Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟730,635.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
JohnR7 said:
I But when I look at the archeology I am amazed that even by todays standards they were able to build some amazing buildings.
Out side of the Temple, the structures built by the ancient Hebrews were rather modest. Yet even the building of the 2nd Temple was done by the Persians. The ancient Hebrews were sheep herders. They were not educated people. They were not builders. They lived a very modest life.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟730,635.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Nathan Poe said:
Meaning the Bible isn't accurate about the enemies of Israel -- they weren't the blundering idiots the Bible makes them out to be.
Since we're now looking at the flip side of things, nor is the Bible accurate about the ancient Hebrews either--they weren't the warriors and conquerors the Bible makes them out to be.

Upvote 0

BeamMeUpScotty

Senior Veteran
Dec 15, 2004
Kanagawa, Japan
✟18,437.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
JohnR7 said:
What is this? Pick and choose. Can I pick and choose something from science that I can demand proof for? Would that prove to you that evolutuion is not true?

Of course we can pick and choose. You do it all the time. Which part of the Bible do you NOT want to defend and why?

If there is something from evolutionary studies that doesn't have evidence, scientists will say so and send their grad students scrambling to do research (and may even do some themselves, hehehe). Not having evidence or not knowing an answer does not falsify something out of hand. It also doesn't prove that another alternative (i.e., goddidit) is true. So, no, it wouldn't necissarily prove to me that evolution is not true. You would have to show evidence that would show evolution in some way is false. And if what you showed was valid, I think you would become exceptionally famous.

JohnR7 said:
Actually, it is a shame that so much is known about Mary & Joseph but the popular myths about her tend to get more attention than the real story does.

As many have asked before, evidence for this? What popular myths are you talking about? That she gave birth as a virgin? If she did, why do they trace Jesus' lineage through Joseph if he had nothing to do with it?

JohnR7 said:
The catholic church believes that Mary was a virgin all of her life and I feel the evidence is sufficent for that.

What does it matter if the Catholic church believes it? Historically, the Catholic church is a bigger "flip-flopper" than all the American politicians combined.

"Evidence"? You keep saying this word. I do not think it means what you think it means. Please show us.

JohnR7 said:
As far as the resurrection is concerned. The resurrection power of God is already at work in our lives. The resurrection is much more powerful than an atomic bomb. The bomb can only destroy, but the resurrection power of God can give life.

Having a drunken one-night stand can also give life--still doesn't prove the resurrection actually happened.

One caveat here: as I realize this is a Christian forum, the above statement is not meant to denegrate your faith in the resurrection or its (supposed) power. I'm simply saying there is no evidence it actually happened.

Reactions: Cirbryn
Upvote 0

random_guy

Senior Veteran
Jan 30, 2005
✟3,457.00
Faith
Christian
JohnR7 said:
That is not my "logic" at all.

But it is. For example, we found the remains of Troy, and it's possible that we've also discovered Odysseus's tomb (I think they're still trying to verify it), does that mean the [SIZE=-1]Odyssey is true? Should I go plant an oar out in my lawn in order to appease Poisenden?[/SIZE]

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
random_guy said:
does that mean the [SIZE=-1]Odyssey is true?[/SIZE]

There is more reason to believe that the Troy war took place now that they have actually found Troy. But even then it does not solve the age old question: Did Helen run off with her boyfriend as her boyfriend insists. Or was she kidnapped as her husband insisted? What part did Venus really play in the saga between Helen and Paris?

If the stories we read about in the Odyssey are true or not, they still have value as a allegory. If it were not for greek mythology then Dr Fraud and his accomplice Dr Spook would have had a lot less to write about and maybe their books would not have been so popluar.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
JohnR7 said:
If the stories we read about in the Odyssey are true or not, they still have value as a allegory. If it were not for greek mythology then Dr Fraud and his accomplice Dr Spook would have had a lot less to write about and maybe their books would not have been so popluar.

Poor Johnny -- so busy trying to make fun of people, he forgot to make sense. :scratch:

Reactions: Willtor
Upvote 0

BeamMeUpScotty

Senior Veteran
Dec 15, 2004
Kanagawa, Japan
✟18,437.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
JohnR7 said:
they still have value as a allegory

This is all many of us are trying to say about the many parts of the Bible which cannot be factually correct. Why would the ancient Hebrews be incapable of writing in a metaphorical sense?

Upvote 0