Manhattan, KS
✟188,628.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't use the KJV hardly at all anymore, but my gut reaction is that KJV Onlyists will not approve and people who don't read the KJV won't care, so it's mostly a waste.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is a project happening to modernize the old language of the King James Version without changing the meaning (unlike the NKJV). The project website is as follows. www.kjvupdate.com What do you all think?
I used to think the Antichrist was going to use the NIV.

Now it looks like he might have his own version.

What's this new version going to be called? the AV?

(Antichrist Version)

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a project happening to modernize the old language of the King James Version without changing the meaning (unlike the NKJV). The project website is as follows. www.kjvupdate.com What do you all think?

I'm not sure why it matters. Everyone knows that the Bible wasn't written in English anyway. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Im actually glad to hear it because then I don’t have to listen to the old 7 times purification nonsense anymore.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟415,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't use the KJV hardly at all anymore, but my gut reaction is that KJV Onlyists will not approve and people who don't read the KJV won't care, so it's mostly a waste.

yah there are too many translations and updates as it is!

Upvote 0

A_JAY

Site Supporter
Mar 8, 2017
North Central
✟482,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The web site does not include a sample of the "translation", nor any information on who is behind it, nor any information on the translation committee.
Apparently, they have a GoFundME page set up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The gofundme link is a bit of a red flag to me. I would expect a project like this to be sponsored by a collection of churches and/or universities. You'd need people who specialize in translation, people who study Elizabethan literature, people who write well in modern English, people with an ear for poetry, people who read Greek and Hebrew and Aramaic. It shouldn't be just one guy with a gofundme page, unless that guy has a lot of expertise.

This betrays my bias as an academic, I admit :) , but, yeah, translating a work of Elizabethan literature into modern English is a scholarly and literary undertaking that should be done well, if it's going to be done.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,628.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The web site does not include a sample of the "translation", nor any information on who is behind it, nor any information on the translation committee.
Apparently, they have a GoFundME page set up.
That says about all that is needed about this venture, hard pass.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,628.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The gofundme link is a bit of a red flag to me. I would expect a project like this to be sponsored by a collection of churches and/or universities. You'd need people who specialize in translation, people who study Elizabethan literature, people who write well in modern English, people with an ear for poetry, people who read Greek and Hebrew and Aramaic. It shouldn't be just one guy with a gofundme page, unless that guy has a lot of expertise.

This betrays my bias as an academic, I admit :) , but, yeah, translating a work of Elizabethan literature into modern English is a scholarly and literary undertaking that should be done well, if it's going to be done.

Exactly, not to mention a book with the fanfare of the Bible, not to mention the KJV is going to have extremely high expectations... Impossibly high expectations for a large committee of experts, let alone a single person (if that's what this is).

This whole thing is just rather pointless and to be honest the website is rather sketchy looking with little to no details about what is going on. Even if this does go forward, there is very little point in it. As I stated before, the KJV only crowd will most likely reject it. Those who don't read the KJV won't care. There will only be a very very small portion of believers who would even pick this up. Just not worth the effort in my opinion. But hey, more power to them I guess.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I think several translations tried to do that, they just ended up being another version.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I have reviewed many new versions over the years, and found none better than the old Scofield KJV Study Bible; obtainable at BibleTruthPublishers, Addison, ILL. --USA. It holds to the KJV Bible in wording, and has margin notes to show sources, and footnotes to explain meanings and for our present day. The original KJV has been a blessing to many over the years.
I stay clear of all the modern attempts since to show a meaning by God --using modern lingo and words which often disort Holy Scripture --not "rightly dividing the Word of Truth" as God warns us.
Satan always works to draw us away from what God is showing mankind; even whispering in our mind to experiment and read other writings by innovators. Beware of religious men, and seek proven Bible study by the qualified men of God before this modern age, rather than those who want to sell something to promote their reasonings.

• Winner
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,628.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have reviewed many new versions over the years, and found none better than the old Scofield KJV Study Bible; obtainable at BibleTruthPublishers, Addison, ILL. --USA. It holds to the KJV Bible in wording, and has margin notes to show sources, and footnotes to explain meanings and for our present day. The original KJV has been a blessing to many over the years.
I stay clear of all the modern attempts since to show a meaning by God --using modern lingo and words which often disort Holy Scripture --not "rightly dividing the Word of Truth" as God warns us.
Satan always works to draw us away from what God is showing mankind; even whispering in our mind to experiment and read other writings by innovators. Beware of religious men, and seek proven Bible study by the qualified men of God before this modern age, rather than those who want to sell something to promote their reasonings.

Having the scriptures in modern English is a blessing so people dont need 3 different books just to know what is being said. KJV english is hardly the English of today amd a bunch of words used in the KJV actually have different meanings now. Plus trashing the committees that provide modern translations is hardly a Christian attitude. The group that made the Scofield was not the only educated/annointed batch to provide study materials, nor was/is the KJV the only Bible to be approved by God

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Why do there have to be margin notes to show sources, and footnotes to explain meanings and for our present day? Did Scofield write that information in olde Englyshe, or did he use modern English to explain what the archaic KJV Englyshe meant? You contradict yourself when you write "I stay clear of all the modern attempts since to show a meaning by God --using modern lingo and words which often disort [sic] Holy Scripture --not "rightly dividing the Word of Truth" as God warns us." Doesn't Scofield fall under this definition?

"Beware of religious men, and seek proven Bible study by the qualified men of God before this modern age, rather than those who want to sell something to promote their reasonings", Scofield being the exception, of course!

Scofield's Bible was originally published in 1909, and then he published a revised version in 1917. So which of his Bibles is without error? He was a scholar, but obviously not infallible, otherwise why did he correct his earlier effort?

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Not much to say really.

All English translations are exactly that, translations. If it's an accurate translation of the best/oldest available manuscripts then that's all that matters.

No English versions are special or inspired any more than the next.

Upvote 0