Mar 6, 2007
✟28,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
In Galatians 6:2 and 1 Corinthians 9:21, Paul refers to “the Law of Christ” and says that he is under it (by which I assume all Christians are under it). Unfortunately, Paul is rather vague as to what this law is. So, what do you think he means when he talks about the Law of Christ?

(Gal 6:2 ESV) Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

(1Co 9:20 ESV) To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law.
(1Co 9:21 ESV) To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law.

phoenixdem

Nov 28, 2010
South Dakota
✟9,080.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
In Galatians 6:2 and 1 Corinthians 9:21, Paul refers to “the Law of Christ” and says that he is under it (by which I assume all Christians are under it). Unfortunately, Paul is rather vague as to what this law is. So, what do you think he means when he talks about the Law of Christ?

(Gal 6:2 ESV) Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

(1Co 9:20 ESV) To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law.
(1Co 9:21 ESV) To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law.

I think this has a bearing on the subject, Matt 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

I think the Law of Christ is He was the final sacrifice to remove the sins of man for those who accept Him as their Savior. Christ was the final and full sacrifice for the sins of man. The OT Law was sacrifice of animals and other things for the Jewish people.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,522.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Can you tell me which commands from the 10 commandments are different form the Law of Christ?

What are we now allowed to do that was a "thou shalt not" in the 10?

Old thread.

The Law of Christ is the eternal moral Law of God found in the old and new testaments.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nilloc

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2007
✟28,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think this has a bearing on the subject, Matt 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
I think the Law of Christ is He was the final sacrifice to remove the sins of man for those who accept Him as their Savior. Christ was the final and full sacrifice for the sins of man. The OT Law was sacrifice of animals and other things for the Jewish people.
So what do you think it means then when Paul says that bearing one anothers burdens fulfills the Law of Christ?

Can you tell me which commands from the 10 commandments are different form the Law of Christ?

Old thread.

The Law of Christ is the eternal moral Law of God found in the old and new testaments.
Why do you believe that that’s what it is? What in the texts leads you to that conclusion?

The law of Christ is the law of faith. It is walking daily by faith in Christ seeking His glory and His sheep. It is doing what comes naturally to evey born again believer. The law of Christ is liberty.
Why do you believe that that’s what it is? What in the texts leads you to that conclusion? And would you say that Paul is using the word law not as a list of commandments, but in a less technical sense like he does when he talks about the law of sin (from Romans 6, I think)?

Upvote 0
R

Ron Wood

So what do you think it means then when Paul says that bearing one anothers burdens fulfills the Law of Christ?

Why do you believe that that’s what it is? What in the texts leads you to that conclusion?

Why do you believe that that’s what it is? What in the texts leads you to that conclusion? And would you say that Paul is using the word law not as a list of commandments, but in a less technical sense like he does when he talks about the law of sin (from Romans 6, I think)?
I am led to that conclusion because the whole of Scripture points us to faith in Christ not in law. I would say that Paul is using it as a rule by which we live. We live by the rule of faith looking to Christ alone. If you have to give someone set of rules to live by other than obedient faith in Christ trusting Him for all God sees in us, does for and will do with us, that one is not a believer. Those who are new creatures in Christ naturaly do that which it is their nature to do.

Upvote 0

Nilloc

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2007
✟28,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Paul was talking about love for one another.
Of course, but I was wondering how that fit into what you said in your post.

Upvote 0

phoenixdem

Nov 28, 2010
South Dakota
✟9,080.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Of course, but I was wondering how that fit into what you said in your post.

Christ's sacrifice of Himself on the Cross to redeem fallen mankind was all about love, love of God for His people. Christ showed the ultimate love of His people and Christians are told to love one another as God loves us. We are told to be like Christ. The gift of love is the highest gift that God can give us and that is the gift for which Christians should strive. Speaking in tongues and healings, etc. will all cease, but love will never cease.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Osage Bluestem

Galatians 5:1
Dec 27, 2010
Texas
Visit site
✟11,711.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, what do you think he means when he talks about the Law of Christ?

I believe that Paul is in agreement with John on this.

1 John 3:21-24
21 Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God 22 and receive from him anything we ask, because we keep his commands and do what pleases him. 23 And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. 24 The one who keeps God’s commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us.

I think this post expresses agreement with the above:

The law of Christ is the law of faith. It is walking daily by faith in Christ seeking His glory and His sheep. It is doing what comes naturally to evey born again believer. The law of Christ is liberty.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,522.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

Like Ron, I've drawn my conclusion because the whole of Scripture points us to faith in Christ by the use of the Law. This use of the Law doesn't just stop once we believe, as if we have "arrived," but continues to point us to Christ. Paul is saying the Law is always holy and useful to the believer as long as we use it lawfully. We live by the rule of faith looking to Christ alone for salvation and when we stumble we are made aware of it because the Law is written on our hearts. The Law is the same in both testaments. If you take away the Law and its lawful use you become antinomian, you either don't care about God's eternal moral Law or you become a willful Law breaker. The Law written on our hearts so when Ron writes that;
"those who are new creatures in Christ naturally do that which it is their nature to do"
I would point you to Jer. 31 where the Law is written on the heart. I would also point out Romans 7 and say we may have a new nature but the new nature wrestles with the "old man."

jm

Upvote 0
R

Ron Wood

Like Ron, I've drawn my conclusion because the whole of Scripture points us to faith in Christ by the use of the Law. This use of the Law doesn't just stop once we believe, as if we have "arrived," but continues to point us to Christ. Paul is saying the Law is always holy and useful to the believer as long as we use it lawfully. We live by the rule of faith looking to Christ alone for salvation and when we stumble we are made aware of it because the Law is written on our hearts. The Law is the same in both testaments. If you take away the Law and its lawful use you become antinomian, you either don't care about God's eternal moral Law or you become a willful Law breaker. The Law written on our hearts so when Ron writes that;
"those who are new creatures in Christ naturally do that which it is their nature to do"
I would point you to Jer. 31 where the Law is written on the heart. I would also point out Romans 7 and say we may have a new nature but the new nature wrestles with the "old man."

jm
Certainly the law is writen on the heart of the believer and we do struggle with the " old man". But we must be careful to understand that it isn't the law that conquers the old man Christ does. We don't take the old man to the law to be cured we take him to the cross to be crucified. The law can do nothing to make the old man better. It condemns him and that is good but what is better is to take the old man to the cross and find him crucified there with Christ. We are to reckon ourselves to be dead with Christ. When He died under the wrath of God I, that old man, died with Him. I seek to walk in this life as a man who is dead but alive unto God through Christ.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,522.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
NILLOC, I've had a ton of questions about the Law and have found it a difficult subject to study. The Bible is clear but we tend to interject our own presuppositions into the text we are reading. Sometimes it helps to read extra biblical material and so I recommend;

The Ten Commandments by Pink
The Law and the Gospel by Reisinger
Law and Gospel by Wauther
The Marrow of Modern Divinity by Fisher / Boston

I found my issues cleared up in the first chapter of Fisher's work/Boston's notes, and the others were very helpful. Keep in mind, a Legalist is one who tries to establish his status before God with his own works, someone who uses the Law to gain worth in the eyes of God, this is unbiblical.

jm

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,522.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
And as you read keep in mind the questions I asked;

Upvote 0

Osage Bluestem

Dec 27, 2010
Texas
Visit site
✟11,711.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And as you read keep in mind the questions I asked;

If someone believes in Christ and loves God and others, he has obeyed all of the decalogue.

Upvote 0

Osage Bluestem

Dec 27, 2010
Texas
Visit site
✟11,711.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, that is the old testament summation of the Decalogue, so you agree, the Law remains the same.

j

I agree the decalogue is fullfilled in Christ. However, for Jews who trust in Christ they no longer need to observe levitical laws and Christians do not need to observe ecclesial laws that are man made. Regarding any outstanding prophecies and utter perfection, I believe the future fullfillment of all Jewish prophecy that hasn't been fullfilled yet will happen during Christ's millenial reign on earth.

Upvote 0