Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
  • In the temple the Mormon covenants and promises "before God, angels, and these witnesses at this altar, that you do accept the Law of Consecration as contained in the Doctrine and Covenants, in that you do consecrate yourselves, your time, talents, and everything with which the Lord has blessed you, or with which he may bless you, to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, for the building up of the Kingdom of God on the earth and for the establishment of Zion."

• Then it is a question of how much time an individual may reserve for his family.

• Informative
Reactions: ArmenianJohn

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Seriously - what is it with the random opening posts that make statements (often unsourced) but little else?

so is this:

"before God, angels, and these witnesses at this altar, that you do accept the Law of Consecration as contained in the Doctrine and Covenants, in that you do consecrate yourselves, your time, talents, and everything with which the Lord has blessed you, or with which he may bless you, to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, for the building up of the Kingdom of God on the earth and for the establishment of Zion."

not a part of temple covenants and promises?

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
so is this:

"before God, angels, and these witnesses at this altar, that you do accept the Law of Consecration as contained in the Doctrine and Covenants, in that you do consecrate yourselves, your time, talents, and everything with which the Lord has blessed you, or with which he may bless you, to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, for the building up of the Kingdom of God on the earth and for the establishment of Zion."

Without any context on the OP's part...

Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Without any context on the OP's part...

So, is this a yes? Is it is included in the temple covenants and promises? You can also supply the context since you imply these promises do not impact family time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
So, is this a yes? Is it is included in the temple covenants and promises? You can also supply the context since you imply these promises do not impact family time.

No context = from an academic standpoint, there's no proof that what she's saying even exists.

She's making claims and assertions, but refuses to offer evidence to back them up.

• Winner
Reactions: Jane_Doe
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
so is this:

They aren't allowed to discuss temple covenants and promises, but this information is helpful to a non-Mormon's understanding of how obedient Mormons must be. I think it's interesting that there are many Mormons living in luxurious homes who are also stake presidents and other leaders.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
"3 We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel."
Articles of Faith 1

The following diagram illustrates the progressive consequences of a Mormon's choice to obey or reject the laws of God.

022.JPG

President Brigham Young taught that “there is no being in all the eternities but what is governed by law” (Discourses of Brigham Young, p. 1). Elder Bruce R. McConkie stated, similarly, that Christ “governs and is governed by law” (Mormon Doctrine, p. 432.) God has said, for example, that He is bound when His children do what He says (see D&C 82:10). He is bound to fulfill His promises, for He is a being of complete integrity who conforms totally to the laws of righteousness. He is a celestial being and abides by celestial law, for any being “who is not able to abide the law of a celestial kingdom cannot abide a celestial glory” (D&C 88:22)...

God has said that no one can come unto Him except by His laws. If we receive and obey His laws, then we will come to know God and become like Him, thus having eternal life. (See D&C 132:11–12, 21–25, 32; John 17:3). It is only by obedience to law that one can become sanctified. Those who, by their agency, submit to law and are governed by God’s laws are preserved, protected, and sanctified through the operation of those laws. Those who do not live the laws of God cannot be sanctified by the Savior through those laws; therefore, they must inherit a kingdom other than the celestial. Each of us must be able to abide by the law of the kingdom we inherit (see D&C 88:21–24; 34–35).
Doctrine and Covenants Student Manual Enrichment G The Nature and Purpose of Law

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
They aren't allowed to discuss temple covenants and promises, but this information is helpful to a non-Mormon's understanding of how obedient Mormons must be. I think it's interesting that there are many Mormons living in luxurious homes who are also stake presidents and other leaders.

Do you think the church just gave them those homes?

No.

Rather, those individuals, dollars to donuts, put together enough money on their own to afford them.

Yes, there are members of the church who work in high-paying professions.

Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As a staff member, you should know that most members here do not want these videos shown as the material contained therein is held to be sacred.

You demanded evidence in post #6.

• Agree
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Oh, yes, there are doctors, lawyers and other professionals in the LDS church, but they aren't sacrificing that pay to live in less expensive homes and help the less fortunate in their wards (or are all the wealthy Mormons in the same wards).

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
At the same time---
1Sa_12:20 And Samuel said unto the people, Fear not: ye have done all this wickedness: yet turn not aside from following the LORD, but serve the LORD with all your heart;
1Sa_12:24 Only fear the LORD, and serve him in truth with all your heart: for consider how great things he hath done for you.
Jer_29:13 And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.
Joe_2:12 Therefore also now, saith the LORD, turn ye even to me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning:
Mar_12:30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
Act 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

Of course, Jesus does add this:
Mar 12:31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Balance is the key

1Ti_5:8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.
1Co_10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
It is to be to the glory of God, it does not say to the glory of any particular church.

I know in my church there are many that are quite wealthy--doctors, dentists and such, or yah---even a foolish Presidential contender. Billy Graham wasn't exactly poverty stricken. It is no sin to be rich. It is the love of money that is the problem, not the money. Job, David, Solomon, Abraham--all blessed. I wouldn't decline such a blessing myself.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Oh, yes, there are doctors, lawyers and other professionals in the LDS church, but they aren't sacrificing that pay to live in less expensive homes and help the less fortunate in their wards (or are all the wealthy Mormons in the same wards).

And you know this how...?

Do you have some sort of psychic ability?

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
drstevej, why do you go out of your way to be offensive? Is the Gospel first and foremost love and charity?

He provided the proof you asked for---that is not being offensive. Do you deny as truth what has been presented? Why so you persistently take offense at your own rituals being shown?? There is not one single ceremony performed at any Christian church that is secret and offends no one when shown.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
He provided the proof you asked for---that is not being offensive. Do you deny as truth what has been presented? Why so you persistently take offense at your own rituals being shown?? There is not one single ceremony performed at any Christian church that is secret and offends no one when shown.
This totally a deflection of actually answering my question.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
This totally a deflection of actually answering my question.

I was replying to this one:
drstevej, why do you go out of your way to be offensive?

As for this one:
Is the Gospel first and foremost love and charity?

Yes. I don't understand how posting a ceremony is violating this concept. Truth is truth.
God hid no rituals. Those done in the temple were not secret. Everyone knew what happened there, believer or not. They were not on public view for the safety of the congregation, not for secrecy. Releasing rituals done in the name of God that are not of God is a kindness to the uninformed. The ritual of the green apron is another. This is a truly offensive ritual. Essentially, you put on this green apron because Satan told Adam and Eve to cover up with the fig leaves. Since when do we have rituals where we do what Satan wants us to do? The bible never says Satan told them to cover up. Their eyes were opened to their nakedness and they covered up, God made them animal skin clothing--makes more sense to celebrate what God did and not what Mormons think Satan said to do.
I am butting in to what was a question asked of Dr. Steve. I am answering what is my opinion and am not speaking for him.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
I was replying to this one:

As for this one:

Yes. I don't understand how posting a ceremony is violating this concept. Truth is truth.
Drstevej is well aware LDS consider posting such videos to be highly offensive. I wouldn't (for example) ever post of video of SDA foot washing ceremony on here, because I know SDA perfer that not done and I work in charity as Christ commands.

Upvote 0