Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As can be clearly seen in Jesus' statement above concerning the future (to Him and His disciples at that time) judgment, some would beg to enter the kingdom of heaven based on acts that seemed to parallel ministries engaged in by His own People, but Jesus' response would be that HE NEVER KNEW THEM. He never had intimate, personal knowledge of them as friends of His - His spiritual family. This indicates a KNOWLEDGE LIMITATION of a very specific kind. You are arguing against the clear statements of Jesus Himself concerning God's knowledge of those who are His own vs. those who are not. Yes, I adhere to a position very similar to Open Theism - essentially the same in fact. But putting a label on it doesn't change its Scriptural veracity and exegetical validity.
Never knowing them relationally is not equivalent to not knowing them at all.

If you want to know the Christian definition of God’s omniscience here it is:

"Omniscient" means "all-knowing." Scripture declares that God's eyes run everywhere (Job 24:23; Psalms 33:13-15, 139:13-16; Proverbs 15:3; Jeremiah 16:17; Hebrews 4:13). He searches all hearts and observes everyone's ways (1 Samuel 16:7; 1 Kings 8:39; 1 Chronicles 28:9; Psalms 139:1-6, 23; Jeremiah 17:10; Luke 16:15; Romans 8:27; Revelation 2:23). In other words, he knows everything all of the time. He knows the future no less than the past and the present, and possible events that never happen no less than the actual events that do (1 Samuel 23:9-13; 2 Kings 13:19; Psalms 81:14-15; Isaiah 48:18-19). He does not have to acquire information about things; all his knowledge is immediately and directly before his mind. The authors of the Bible stood in awe of the capacity of God's mind (Psalms 139:1-6; 147:5; Isaiah 40:13-14, 28; cf. Romans 11:33-36).

I still have not seen any Scriptural veracity nor exegetical validity from your posts. I have seen your eisegesis.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paul James

Apr 14, 2020
Christchurch
✟3,275.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Here's the problem with that reasoning James, and I'll address your concluding statement first as most significant. IF God "transcends" time and space, then you are saying that He is infinite and "transcendent" in His very Being - infinite in every way. Unfortunately for God (and you), this makes it impossible for Him to have any kind of genuine personal relationship with you or anyone else. God's attempt to reveal Himself to man accurately in His written Word was a massive failure, according to the reasoning you have presented in your statements above. The "anthropomorphism" argument is a worn-out falsehood holding to the idea that God is so utterly, fundamentally incomprehensible to man that He had to "dumb down" His own Person and Nature and attributes in order to present Himself in some sort of partially comprehensible and relatable form to man. God's usage of human limitation terminology is not necessarily an accurate representation of Himself, He is just playing "make believe" in order to create some kind of fantasy relationship between Himself and man. The "anthropomorphism" argument disparages God and His Word James, so it is a lie. I reject it utterly and unreservedly. I will no longer acknowledge it if anyone introduces it into a discussion like this. It is beneath every Christian to even give it a moment's consideration. It is blasphemy.
If we could work God out with our finite minds, then He wouldn't be God. He has revealed that much of Himself in the Bible for us to know that He is the Living God who created the whole universe and this world and everything in it just by telling it exist from absolutely nothing by a stupendous power that we could never imagine. We have absolutely no way of being able to even remotely conceive of how that could happen, but it did.

To show the world who He really is, and for us finite human beings to gain some awareness of Him, He sent His only begotten Son to be born as a baby and became a truly human being that we can relate to, and yet continue to be divine in order to take upon Himself the eternal wrath of God when he hung on the cross for our sin.

This is the attribute of God's love which, in theological terms, is called Divine Condescension, that God presented Himself in a form [Jesus Christ] in which we can understand and relate to Him as someone we can have fellowship with.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Paul James

Apr 14, 2020
Christchurch
✟3,275.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
This post seems like yet another convoluted attempt to "get God off the hook" some all the evil in the world, that he openly claims responsibility for.
Not clear which post you are referring to.

Upvote 0

Ivan Hlavanda

Mar 27, 2020
York
✟83,831.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God hoped

You are putting limits on God if you are claiming that God doesn't know everything. That God does need to find out. God has no limits, He is not human to have them.

To your claim about God regretting. First of all, God doesn't feel like us mare humans do, His feelings are so much complex, none of us can even comprehend them. Now, just because God does regret something, doesn't mean He would do it differently. Even when He regrets things, it's still the best and right thing He has done. I give you an example: A child does something completely wrong, let's say he lies about his homework so he can play. The parent finds out and slaps the child few times. The parent sees the child crying, he regrets to hurting the child, but he had to discipline him, and to slap him was the best option, he regrets it true, but he had to do it, otherwise the child would lie again.

So why does God regrets creating us? Does this imply God didn't know we would sin. NO, He knew, He was just shocked by the pain and sorrow it had on Him. Yes He knew we would cause Him pain He was just shocked...like when Jesus said on the cross 'My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?' Jesus of course knew Father would abandon Him the 'why' is not a question looking for an answer, but a way of expressing the horrors of abandonment.

So God when He said He regretted creating us was expressing the horrors of what the humanity became, even though He fully knew it.

Upvote 0

thomas_t

Blessings Collector
Nov 9, 2019
Bamberg
✟33,904.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you.
You are a making a very important point here: for believers, it seems to be enough to think God has all-time all-embracing knowledge of everything.
But there are two problems with this line of reasoning:
no verse can be found to substanciate such a reasoning:
here, Christianity goes beyond what is actually stated in the Bible, I think, setting a (bad) example of man purportedly being entitled to add to God's word when they should not!
If Bible does not claim omniscience, neither should man!
He certainly has the power to know everything, that's beyond doubt.
The second problem being... the moment you discuss with atheists and or doubters... the assumend omniscience of God always backfires, I think.
90% of all Christians don't seem to discuss with them anyways... but those who do have to pay the price for their doctrine it seems.

Also, who would like the idea of an always-helicopter-parenting God?
God always having to go through all the information there is... seems like a burden for him. This is at least what I sometimes think.

The problem that I see with the doctrine of God's potential non-omniscience is this: once people buy it... they can't wait to ask themselves what it is God knows and what he doesn't. Which is futile, I think.
I've made this experience once.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One of the greatest misunderstandings among Christians today is the scope and breadth of God's so-called "omniscience" (a word not found in the Scriptures). As one of His attributes, one would think that Christian theologians have thoroughly studied the Word of God and analyzed to death every text relevant to this aspect of God's Being and Mind. Surely there can be no mistake. Surely God has full knowledge of all that has ever existed and will exist in the future from eternity past, before He created everything. This is the generally held view among Christians. When you couple that belief with the idea that God's "omnipotence" and origination of everything as the great Creator makes Him culpable and personally responsible for all of the evil and suffering in our world - it's very difficult to resolve these ideas with the representation of God in the Scriptures as a God of holiness and love.

The biggest problem in all of this is that the Scriptures do not, in fact, reveal God's knowledge as being infinite according to the "omniscience" concept at all. Quite the opposite in fact. From Genesis to Revelation, God indicates (and states outright) that He does NOT "know everything about everyone". That's a very difficult reality check for Christians and a bitter pill to swallow considering the teachings received in most "churches" from cradle to grave.

I'll just touch on a few texts and point out some things most Christians miss completely when reading God's Word. One of the most glaring examples of God's knowledge limitations in Genesis is found in chapter 18 where the God appeared in the form of three men and had lunch with Abraham and then informed him of their agenda and purpose in this visitation. "20 And the Lord said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous; 21 I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know." Note that God did NOT "foreknow" the nature and extent of the wickedness in these cities. The "cry of it" came to him via angelic surveillance reports most likely. God went down to the cities personally to investigate and inspect them to see whether or not the reports were accurate. He was not about to destroy them based on second-hand information. This is a fascinating glimpse into God's knowledge limitations. In fact, He reveals the timeline of His acquisition of knowledge even more specifically and clearly in Psalm 139, "O lord, thou hast searched me, and known me. 2 Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off. 3 Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways. 4 For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O Lord, thou knowest it altogether. 5 Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me. 6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it." Note that David indicates comprehensive knowledge of him as a person by God based on "searching" him - a process of investigation. This would definitely not be necessary if God has full knowledge of everyone and everything that would ever exist from eternity past. Later in the chapter David writes (under the Holy Spirit's guidance and inspiration), "23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: 24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." God would NOT have to "search" him out to determine the thoughts and intents of his heart if He had "omniscient" knowledge of David from eternity past. Obviously, this latter scenario is NOT the true nature of God's knowledge. God's knowledge is actively growing and developing continuously as people and circumstances change. It is dynamic and He is involved in discovery WITH His people.

Back in Genesis, this "searching" process is confirmed in the proposed sacrifice of Isaac by Abraham on an altar. His hand was withheld from killing his own son at the last moment in these terms, "11 And the angel of the Lord called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I. 12 And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me." Prior to Abraham's obedience in relation to this horrible requirement and sacrifice, God was unsure of the level of His trust and faith in Him and obedience to Him. This test set all questions in that area to rest for God. This test proved that Abraham was completely committed to God and to obedience to Him above all else. God's knowledge expanded and updated according to these new facts and revealed realities.

There is much much more in God's Word on this subject and in every case, God repeatedly confirms that He does NOT have full, comprehensive knowledge of each and every individual on this planet at any given point in history. He goes out of His way to carefully investigate His personal friends and People and gain very thorough knowledge of that very select group. Beyond that, He has general knowledge of what is going on among the rest of humanity and how that may affect His People, but He does not have infinite knowledge of all details. His all-encompassing knowledge is limited to the functions and details involved with sustaining and maintaining this reality and physical realm.

I trust these insights will be helpful to many seekers after Truth here.
The matter of God’s knowledge and his action or lack of action are very complex. They are so complex that no theologian can search out the answers even if they memorized the whole Bible and are fluent in Greek and Hebrew. God actually hides some matters from the learned (likely wise and informed in their own eyes.) To understand the ability and mind of God requires God to
open the mind and explain Himself. So really understanding God is not possible on our own but He is able to communicate Himself truthfully to those who fulfill the conditions.

Now, the poster has made a mistake in assigning blame or responsibility if one knows. This is false. Knowing does not link to responsibility. Let’s look at something positive. When Jesus praises the servants who did well with what they were given, he didn’t take responsibility for this. He wasn’t praising himself even though as God he would have known this outcome. If I know my son or anyone I’m not connected to will pass his/their final exams, doesn’t mean I can take any credit. I’m not responsible for the accomplishments of my children, even though I know they’ll do well.

God knowing the choices freely made by people does not make God responsible for those choices. Just Human law does not hold a person responsible if they know doing XYZ will result in Mr. H doing ABC if ABC, is illegal. Mr. H is always responsible for his own choices. Adam tried blaming Eve for his choice and God did not by it. Seems to be the tendency to blame someone else and the idea that God knows so He’s responsible is convenient.

It is false.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This post seems like yet another convoluted attempt to "get God off the hook" some all the evil in the world, that he openly claims responsibility for.
You are not the first to accuse God of evil.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
One of the greatest misunderstandings among Christians today is the scope and breadth of God's so-called "omniscience" (a word not found in the Scriptures). As one of His attributes, one would think that Christian theologians have thoroughly studied the Word of God and analyzed to death every text relevant to this aspect of God's Being and Mind. Surely there can be no mistake. Surely God has full knowledge of all that has ever existed and will exist in the future from eternity past, before He created everything. This is the generally held view among Christians. When you couple that belief with the idea that God's "omnipotence" and origination of everything as the great Creator makes Him culpable and personally responsible for all of the evil and suffering in our world - it's very difficult to resolve these ideas with the representation of God in the Scriptures as a God of holiness and love.

The biggest problem in all of this is that the Scriptures do not, in fact, reveal God's knowledge as being infinite according to the "omniscience" concept at all. Quite the opposite in fact. From Genesis to Revelation, God indicates (and states outright) that He does NOT "know everything about everyone". That's a very difficult reality check for Christians and a bitter pill to swallow considering the teachings received in most "churches" from cradle to grave.

I'll just touch on a few texts and point out some things most Christians miss completely when reading God's Word. One of the most glaring examples of God's knowledge limitations in Genesis is found in chapter 18 where the God appeared in the form of three men and had lunch with Abraham and then informed him of their agenda and purpose in this visitation. "20 And the Lord said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous; 21 I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know." Note that God did NOT "foreknow" the nature and extent of the wickedness in these cities. The "cry of it" came to him via angelic surveillance reports most likely. God went down to the cities personally to investigate and inspect them to see whether or not the reports were accurate. He was not about to destroy them based on second-hand information. This is a fascinating glimpse into God's knowledge limitations. In fact, He reveals the timeline of His acquisition of knowledge even more specifically and clearly in Psalm 139, "O lord, thou hast searched me, and known me. 2 Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off. 3 Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways. 4 For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O Lord, thou knowest it altogether. 5 Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me. 6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it." Note that David indicates comprehensive knowledge of him as a person by God based on "searching" him - a process of investigation. This would definitely not be necessary if God has full knowledge of everyone and everything that would ever exist from eternity past. Later in the chapter David writes (under the Holy Spirit's guidance and inspiration), "23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: 24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." God would NOT have to "search" him out to determine the thoughts and intents of his heart if He had "omniscient" knowledge of David from eternity past. Obviously, this latter scenario is NOT the true nature of God's knowledge. God's knowledge is actively growing and developing continuously as people and circumstances change. It is dynamic and He is involved in discovery WITH His people.

Back in Genesis, this "searching" process is confirmed in the proposed sacrifice of Isaac by Abraham on an altar. His hand was withheld from killing his own son at the last moment in these terms, "11 And the angel of the Lord called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I. 12 And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me." Prior to Abraham's obedience in relation to this horrible requirement and sacrifice, God was unsure of the level of His trust and faith in Him and obedience to Him. This test set all questions in that area to rest for God. This test proved that Abraham was completely committed to God and to obedience to Him above all else. God's knowledge expanded and updated according to these new facts and revealed realities.

There is much much more in God's Word on this subject and in every case, God repeatedly confirms that He does NOT have full, comprehensive knowledge of each and every individual on this planet at any given point in history. He goes out of His way to carefully investigate His personal friends and People and gain very thorough knowledge of that very select group. Beyond that, He has general knowledge of what is going on among the rest of humanity and how that may affect His People, but He does not have infinite knowledge of all details. His all-encompassing knowledge is limited to the functions and details involved with sustaining and maintaining this reality and physical realm.

Garbage. Your god is way too small. I won't even bother to refute your claims. They are beyond ridiculous.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Garbage. Your god is way too small. I won't even bother to refute your claims. They are beyond ridiculous.
Aussie Pete, the view expressed in the OP is not uncommon. I’ve heard this before. I think it’s worth addressing.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Aussie Pete, the view expressed in the OP is not uncommon. I’ve heard this before. I think it’s worth addressing.
I'll pray about. My first reaction is, "they have to be kidding". I did not realise that others are equally ignorant of God and His ways.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Except God is not evil and does no evil. You may not like what God does, but you are on dangerous ground when you accuse Him of doing evil.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'll pray about. My first reaction is, "they have to be kidding". I did not realise that others are equally ignorant of God and His ways.
There are a surprising lot of ignorant people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't accuse him of anything. I just take him at his word, when he says he creates evil.
You purposely choose to misunderstand it twisting the words to convey what the author didn’t say. There is such a thing as an “evil day” and no one thinks this means a day is making morally bad choices.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I don't accuse him of anything. I just take him at his word, when he says he creates evil.
Are you referring to Isaiah 46:7? The King James and other, older versions translate the Hebrew word as "evil". It can equally be translated "adversity" or "calamity" as in more modern translations.

For sure God brings calamity on people. He does so rarely.

I wonder how many people wish that God had stopped Hitler before he declared war? God is merciful and gracious, loving and kind. He withholds His righteous judgements for now. God needs to do little to bring adversity on the world. We are well able to bring it on ourselves.
James 1:13
"When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He tempt anyone."

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
if he cannot be called omniscient, omnipotent or omnipresent then he cannot called God. it's not a scripture thing, it's a logic thing. If God is not infinite in all ways then why the heck am I worshiping him? it also points to God as a part of a system rather than the creator of that system. The first verse tells us God preexisted space and time so and he is not limited by it. His outside incarnational "visits" must be an example of anthropomorphism because if we are saying he has a body which has limits this disqualifies him from being God.

Ps 50 says "If I were hungry I would not tell you, for the world is mine, and all that is in it. Do I eat the flesh of bulls or drink the blood of goats?" In here is an anthropomorphic rhetorical challenge which essentially is did you really think God needs to eat and drink?

I'm curious to know how do you see God stripped of his omnis? does he have physical form? does he have limits? Tell me what you think God eats or drinks?

Upvote 0

Scott Husted

Apr 8, 2020
Virginia Beach
✟57,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

This view of those words that show God as one who has to see it for himself (like Thomas) to believe it is true tend's to guarantee that there will eventually be another rebellion, since God can't really declare an end from the beginning like he was touted to have said ...

Upvote 0

Zao is life

Supporter
Apr 18, 2020
Africa
Visit site
✟182,548.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Interesting.

I think God knows ONE man, and He has known a few others, individually.

He knew Adam at one point in history, before Adam was cast out of the Garden of Eden, and He knew the sons of Adam (those who are IN ADAM) through His knowledge of Adam.

He knows the last Adam and those who are IN HIM.

Does He know each and every individual? Maybe it depends on whether or not each individual makes himself known to God? Jer 29:13 "And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart."

So God knew Seth, and God knew Noah, and God knew Abraham, and God knew king David. Why?

Gen 15:6 "And he believed in the Lord; and he counted it to him for righteousness."

Matt 7:7-8 "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened."

Jer 29:13 "And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart."

So God knows only the last Adam - but if anyone wants to be known of God individually, he needs to make himself known unto God.

Edited:

It starts with prayer, and continues with obedience.

However, it's short-sighted to say that God does not know each and every individual. He knew Cain, and spoke to him. God also knew the king of Babylon, and spoke to him through His prophets, prophesying his future - which only God could know.

God spoke to the king of Tyre, God foretold the future too many times to count.

I think the Bible produces too much evidence that God is omniscient.

Last edited:
Upvote 0