Carcyn

Sep 28, 2015
Michigan
✟15,157.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Is there any one who would be willing to provide a link on the correct way to say the Jesus Prayer in Greek?

The Prayer has been of great spiritual benefit to me and I would like to deepen my experience, but I have found no audio for it in Greek. I've come across some links that have the phonetic pronounciation, but even these don't agree with each other, and so this is turning into a real "seek and you shall find" search for me.

Is there any one who can provide a bona-fide phonetic pronounciation or an audio?

Greatly appreciative of any help.

Carcyn

Sep 28, 2015
Michigan
✟15,157.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Thank you for your response ArmyMatt.

I'm in the States and do belong to a wonderful Orthodox Church (OCA). We have Orthodox from different backgrounds, but very few are familiar with the Greek language. I might inquire on a Greek-speaking forum.

Thanks, again, for your reply.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've actually been thinking of asking this at Church. I know my priest could tell me. But I would have to ask my SF, and I actually think he might not be enthusiastic about the idea. I could be wrong though.

Upvote 0

Carcyn

Sep 28, 2015
Michigan
✟15,157.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Thank you very much, Kylissa, I'll check out the video. I'm not familiar with Elder Ephraim, but will listen.

We've a wonderful priest and I'm very happy at our parish. I love language and have studied Hebrew in the past and also study Syriac. Not enough to speak it of course, but I know it better than I do Greek, and was simply wanting to immerse myself a little more in the language.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You're welcome. I just listened closer. He's only saying "Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me". I like the cadence of it though.

I did ask Father this morning. He gave me the answer, but I can't type it here. I will keep looking ... hopefully someone will peek in. I KNOW we have members who can answer this for you. :)

Upvote 0

Carcyn

Sep 28, 2015
Michigan
✟15,157.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes! It's a very gentle cadence; I like it, too.

And I understand. Thank you so much for the encouragement, Kylissa. I can be patient. :) Maybe it's possible, too, that the differences in the phonetics I came across were just differences in dialect.

Blessings to you, my friend. :tulip:

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes! It's a very gentle cadence; I like it, too.

And I understand. Thank you so much for the encouragement, Kylissa. I can be patient. :) Maybe it's possible, too, that the differences in the phonetics I came across were just differences in dialect.

Blessings to you, my friend. :tulip:
I thought of that too, that it may be simply dialects. But I don't know much about such things at all. Just that they exist. :)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your response ArmyMatt.

I'm in the States and do belong to a wonderful Orthodox Church (OCA). We have Orthodox from different backgrounds, but very few are familiar with the Greek language. I might inquire on a Greek-speaking forum.

Thanks, again, for your reply.

if you can get to Holy Cross Seminary, they have a summer program where you learn Greek. might help.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums