Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I have had Walter Martin's The Kingdom of the Cults for a decade. Although Martin is a bit different from me denominational (I think he was some kind of charismatic, I forget) I find his work to be very well researched and (from my perspective) quite orthodox. I have the revised version put out by Hank Hannegraff but there's also a 2019 version and an abbreviated Handbook version. I follow a lot of Apologia Studios like Cultish and James White's debates, and I was thinking that it would be great if someone would write a similar book today but using newer research (as well as Martin's), with a more specifically Reformed outlook.
I understand this book will be triggering if you're a 7DA or something, but it's my impression that Martin's views are considered basically orthodox outside of liberal mainline denominations. I've heard from some of the people he criticizes that he's fair, that is while they disagree with his judgment on their orthodoxy this is because they have a different orthodoxy and not because Martin is caricaturing them.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Walter Martin's book mainly draws criticism from Roman Catholics because he devoted a chapter to their church in his book The Kingdom of the Cults and he thought that it met the definition of a cult. That aside, the book is still well-regarded by "cult watchers," from what I can tell.

However, there are a lot of similar books on the market these days, and a surprising amount of agreement exists between them. These are worth consulting because there have been a number of important religious societies, i.e. "cults," come to prominence since Martin wrote his book.

• Agree
Reactions: CallofChrist
Upvote 0

CallofChrist

Supporter
Apr 24, 2012
St.Paul, MN
✟89,549.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Kingdom of the Occult is a good companion volume. I think it is credited primarily to Dr. Martin, but it is really compiled from his writings, notes and what people have heard him speak of. I believe his daughter is behind the publishing of the book.

Reactions: Jeltja
Upvote 0