The last black GOP congressman to his party: Stop the racism, homophobia, misogyny

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
The last black GOP congressman to his party: Stop the racism, homophobia, misogyny
For four years, Texas Rep. Will Hurd has been hailed as "the future of the GOP" — an example of the kind of Republican the party needs as America's demographics change. In other words, not another older white guy.

So when Hurd, the only black Republican in the House announced his retirement in August, members of both parties took notice. House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) told reporters that he was "not concerned about any retirement" except Hurd's.

Hurd states:
The three largest growing group of voters are minorities, people under the age of 29 and women with a college degree in the suburbs. Our brand is pretty bad in those three areas.

There's this narrative out there that we don't care. If people don't think you care about them, they're not going to listen to your idea regardless of what that idea is. And the only way you solve that is by showing up, the only way you solve that is by not saying mean things and saying misogynist things, not saying racist things, not being homophobic or any kind of phobic.

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Michael Steele pretty much said the same thing and he was maligned afterward. JC Watts also called it out.
Comrade! Presidential Trump is great friend to peoples of colored. He is loved by color orange and tan. Critical stuff from evil liberal medium is so unfair!

Your disloyalties are noted!

Upvote 0

GACfan

Aug 15, 2019
Texas
✟77,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Comrade! Presidential Trump is great friend to peoples of colored. He is loved by color orange and tan. Critical stuff from evil liberal medium is so unfair!

Your disloyalties are noted!

He pointed at an African-American man at one of his campaign rallies and said, "Look at my African-American over here! Look at him!" I can think of only one reason why an old white man would say something like that to a black man, but I won't say what that reason is because of the goading rules.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

evoeth

Man trying to figure things out
Mar 5, 2014
✟130,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The only question I have is whether Hurd is the last black GOP congressman ever because the GOP dissolves or because the GOP becomes so explicitly racist that even the 30% of black people that are conservative can't bear to pull the lever for the GOP ever again.

Upvote 0

Scholastica

Aug 25, 2019
California
✟27,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Amusingly enough, the man Trump pointed to as "my African American" has since left the Republican Party over Trump's racism.

Also worth noting that Rep. Will Hurd is also the only Republican who represents a district on the border with Mexico. If his successor ends up being a Democrat, then there will be no Republicans actually on the southern border.

• Informative
Reactions: evoeth
Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Amusingly enough, the man Trump pointed to as "my African American" has since left the Republican Party over Trump's racism.

But he will forever be remembered and immortalized as “Trump’s African American”. Songs will be sung about him, movies made, scholars will be studying him for years, he may even be listed as a disciple in the New and Improved Trump Authorized Bible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Unless the GOP can find some way to begin to attract minority voters (African Americans, Hispanics, Asians and Native Americans), it faces a very dismal future.
It would be so easy to do. Many members of those groups are social conservatives, uncomfortable with abortion and LGBT issues. Many of them have been helped by job growth under the Trump administration. But the Republicans just don't get it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He pointed at an African-American man at one of his campaign rallies and said, "Look at my African-American over here! Look at him!" I can think of only one reason why an old white man would say something like that to a black man, but I won't say what that reason is because of the goading rules.
Awww .... goad ahead

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But he will forever be remembered and immortalized as “Trump’s African American”. Songs will be sung about him, movies made, scholars will be studding him for years, he may even be listed as a disciple in the New and Improved Trump Authorized Bible.
“Trump’s African American” does not flow well and is not going to be made into a hit song. It has no rhythm...... Yes, I said it.

BTW, did you just say “studding”? Are you t try young to get the thread shut down?

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
“Trump’s African American” does not flow well and is not going to be made into a hit song. It has no rhythm...... Yes, I said it.

BTW, did you just say “studding”? Are you t try young to get the thread shut down?

Good catch.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums