United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hell exists. Hell is there.

1. Hades and Gehenna are symbolic references to the lake of fire. When the unbeliever dies, he is immediately in torments in the lake of fire.

Luke 16:22-23 So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham’s bosom. The rich man also died and was buried. And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

Matthew 10:28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell [Gehenna].

2. Abyss and Tartarus are symbolic references to the bottomless pit. The bottomless pit is the prison for demons.

Luke 8:31 And they begged Him that He would not command them to go out into the abyss.

2 Peter 2:4 For if God did not spare the angels who sinned, but cast them down to hell and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved for judgment;

3. The lake of fire is a lake of fire. The bottomless pit is the bottom of the lake of fire.

Revelation 9:2-3 And he opened the bottomless pit, and smoke arose out of the pit like the smoke of a great furnace. So the sun and the air were darkened because of the smoke of the pit. Then out of the smoke locusts [demons] came upon the earth.

Here's a picture: This is Spa - Hell! :ahah:

My father drew this for me. :pray:
where do you get your definitions for hell?... hell is not the lake of fire. Hell has had 4 different terms in the Bible: hell, sheol, tartarus, hades. ALL of these terms have one meaning: the grave. It is a place where the dead is kept. Luke 16 is exactly what it's supposed to be: a parable, nothing more. It describes the Jewry in the days of Christ, and it's corruption

further more, it is impossible for hell to be the Lake of Fire... why?

Revelation 20:13-14 (KJV)
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. 14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Upvote 0

norswede

Jun 9, 2009
✟8,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
The Lake of Fire burning with Brimstone is spiritual. The symbolism revealed!

Lake symbolizes Water
- Washing of regeneration
- Baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins - Baptised in Water [Lake]
- Being born of water - Rebirth

Fire symbolizes Spirit
- The Renewing of the Holy Spirit
- Baptism of Fire - Salted with Fire
- Being born of Spirit - Rebirth

(John 3:5)
Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water [Lake] and the Spirit [Fire] he cannot enter the Kingdom of God.

Brimstone symbolizes Purification
- Used in the purification of temples - The greeks burned brimstone to purify their temples of worship
- Consecration - To make Holy unto God
- Being cleansed of sin - Sanctification

(1 Corinthians 3:16)
Don’t you know that you are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?

Torment symbolizes Suffering
- Trial by Fire
- Affliction - Way of the Cross
- Being chastised by God - Disiplinary punishment of sinners

(Acts 4:22)
We must through much tribulation [suffering] enter the kingdom of God.

(Hebrews 12:5-7)
My sons, do not despise the chastening of the Lord, nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him; for whom the Lord loves He chastens, and scourges every son whom He receives. If you endure chastening, God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom a father does not chasten?

Second Death symbolizes the Death of the Sinful nature
- Dying to Sin [second death] - Releases us from the law of sin and death
- Death of the old man - Crucifying the Flesh
- To pass from death to life - Transformation into spiritual creatures in Christ
- Being redeemed from the power of Death and Hades [grave] - Made incorruptible and Immortal

(Romans 6:6)
For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin because anyone who has died [second death] has been freed from sin.

To be cast into the spiritual Lake of Fire burning with Brimstone is to be baptized of water [Lake] and the Spirit [Fire] consecrating [With Brimstone] the temple of God.

This is pretty much what Satan is trying to make us believe through religions such as the new age movement. That all ways lead to God. There is only ONE way to God and that is through ACCEPTING Jesus Christ as our personal savior. We only have ONE life to make this choice. Jesus makes it clear time and time again that those who refuse him will be lost forever. Satan and His demons are doing all they can to come up with as many ways to deceive us as possible. They know that they are eternally lost and want to take as many of us down with them as possible. Please don't give them the satisfaction of deceiving you.

Upvote 0

Jpark

Oct 11, 2008
✟13,882.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
edifying post....couldn't see the picture clearly or what was written...
The two words at the top are hell and lake. The two sentences are Jude and 2 Peter. The two words at the bottom is the bottomless pit.

My father was showing me that the lake of fire and the bottomless pit is not the same hell, but that they are located in the same location. For a human will never go to the abyss. And no demon will go to the lake until the judgment.

Upvote 0

Jpark

Oct 11, 2008
✟13,882.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
where do you get your definitions for hell?... hell is not the lake of fire. Hell has had 4 different terms in the Bible: hell, sheol, tartarus, hades. ALL of these terms have one meaning: the grave. It is a place where the dead is kept. Luke 16 is exactly what it's supposed to be: a parable, nothing more. It describes the Jewry in the days of Christ, and it's corruption

further more, it is impossible for hell to be the Lake of Fire... why?

Revelation 20:13-14 (KJV)
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. 14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
Do you deny the reality of demons?

Matthew 25:41 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:

Jesus was using Hades, the abode of the dead, and Gehenna, a real physical location, to describe the lake of fire. Symbolic references to the lake of fire.

Upvote 0

Super Kal

the goal is to be more like You, and less like me
Nov 3, 2008
Mankato
✟25,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
no, I don't deny the reality of demons...
but i do deny the Roman Catholic view of hell. This thought of being born again and again in the lake of fire and eternal torture stemmed from Roman Catholicism... do a little bit of study on it. Even the early church was not fully convinced of eternal torture, for even Irenaeus and Justin Martyr pondered annihilationism is their teachings...

and once again, if you actually read Revelation 20:14, it is IMPOSSIBLE for hell and the Lake of Fire to be the same thing.
hell cannot throw itself into itself... don't "over-spiritualize" scripture.

the thing you have to realize is that the soul is not immortal... when we are changed, then yes, it does become immortal (1 Corinthians 15:54-58), however, those who reject God and Christ do NOT receive immortal bodies. Your concept of hell is slightly warped.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jpark

Oct 11, 2008
✟13,882.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
but i do deny the Roman Catholic view of hell. This thought of being born again and again in the lake of fire and eternal torture stemmed from Roman Catholicism... do a little bit of study on it. Even the early church was not fully convinced of eternal torture, for even Irenaeus and Justin Martyr pondered annihilationism is their teachings...

and once again, if you actually read Revelation 20:14, it is IMPOSSIBLE for hell and the Lake of Fire to be the same thing.

the thing you have to realize is that the soul is not immortal... when we are changed, then yes, it does become immortal (1 Corinthians 15:54-58), however, those who reject God and Christ do NOT receive immortal bodies. Your concept of hell is slightly warped.
Then we are in agreement. :) My father told me that the Catholics made up the many hells concept. There is only one lake of fire.

However, concerning eternal torment, I'm not sure really. But I'm convinced that there is a perpetual lake of fire.

Yes, that is true; it is impossible. That is why I believe that Hades and Gehenna were merely symbolic.

I think it's all about determining what exactly Jesus, His disciples, and Paul meant when they used the words destroy, destruction.

Luke 9:56 uses the word apollumi (I'm using my study notes and concordance at the moment :idea:). Now Strong's defines the word simply as to destroy fully. But I'm using the New Spirit Filled Life Bible. :thumbsup: This word means spiritual destitution; not the loss of being, but the loss of well-being.

And the word destroy in Matthew 10:28 also uses apollumi.

Now the word destruction in 2 Thessalonians 1:9 is olethros. And I am uncertain what exactly this word means. :confused:

Upvote 0

Super Kal

Nov 3, 2008
Mankato
✟25,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
also, keep in mind, John 3:16, the verse that is known around the world, also uses "apollumi"...
and even Ezekiel 18:20 says "the soul that sinneth, it shall die"

i dont hold to the concept of eternal torment or eternal torture, simply because of it's origins in history, and how much it surrounds itself within Catholicism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jpark

Oct 11, 2008
✟13,882.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
also, keep in mind, John 3:16, the verse that is known around the world, also uses "apollumi"...
and even Ezekiel 18:20 says "the soul that sinneth, it shall die"

i dont hold to the concept of eternal torment or eternal torture, simply because of it's origins in history, and how much it surrounds itself within Catholicism.
But do you believe in the Resurrection?

Upvote 0

zeke37

IMO...
May 24, 2007
✟20,694.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
what happens in the lake of Fire, lasts forever....

souls get destroyed there...destroyed forever and ever.

after all things are fixed, there would be no need to have uncle Joe or aunt Betty fry forever and ever,

God is not a Satist....
there would be no pleasure for Him or us, from tourturing someone forever and ever.

poooooof...gone forever and ever...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

zeke37

IMO...
May 24, 2007
✟20,694.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
where is this written?
Matthew 27:3-8 Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders, Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What is that to us? see thou to that. And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself. And the chief priests took the silver pieces, and said, It is not lawful for to put them into the treasury, because it is the price of blood. And they took counsel, and bought with them the potter's field, to bury strangers in. Wherefore that field was called, The field of blood, unto this day.
Acts 1:18-19 Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out. And it was known unto all the dwellers at Jerusalem; insomuch as that field is called in their proper tongue, Aceldama, that is to say, The field of blood.

fell from a tree and his guts spilled out...in the midst

he was cut / gutted and hung on a tree

he did not committ suicide, he was trying to stop the crucifixion and was a liability....he was murdered

english it as "he got himself hung", instead of "hanged himself"...

bad translation

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Super Kal

Nov 3, 2008
Mankato
✟25,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
But do you believe in the Resurrection?
Of course, I absolutely believe in the resurrection. However, it doesn't say that those who reject Christ get glorified bodies... as far as I have read, nowhere does it say that in scripture.

look at 1 Corinthians 15:53-56
53 For this perishable body must put on the imperishable, and this mortal body must put on immortality.
54 When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written: "Death is swallowed up in victory."
55 "O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?"
56 The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law.

this all happens int he twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet, as explained in v.52:
"in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed. "

1 Corinthians was written to the church, and ch.15 explains what happens to the church... it's explaining what happens to the physical bodies of those in Christ whether they be dead or alive... it is not explaining what happens to those who reject Christ.

Upvote 0

Super Kal

Nov 3, 2008
Mankato
✟25,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You do well. The argument is settled. You accept the reality of demons and the resurrection. I will be leaving this thread now. :wave:
i've seen and experienced too many things to have the ignorance to not believe in demons, honestly

Upvote 0

norswede

Jun 9, 2009
✟8,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

Hell is being eternally seperated from God. It is the place where those who reject Jesus Christ wait for the final judgement. I believe it to be another dimension of here. In psalms (I don't remember the exact chapter or verse) it describes hell in great detail as a place of torment by demons. The Lake of Fire is literally the center of the earth where there is a literal lake of fire. In the end, I believe the earth will open up and those who reject God, will be thrown into the center of the world that they chose to worship instead of God along with the "god of this world" (Satan) and his demons.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Super Kal

Nov 3, 2008
Mankato
✟25,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
can you show me the Bible verse where it says the lake of fire is the center of the earth?

when it comes to hell, the Bible tells us not only where it is, but also what it is...
Psalms calls it the grave, or sheol... sheol itself is defined as below

H7585
שׁאל שׁאול
she'ôl she'ôl
sheh-ole', sheh-ole'
From H7592; hades or the world of the dead (as if a subterranian retreat), including its accessories and inmates: - grave, hell, pit.

H7592
שׁאל שׁאל
shâ'al shâ'êl
shaw-al', shaw-ale'
A primitive root; to inquire; by implication to request; by extension to demand: - ask (counsel, on), beg, borrow, lay to charge, consult, demand, desire, X earnestly, enquire, + greet, obtain leave, lend, pray, request, require, + salute, X straitly, X surely, wish.

the New Testament supports this definition further with calling hell as Hades (depending on the translation), and tartarus or tartaroo [2 Peter 2:4 (also depending on the translation. this is the only place in the Bible that uses this term)]. Tartarus is the Greek mythological place where the dead is kept... so is Hades. In Revelation 6:8, it tells us:

"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death (thanatos), and Hell(hades) followed with him."
the grave follows death... can't get any more simpler than that.

where is hell/sheol/hades/tartarus?...

underground (Job 8:11)
it's direction is down (Psalms 55:15, Ezekiel 32:21,27)
it is low (Psalm 86:13)
it is beneath us (Proverbs 15:24, Isaiah 14:9)
it is a pit (Isaiah 14:15, Ezekiel 31:16)
we dig into it (Amos 9:2)
it follows death (Revelation 6:8)

the word "hell" was never used to mean eternal torment, for if it was, hell would not be thrown into the lake of fire. It would still be there in that time... Hell is simply the grave.
Let go of the evangelical doctrine of eternal torment. It's nothing but a doctrine based in fear, to convert people out of fear... Catholic bishops and priests used this fear tactic in the 14-16th century to sell indulgences, so that they could pay for cathedrals, boar hunts, and chapels

Upvote 0

Super Kal

Nov 3, 2008
Mankato
✟25,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
can you show scripture which exegetically proves your belief?

concerning gehenna...

"Gehenna was a well-known valley, near Jerusalem, in which the Jews in their idolatrous days had sacrificed their children to the idol Moloch, in consequence of which it was condemned to receive the offal and refuse and sewage of the city, and into which the bodies of malefactors were cast and where to destroy the odor and pestilential influences, continual fires were kept burning. Here fire, smoke, worms bred by the corruption, and other repulsive features, rendered the place a horrible one, in the eyes of the Jews. It was a locality with which they were as well acquainted. But in process of time Gehenna came to be an emblem of the consequences of sin, and to be employed figuratively by the Jews, to denote those consequences. But always in this world. The Jews never used it to mean torment after death, until long after Christ. The word had not the meaning of post-mortem torment when our Savior used it." (J.W. Hanson's, Bible Threatenings Explained).
"Hell" is translated twelve times from Gehenna (or, as it is sometimes transliterated, Geenna). This is the Greek equivalent of the Hebrew word Hinnom, which is the name of a valley outside Jerusalem where garbage and the carcasses of animals were cast into and consumed by fire constantly kept burning. Thus, Gehenna is the only one of those words translated as "hell" in the Bible, that has any idea of fire or torment resident in it. Look at Matthew 5:22,29-30; 10:28; 18:9; 23:15,33 and Mark 9:43,45,47. It is apparent from these texts that the whole physical body is cast into Hell, and not just the soul. Gehenna is also used in Luke 12:5 and James 3:6

Also note, not one single time in the entire Old Testament was this word "Ge-Hinnom" translated as "hell." See Leviticus 18:21; 20:2; Joshua 15:8; 18:16; 2 Kings 23:10; 2 Chronicles 28:3; 33:6; Nehemiah 11:30; Jeremiah 7:30-33; 19:2, 6; 32:35.

notice what 1 Corinthians 15:26 says...
"The last enemy to be destroyed is death." what is represented by death?... the grave.
read 1 Corinthians 15:55 again...
"oh death, where is thy sting? oh grave, where is thy victory?"
this happens when death and the grave are... yep, you got it, thrown into the lake of fire, and as I've stated before, hell cannot be the lake of fire because hell is being thrown into the lake of fire.

Upvote 0

Jpark

Oct 11, 2008
✟13,882.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
can you show scripture which exegetically proves your belief?

concerning gehenna...

"Hell" is translated twelve times from Gehenna (or, as it is sometimes transliterated, Geenna). This is the Greek equivalent of the Hebrew word Hinnom, which is the name of a valley outside Jerusalem where garbage and the carcasses of animals were cast into and consumed by fire constantly kept burning. Thus, Gehenna is the only one of those words translated as "hell" in the Bible, that has any idea of fire or torment resident in it. Look at Matthew 5:22,29-30; 10:28; 18:9; 23:15,33 and Mark 9:43,45,47. It is apparent from these texts that the whole physical body is cast into Hell, and not just the soul. Gehenna is also used in Luke 12:5 and James 3:6

Also note, not one single time in the entire Old Testament was this word "Ge-Hinnom" translated as "hell." See Leviticus 18:21; 20:2; Joshua 15:8; 18:16; 2 Kings 23:10; 2 Chronicles 28:3; 33:6; Nehemiah 11:30; Jeremiah 7:30-33; 19:2, 6; 32:35.

notice what 1 Corinthians 15:26 says...
"The last enemy to be destroyed is death." what is represented by death?... the grave.
read 1 Corinthians 15:55 again...
"oh death, where is thy sting? oh grave, where is thy victory?"
this happens when death and the grave are... yep, you got it, thrown into the lake of fire, and as I've stated before, hell cannot be the lake of fire because hell is being thrown into the lake of fire.
Note that I didn't say if the torment was physical or spiritual, I simply said the location was spiritual.

But yes, I believe the torment is spiritual.

My doctrine:

When a unbeliever dies (Luke 16:22), the body rots and returns to dust (soil; Psalm 90:3) and the immortal spirit and soul is immediately in torments in the lake of fire (Luke 16:23).

The location of the lake of fire is spiritual and the torment is spiritual. That is why the lake of fire is everlasting.

My father's opinion concerning hell (paraphrase):

If I died unbelieving, then I would be in hell. I would feel too much pain in my spirit and soul. That's why I would want to die forever to terminate my pain. But in hell, I would never die. That's why the pain continues forever. That's why we must go to heaven.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Super Kal

Nov 3, 2008
Mankato
✟25,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married