someone setting up a less-than-appropriate musical review in the middle of a church.

It is still difficult to understand. Catholics hold the Mass as very sacred--they televise it. Baptisms are held as sacred by every church and are often televised. If someone mocks and ridicules a sacred ceremony---that is on them. Even Buddhist and Hindu ceremonies have been videoed---just about every sacred ritual anywhere has---why should yours be different?

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Foot washing ceremony is not secret. It is private only because we take our hose, stockings off--but not always, esp. with pantyhose and they dry very quickly. Private may be a preference, but if the the participants agree, that is another matter. It's just that most people do not like being on camera. I don't. Private and secret are 2 different things.
Privacy is being rampantly violated here.

These videos are taken expressly violating people's wishes with secret cameras. Like I said, I would never ever post such a video of SDA foot washing (or anything else like that).

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
  • In the temple the Mormon covenants and promises "before God, angels, and these witnesses at this altar, that you do accept the Law of Consecration as contained in the Doctrine and Covenants, in that you do consecrate yourselves, your time, talents, and everything with which the Lord has blessed you, or with which he may bless you, to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, for the building up of the Kingdom of God on the earth and for the establishment of Zion."

• Then it is a question of how much time an individual may reserve for his family.

Mark 12
30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour /family as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Your first love must be Jesus Christ and as he is the head of the church that is what you are doing as you give your time, talents and everything the Lord has give you. One of the things the Lord has given you is your family, your closest neighbors. The children God gives you are his children by serving them you are serving God. It's all part of one and the same thing!

Reactions: Jane_Doe
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Mark 12
30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour /family as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Your first love must be Jesus Christ and as he is the head of the church that is what you are doing as you give your time, talents and everything the Lord has give you. One of the things the Lord has given you is your family, your closest neighbors. The children God gives you are his children by serving them you are serving God. It's all part of one and the same thing!

Nevertheless, I was in a non-Christian religion and the Lord brought me out!

Proverbs 3
5 ¶ Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

We should follow God, not Joseph Smith.

Mormon bishops don't ask you if you have some extra time to do more for their church and why should they ask members to teach what they don't believe? That calling isn't inspired by God.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Sigh, we've been over this many times...
Nevertheless, I was in a non-Christian religion and the Lord brought me out!
And I can find many people who converted to the "Jesus Christ lead me our of wayward Protestantism into His True Church: the Church of Jesus of Latter-day Saints".
Proverbs 3
5 ¶ Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
And they quote that exact same scripture.
We should follow God, not Joseph Smith.
I follow God, not John Calvin.
Mormon bishops don't ask you if you have some extra time to do more for their church and why should they ask members to teach what they don't believe? That calling isn't inspired by God.
I have a Methodist friend who really struggles with Methodists beliefs. She is also the Sunday School teacher. She is routinely asked to teach lessons about stuff she personally has no convection of.
Does this conversation has a point?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I follow God, not John Calvin.

I don't follow Calvin. I haven't even studied his writings. The Bible is more important than anything man can say.

• Agree
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
I don't follow Calvin. I haven't even studied his writings. The Bible is more important than anything man can say.
I didn't say specifically that you specifically follow Calvin. I'm illustrating out the pointlessness of the statements made in post #27.

Catholic says: I don't follow the Pope, I follow God.
SDA says: I don't follow the Ellen White, I follow God.
Calvinist says: I don't follow the Calvin, I follow God.
Evangelical says: I don't follow the Billy Graham, I follow God.
Etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I didn't say specifically that you specifically follow Calvin. I'm illustrating out the pointlessness of the statements made in post #27.

Catholic says: I don't follow the Pope, I follow God.
SDA says: I don't follow the Ellen White, I follow God.
Calvinist says: I don't follow the Calvin, I follow God.
Evangelical says: I don't follow the Billy Graham, I follow God.
Etc.

I've never seen any of those statements here. A Mormon says:

Doctrine and Covenants 1
30 And also those to whom these commandments were given, might have power to lay the foundation of this church, and to bring it forth out of obscurity and out of darkness, the only true and living church upon the face of the whole earth, with which I, the Lord, am well pleased, speaking unto the church collectively and not individually—

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I have a Methodist friend who really struggles with Methodists beliefs. She is also the Sunday School teacher. She is routinely asked to teach lessons about stuff she personally has no convection of.
Does this conversation has a point?

She doesn't belong in that church if she doesn't believe what they teach. Shame on her!

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
She doesn't belong in that church if she doesn't believe what they teach. Shame on her!
You would have her just leave because of her doubts?

Maybe relevant fact: She's the only youth Sunday School teacher they have (small church). If she leaves, the youth program dissolves. Do you call her working so that the youth do have a teacher and program "shameful"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You would have her just leave because of her doubts?

Maybe relevant fact: She's the only youth Sunday School teacher they have (small church). If she leaves, the youth program dissolves. Do you call her working so that the youth do have a teacher and program "shameful"?

It is very, very shameful to teach false doctrine. It is hypocritical to ignore the Holy Spirit when teaching others. If the youth program dissolves, the youth can go to another church. If that's not an option, she can invite them to her home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is very, very shameful to teach false doctrine. It is hypocritical to ignore the Holy Spirit when teaching others. If the youth programs dissolves, the youth can go to another church. If that's not an option, she can invite them to her home.
She didn't say they were false just that she did t believe them

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
She didn't say they were false just that she did t believe them

She didn't say they were true. If you don't believe something is true, you shouldn't teach it to others! :doh:

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Drstevej is well aware LDS consider posting such videos to be highly offensive. I wouldn't (for example) ever post of video of SDA foot washing ceremony on here, because I know SDA perfer that not done and I work in charity as Christ commands.
From a Christian perspective it really doesn't matter if those who are trapped in a false religion consider it "offensive" when a certain part of their religion is brought up that they don't want to talk about.

If any mormon doesn't want to talk about anything in the temple then he or she shouldn't. However, Ironhold decided to engage in a discussion about the temple by denying that Phoebe accurately depicted a covenant from the Temple and claiming she had no "proof".

Once the proof was provided now he (and you) want to hide behind some assertion that such things are offensive for you to talk about. But you already are talking about it. If you don't want to, then don't. But don't talk about it and then when responded to try to hide behind the notion that you take offense to talking about it - you can't have it both ways.

Upvote 0