Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

You succeeded you were very funny and I like your work.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The KJV was taken from the first Greek NT manuscript to come off the newly invented printing press. The first book printed on Gottenburgs printing press was the Latin Vulgate. Followed closely by the Masorite text (Old Testament Hebrew). Erasmus was the Jesuit who crafted Textus Recepticus (the recieved text) based on the Byzantine manuscripts. It went throgh at least 6 revisions and while true to the original it had some mistakes. Modern translations are based on Wetcott Hort who gave preferense to Codex Vaticanus and Codex Siniacus. The Codex are written on leather so they are far more resilient the the papyrus scrolls. Vaticanus and Siniacus are only two texts, the Byzintine texts are represented by literally tens of thousands of extant manuscripts.

The plain and simple fact is that there isn't a dimes worth of difference between the manuscripts and the textual criticism that goes into modern translations make the wording bland and lack the more emphatic and authoritative tone of the KJV. Its interesting to note the KJV was 85% identical to Tyndales Bible and so was the Geneva Bible.

I'm not King James only but so many concordances, dictionaries and commentaries are keyed to it, it's always my primary tezt.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
These days I use both accordance and logos Bible study software for serious academic scholarship so reliance on paper based concordances, dictionaries and commentaries is no longer an issue.

As for language of the KJV and older Bibles goes - I am afraid a sheperd boy these days would not find it the vernacular of the day.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
You might want to research it. Many versions leave out crucial God-breathed elements.

In addition, pray about it.

brinny,

It's the other way around. Versions such as the KJV ADD words and verses that are not in the earliest manuscripts (MSS).

Erasmas only used a handful of MSS for the Textus Receptus that lies behind the KJV. Thousands more, earlier MSS, have been found that demonstrate the TR has added verses and variants.

Oz

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

So the word 'hell' ought to be omitted from the NKJV because the KJV translates 3 different Greek words as 'hell'. The NIV gives a more accurate translation using the principles of dynamic equivalence, thought-for-thought.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

Gordon,

Do you have access to the Arndt & Gingrich Greek lexicon, the 'Bible' of lexicons, online?

What about Kittel & Friedrich's massive 10 vol word studies? Do you have access to free online resources for these vols?

Oz

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Gordon,

Do you have access to the Arndt & Gingrich Greek lexicon, the 'Bible' of lexicons, online?

What about Kittel & Friedrich's massive 10 vol word studies? Do you have access to free online resources for these vols?

Oz

No I am afraid I don't, but will go and do some google searches to see if I can access. I only use those that I have available in Logos and Accordance. I have uploaded 2 screenshots of what I have available. I also have Sacra Pagina, Word Biblical NT and OT, Berit Olam, the JPS commentaries in Accordance, and a number of NT Anchor Yale commentaries in Logos. I simply cannot afford anymore at this point in time.
If you need any extracts from my collection let me know and I can copy some extracts within reason .

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
For the past few years I have always been the Reader for Psalm 22 at our Maundy Thursday Eucharist and foot washing service, I read the psalm as the Sanctuary is stripped and the Tabernacle is emptied and left open. I find the KJV language for those types of reading be more uplifting and suitable for that purpose, but as a translation for reading the OT, Epistle and Gospel of day the modern translations are far better.

Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Gordon,

Oz
Here is a link to BAG online. Drawback it does not reproduce the Greek. Click on the Greek Name to see words beginning with that letter.
A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature, Gingrich & Danker

A PDF of Brown, Driver, Briggs Hebrew lexicon can be DL at this link.

https://ia801707.us.archive.org/24/items/00825376.1523.emory.edu/00825376_1523.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: gordonhooker
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

More accurately it is a misrendering of YHVH/YHWH; even "Yahweh" is only an educated guess at pronunciation, but a far better one than "Jehovah" which was the result of medieval scribal misunderstanding.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
"seems that he lived before people started using any written form of language"

That doesn't mean God didn't give him those skills. He had the other skills so why not?

That would mean God had to have invented a writing system for Adam to use, and to be frank that's, if not surpassing, at least bordering on the absurd. The earliest form of writing for which we have any evidence is cuneiform, which was invented by the Sumerians as a simplification of older pictographs and simple numeric notation. Other, independent writing systems developed elsewhere, such as in China and in Egypt largely following a similar pattern of pictographic proto-writing to writing proper. What we know today as the Hebrew abjad, for example, is actually the Aramaic script which was borrowed to write Hebrew in the post-exilic period. Prior to the adoption of the Aramaic script there did exist what is known as the Paleo-Hebrew script, a form of which is still in use today by the Samaritans. Paleo-Hebrew and Aramaic are both derived from the earlier Phoenician script, which is descended from Proto-Sinaitic, likely coming from Egyptian hieroglyphs, a comparison between the Egyptian hieroglyph for "ox", and Proto-Sinaitic aleph, along with Phoenician, Paleo-Hebrew, and Aramaic aleph show the development of a pictographic representation of "ox" being borrowed to use as a morpheme in an proper writing system. Which in turn gave rise to the Greek alpha, and Latin 'A'.

From left to right: Egyptian hieroglyph, Proto-Sinaitic, Phoenician, Paleo-Hebrew, Aramaic.

From left to right: Etruscan, Greek, Coptic, Latin

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
My Bible of choice is the NKJV, just so I can read the KJV more easily. I'm not aware of any changes in meaning from this updated version of the KJV. Is anyone aware of any?

Here are few to consider... there are lots of great sites that expose the errors of the different translations.

In Acts 6:23, the KJV and some others state it this way..

Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus,

The NKJV and others like the NIV, state it this way...

To you first, God, having raised up His Servant Jesus

Some, like the NIV don't even bother to capitalize servant in their version, further degrading Christ.

NKJV
Zechariah 9:17
For how great is their goodness and how great their beauty!

KJV
Zechariah 9:17
For how great is his goodness, and how great is his beauty!

This change takes the glory intended for God in this verse and places it on the Israelites.

NKJV
Hebrews 2:16
For indeed He does not give aid to angels, but He does give aid to the seed of Abraham.

KJV
Hebrews 2:16
For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.

Here, you can clearly see the difference between Jesus only helping us, and becoming as like we are.

These are but a few of the many errors taught throughout the NKJV... what I think is all the more dangerous is that most people truly think it only replaces the thee's and thou's.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Here are some other things to consider...

The KJV originated in the dying words of William Tyndale in 1536, when he was burned at the stake by Anglican Catholics for translating and printing the Bible in the English language. Prior to expiring in the flames, he cried out, "Lord, open the eyes of the king of England." By the grace of God, King James I of England called for a new version in English in 1604. The saints with the testimony of Jesus and the commandments of God have always been the despised and persecuted enemies of pagan and papal Rome. Their crime? Possessing the word of God (Rev 6:9; 12:11,17; 14:12; 20:4)! Read the preface of the King James Version. The translators of the NKJV would have trouble even reading the wonderful document, and they would not understand the holy reverence for the word of God and the holy hatred for Catholicism and self conceited scholarship! Read how the translators affirmed that the Pope is the man of sin and how they foretold the certainty that popish persons and self conceited scholars would both surely malign their efforts.

The NKJV was copyrighted as a moneymaking scheme of Thomas Nelson Publishers. They stole the name of a king and a Bible in the public domain, plagiarizing work previously done, and copyrighted it for their financial advantage and perpetual income. If they had hearts for the truth even a fraction of Tyndale and the KJV translators, they would give the Bibles away or, in the worst case, sell them at cost. But they sell it for a profit right along with the NCV, the NAB, the NRSV, and the ICB.

Thomas Nelson Publishers renamed their KJV the New KJV, because they needed a new name for copyright purposes, and they were pandering to a generation that wants new religion rather than the old paths (Jer 6:16; Acts 17:21). Their version is certainly new; it has new words with new doctrines and new emphases for a new kind of Christian, the kind Paul warned would arise in the perilous times of the last days (II Tim 3:1-7; 4:3-4). It is a mongrel version from the manuscripts the KJV translators used and the manuscripts they refused to use! It is found in contemporary Christian churches promoting casual worship and compromising doctrine and practice. It is very rarely found among those men and churches fully dedicated to the apostolic faith and old paths of Scripture.

From... The NKJV is a Fraud!

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Here are few to consider... there are lots of great sites that expose the errors of the different translations.

In Acts 6:23, the KJV and some others state it this way..

The NKJV and others like the NIV, state it this way...

I assume you mean Acts 3:26.

This might be a problem if it wasn't for the fact that the Greek text reads,

ὑμῖν πρῶτον ὁ θεὸς ἀναστήσας τὸν παῖδα αὐτοῦ Ἰησοῦν, ἀπέστειλεν αὐτὸν εὐλογοῦντα ὑμᾶς ἐν τῷ ἀποστρέφειν ἕκαστον ἀπὸ τῶν πονηριῶν ὑμῶν

The word υἱός "son" doesn't appear in the text, instead we have παῖδα, from παῖς, which can mean "child" but tends to be used in the sense of a youthful servant, "servant boy" would probably be acceptable as a translation, though not exactly lofty in reference to the Son of God, and so rendering it as "servant" is more respectable sounding. The KJV translation of "Son" here is in keeping with earlier reverential translations of this verse, such as the Bishop's Bible and Tyndale which translates it here as "sonne", whereas Coverdale has "childe", which is certainly a more faithful translation. Wycliffe, translating from the Vulgate, uses "sone". And that is likely the source here, as the Vulgate has here "Filium", from Wycliffe translates as "sone", and this is retained in Tyndale and the Bishop's Bible (retaining these Latin peculiarities was somewhat normative of early English translations, it's the reason why Isaiah 14:12 has "Lucifer" rather than an actual translation of the Hebrew). How does Luther translate this? He uses the German word "Kind", "child".

So right here we have a rather perfect example of why comparing translations against the KJV is an inherently erroneous procedure. The KJV is not the litmus test of a translation's accuracy or quality, all translations must be measured against the source material itself. The KJV is not immune to this same level of scrutiny.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Some, like the NIV don't even bother to capitalize servant in their version, further degrading Christ.

You do realize that in the original Greek there is no capitals?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
We have them now and use them to denote authority, especially with regards to God.

It sounds to me like this is a personal hangup you have, and as such is irrelevant to discussing the inherent quality of a translation.

Personally I do capitalize the first letter of words related to God, such as "He" and "Him"; but that's tradition, upbringing, and personal choice. If someone didn't capitalize "Him" that's not somehow an act of sacrilege; it may offend your personal religious sensibilities, but then again your personal religious sensibilities aren't the litmus test of what constitutes proper reverence to the Deity.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
We have them now and use them to denote authority, especially with regards to God.

I have no objection to the use of capitals in modern translations but it is over the top to accuse someone for not using them.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

My modernized Tyndale New Testament is expected to arrive tomorrow. I can't wait to compare it to the KJV.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

I know what you mean, but it is all in how we are raised. As a child, to help us revere the Bible, we could not put anything on top of the Bible, like our keys or purse, or another book (except another Bible.) I'm 70 and I still can't put anything on to of a Bible, and cringe when others do. I'm not judging them, but I still shudder and have to hold myself back from grabbing the keys and putting them to the side.

Upvote 0