Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
The Kavanaugh Smear War Broke My Decades-Long Support For Feminism | For too many years, I silently stood by and watched third-wave feminism methodically take a sledgehammer to Western society as a whole, and males in particular.

For more than two decades, I traveled the country facilitating rape and assault prevention lectures, seminars, and workshops for women of all ages. I was passionate about this work, committed to the cause, and believed wholeheartedly that what I was doing was a wholly virtuous endeavor. I considered myself a feminist. But that was then, and this is now.
I don’t know about you, but I’ve spent a lifetime trying to be a good man, and to live a life of true meaning and purpose. Although I am far from perfect, I’d like to think that I’ve lived an honorable life, and have been a positive role model. In all my years, I have never intentionally hurt someone, nor have I ever turned my back on anyone who’s come to me for help.

Moreover, I have always aspired to be a fair-minded, compassionate, loving, kind, generous, and forgiving man. While I have fallen short of attaining these noble, masculine ideals on numerous occasions, I’ve never given up on their pursuit, and I never will.

With all of that being said, as I grow ever closer to turning 60, I am far less concerned about my future and well-being than I am about that of the next generation of boys and young men, who seem destined to be further emasculated, disenfranchised, and marginalized should the current climate remain unchanged
.​

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I have to admit that I was turned off to what I perceive as a phony movement decades ago. And that is mainly thanks to the snotty personal attitudes of those around here calling themselves feminists.
I would prefer to think that ideas stand or fall on their intellectual merits rather than on the online personalities associated with them on this or that website.

That said, I couldnt even tell you what "third wave feminism" is off the top of my head.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would prefer to think that ideas stand or fall on their intellectual merits rather than on the online personalities associated with them on this or that website.

That said, I couldnt even tell you what "third wave feminism" is off the top of my head.

I agree.

The worthiness of a cause shouldn't depend upon ALL of its supporters being perfectly virtuous.

I would think decades of pursuing rape prevention to be a noble and worthwhile endeavor.

I still don't think that the country (America) has faced the depth of its gender-equity issues ...

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,370.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't understand how anyone could've come away from the Kavanaugh hearings with this opinion if they weren't already predisposed to favoring Republicans.

Also, who is this guy? He's written a couple self-help books that have gotten almost zero traction. He's got no reviews on Goodreads and only a handful of (probably fake) ones on Amazon. His Facebook and Twitter accounts are nothing but silly feel-good slogans.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,896.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I agree with this article. While people are not virtuous as a whole. We are all sinners right? There has been a move to emasculate or dimish manhood. There is no doubt that men have ruled over women for a long time. They still do in many countries.

America has come a long way. But instead of elevating women it seems to have some to tearing down men. Paricularly with false accusations and false character assassinations and false characterizations purveying in the media. I have a young son and I am concerned.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I don't understand how anyone could've come away from the Kavanaugh hearings with this opinion if they weren't already predisposed to favoring Republicans.
Perhaps because there was not a single substantiated allegation. Not one.

There were however proven falsehoods.

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

"Ideas" are invisible nothingness till they are manifested in the actions of the people thinking them.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,370.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Perhaps because there was not a single substantiated allegation. Not one.

Nor was there any serious attempt to investigate them.

Were some on the left too quick to condemn Kavanaugh? Perhaps. But IME, most people at least wanted the allegations investigated. And either way, the right was WAY too quick to exonerate him.

There were however proven falsehoods.

There weren't as many as Republicans seem to want to believe, yet I can rattle off several from Kavanaugh, that didn't seem to faze Republicans much at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Even assuming that to be true (which it's not) ... whose job was it to prove the accusations?

I could tell you but it might mean more if you try to reach your own conclusion.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,370.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Even assuming that to be true (which it's not) ... whose job was it to prove the accusations?

It was the Senate's job. Their role is to "advise and consent", and part of advising is investigating issues that arise during the process. It seems that Republican senators skipped over the "advise" part and went straight to "consent".

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Were some on the left too quick to condemn Kavanaugh? Perhaps. But IME, most people at least wanted the allegations investigated. And either way, the right was WAY too quick to exonerate him.

There weren't as many as Republicans seem to want to believe, yet I can rattle off several from Kavanaugh, that didn't seem to faze Republicans much at all.
Rattle away, please.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,370.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Rattle away, please.

The definitions of the terms in his yearbook.
His statements on his drinking history.
His claims regarding the provenance of the stolen emails.

Within those, some parts were debatable and some were more demonstrably false than others. That's fine.I'm not looking to re-litigate the details of the case, nor am I claiming that everything he said was bogus or that every charge against him was valid.

My point is that if Republicans were truly interested in a fair and honest proceeding they would have both taken her allegations a *little* more seriously and expressed somewhat more skepticism at his answers. And the only way I can see coming away from the hearing with the opinion that the author did is if you're already predisposed to believing him and not believing her.

• Agree
Reactions: whatbogsends
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
It was the Senate's job. Their role is to "advise and consent", and part of advising is investigating issues that arise during the process. It seems that Republican senators skipped over the "advise" part and went straight to "consent".
Incorrect.

It was the job of the opposing party which leveled the last-minute allegations against Justice Kavanaugh. Democrats had two choices: 1) the Democrats on the committee could have investigated the allegations themselves and provided the results to the committee, or 2) the Democrats could have revealed the allegations to the committee months earlier while the committee was exercising due diligence.

The Democrats did neither though. Instead, they engaged in purely partisan politics and attempted to derail the nomination at the last minute. We all know why. It was a desperate last-minute hail mary, essentially an October surprise which they believed would bolster their election prospects.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟366,919.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
The Kavanaugh Smear War Broke My Decades-Long Support For Feminism | For too many years, I silently stood by and watched third-wave feminism methodically take a sledgehammer to Western society as a whole, and males in particular.

For more than two decades, I traveled the country facilitating rape and assault prevention lectures, seminars, and workshops for women of all ages. I was passionate about this work, committed to the cause, and believed wholeheartedly that what I was doing was a wholly virtuous endeavor. I considered myself a feminist. But that was then, and this is now.
I don’t know about you, but I’ve spent a lifetime trying to be a good man, and to live a life of true meaning and purpose. Although I am far from perfect, I’d like to think that I’ve lived an honorable life, and have been a positive role model. In all my years, I have never intentionally hurt someone, nor have I ever turned my back on anyone who’s come to me for help.

Moreover, I have always aspired to be a fair-minded, compassionate, loving, kind, generous, and forgiving man. While I have fallen short of attaining these noble, masculine ideals on numerous occasions, I’ve never given up on their pursuit, and I never will.

With all of that being said, as I grow ever closer to turning 60, I am far less concerned about my future and well-being than I am about that of the next generation of boys and young men, who seem destined to be further emasculated, disenfranchised, and marginalized should the current climate remain unchanged
.​
Funny this.
Funny that he "traveled the country facilitating rape and assault prevention lectures, seminars, and workshops for women of all ages", and now he doesn't seem concerned about the very women he's trying to help.
He's more worried about the bravado of men than hte safety of women. Period. Sure, it's his choice.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟906,254.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

.​

If you are so fickle that decades long support is washed away by a single incident I have to question your dedication to begin with.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟906,254.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Incorrect.

It was the job of the opposing party
which leveled the last-minute allegations against Justice Kavanaugh. Democrats had two choices: 1) the Democrats on the committee could have investigated the allegations themselves and provided the results to the committee, or 2) the Democrats could have revealed the allegations to the committee months earlier while the committee was exercising due diligence.

The Democrats did neither though. Instead, they engaged in purely partisan politics and attempted to derail the nomination at the last minute. We all know why. It was a desperate last-minute hail mary, essentially an October surprise which they believed would bolster their election prospects.

No, it was not. It was the job of the senate as a whole as is put forward in the constitution.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0