Righttruth

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟176,910.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus fulfilled the letter of Law that put an end to all external rituals and began spiritual understanding and keeping of the spirit of the Law. He shared the preparatory day of the Passover with His apostles to end that ritual also by becoming sacrificial Lamb next day.

John 6 elaborates on the spiritual understanding of the communion. Paul with Pharisaic mindset introduced a ritual in the notorious Corinthian church with his typical strategy in early part of his ministry as he was growing up spiritually.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus fulfilled the letter of Law that put an end to all external rituals and began spiritual understanding and keeping of the spirit of the Law. He shared the preparatory day of the Passover with His apostles to end that ritual also by becoming sacrificial Lamb next day.

John 6 elaborates on the spiritual understanding of the communion. Paul with Pharisaic mindset introduced a ritual in the notorious Corinthian church with his typical strategy in early part of his ministry as he was growing up spiritually.

My wife doesn't like lamb and mint jelly either.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Good spiritually. Nevertheless, I wonder how such a feeling with your Christian group. I have had fellowship with Christadelphians earlier.

Their main website includes mostly dead links to former groups.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate

I disagree. Paul, James, and the thousands of Jewish believers in Jerusalem who were zealous for Torah continued to observe Passover each year. Passover continues to be relevant for Jews, including Christian Jews, but it is irrelevant for Gentile Christians, for whom Eucharist has replaced Passover.

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Righttruth

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟176,910.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I disagree. Paul, James, and the thousands of Jewish believers in Jerusalem who were zealous for Torah continued to observe Passover each year. Passover continues to be relevant for Jews, including Christian Jews, but it is irrelevant for Gentile Christians, for whom Eucharist has replaced Passover.

Even Eucharist does not adhere to John 6 but has become a ritual with all kinds of observance in frequency and beliefs glorifying death instead of resurrection of Jesus according to Paul.

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟122,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

The Passover continued each year until 70AD when the Temple was torn down, the Jews scattered, and Jerusalem began to be trampled by the Gentiles.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Even Eucharist does not adhere to John 6 but has become a ritual with all kinds of observance in frequency and beliefs glorifying death instead of resurrection of Jesus according to Paul.
"I am the bread of life" does refer to the Eucharist. But we are going too far off topic. My point was that Eucharist replaced Passover for Gentiles, but Passover was never replaced for Jewish believers. As a Jew, I celebrate Passover every year, just as did the early Jewish believers in the book of Acts who were zealous for Torah. (Acts 21:20) "For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed. Therefore let us keep the Festival, not with the old yeast of malice and wickedness, but with bread without yeast, the bread of sincerity and truth" (I Cor.5:7-8, NIV).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
The Passover continued each year until 70AD when the Temple was torn down, the Jews scattered, and Jerusalem began to be trampled by the Gentiles.
This is not true. First of all, Jews continue to observe Passover til this day. Secondly, the Church continued to observe Passover for quite some time, arguing over what day to celebrate it. For example, Apollinaris argues in the second century for Nissan 14. As a Jew who is a Christian, I celebrate Passover every year. All Messianics do.

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟122,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"I am the bread of life" does refer to the Eucharist. But we are going too far off topic. My point was that Eucharist replaced Passover for Gentiles, but Passover was never replaced for Jewish believers. As a Jew, I celebrate Passover every year, just as did the early Jewish believers in the book of Acts who were zealous for Torah. (Acts 21:20) "For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed. Therefore let us keep the Festival, not with the old yeast of malice and wickedness, but with bread without yeast, the bread of sincerity and truth" (I Cor.5:7-8, NIV).
The Eucharist is a celebrating of the Last Supper, isn't it? The breaking of the bread and the wine?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟122,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This is not true. First of all, Jews continue to observe Passover til this day. Secondly, the Church continued to observe Passover for quite some time, arguing over what day to celebrate it. For example, Apollinaris argues in the second century for Nissan 14. As a Jew who is a Christian, I celebrate Passover every year. All Messianics do.
I know and understand. The point that I was making to the other poster was, that it didn't end the day that Jesus died on the Cross.

Upvote 0

Righttruth

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟176,910.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Yes, I am concerned about Eucharist observance, not what Jews continued to practice

Upvote 0

Righttruth

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟176,910.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Yes, not in the way it is understood by Paul's ritual. John 6 clarifies. Word became flesh. So reading the words of Jesus and living His life (wine signifying blood, blood in turn signifying life) signifies the communion. That should be the belief with newcomers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

1 Corinthians 11:1
1 Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ.

-Paul says we are to imitate him like he did Christ, so lets see what Paul did. Here are examples of 5 of the 7 feasts being kept.

Day of Pentecost
Acts 2:1
2 When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord[a] in one place.

-How did the receive the holy spirit after Jesus died? They were observing the Day of Pentecost that Sunday.

Acts 20:16
16 For Paul had decided to sail past Ephesus, so that he would not have to spend time in Asia; for he was hurrying to be at Jerusalem, if possible, on the Day of Pentecost.

-Paul was hurrying to observe this feast and Jesus has been dead for years.

1 Corinthians 16:8
8 But I will tarry in Ephesus until Pentecost.

-Paul is keeping this feast in Ephesus.

Passover and Unleavened Bread
Acts 20:6(NKJV)

6 But we sailed away from Philippi after the Days of Unleavened Bread, and in five days joined them at Troas, where we stayed seven days.

-Why even mention Unleavened Bread, if it was abolished and no longer being observed. Acts 12:1-4
12 Now about that time Herod the king stretched out his hand to harass some from the church. 2 Then he killed James the brother of John with the sword. 3 And because he saw that it pleased the Jews, he proceeded further to seize Peter also. Now it was during the Days of Unleavened Bread. 4 So when he had arrested him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four squads of soldiers to keep him, intending to bring him before the people after Passover.-Verse 3 shows that they were keeping the Passover and Unleavened bread

1 Corinthians 5:7-8

7 Therefore purge out the old leaven, that you may be a new lump, since you truly are unleavened. For indeed Christ, our Passover, was sacrificed for us.[a] 8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, nor with the leaven of malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

-Paul here is telling the New Testament Christians to keep the Passover and Unleavened bread

1 Corinthians 11:23-25
23 For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you: that the Lord Jesus on the samenight in which He was betrayed took bread; 24 and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, “Take, eat;[a] this is My body which is broken[b] for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” 25 In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.”

-Paul is describing the New Testament Passover service, that Jesus established with His disciples on the night before His crucifixion. From the above passages we see that Paul commanded the Gentiles in the city of Corinth to keep Gods Holy Days.

Acts 12:1-4
12 Now about that time Herod the king stretched out his hand to harass some from the church. 2 Then he killed James the brother of John with the sword. 3 And because he saw that it pleased the Jews, he proceeded further to seize Peter also. Now it was during the Days of Unleavened Bread. 4 So when he had arrested him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four squads of soldiers to keep him, intending to bring him before the people after Passover.

-Verse 3 shows that they were keeping the Passover and Unleavened bread

Feast of Tabernacles
Acts 18:20-21

20 When they asked him to stay a longer time with them, he did not consent, 21 but took leave of them, saying, “I must by all means keep this coming feast in Jerusalem; but I will return again to you, God willing.” And he sailed from Ephesus.

The Day of Atonement
Acts 27:9-10
9 Now when much time had been spent, and sailing was now dangerous because the Fast was already over, Paul advised them, 10 saying, “Men, I perceive that this voyage will end with disaster and much loss, not only of the cargo and ship, but also our lives.”

-Paul is referring to the Fast on the Day of Atonement. Luke wrote the book of Acts many years after Christ’s death and he referred to the Day of Atonement calling it the “Fast”

So why was Paul still observing all of these Feasts years after Christ death, if they were abolished and no longer needed?

Wouldnt Paul have received the revelations on the road to Damascus, when Jesus revealed himself to him that they were no longer needed?

Upvote 0