Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
This is going to be a very long post, but that is not really a problem for anyone interested in the subject because the videos I will reference cover around 8-10 hours of material. So I will let the length of this post be the fire to burn away the unwanted replies that are not gold.

I've become more or less exhausted in debating with the mental gymnasts among you known as apologists, and, as noted in another of my threads here on this forum, I am done with the arguing for the time being. I have been solicited for a private debate involving several Christians here and, after an initial misunderstanding was cleared up, I accepted the offer with the condition that one particular member who is prone to abandoning discussions would agree not to do such. Despite indicating an acceptance of the offer to two of the participants both in private and in public, nothing has originated. Overall, though, I've definitely been involved in too much bad human interaction, both in terms of receiving and dispensing, to want to continue debating with everyone. For that reason I'm going to post my question in this forum rather than the apologetics forum.

As I am not currently interested in debate, I have no need for input from my fellow atheists (aside from the one whom I hope you all will be critiquing, the YouTuber known as TruthSurge). I will be asking for input from all of you and I will not be responding other than to offer thanks, or to say that I agree with a claim being made that supports a historical Jesus, or to perhaps clarify questions that may arise. So I will not be arguing with any of you, no matter how terrible an argument might be. However, there are some responses that I will find unacceptable.

Please do not simply dismiss the claims put forth by TruthSurge out of hand - at least, do not do this openly. I know some of you here will dismiss the claims without even watching the videos. However, it is written, "He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him." Also, do not simply say he is espousing nonsense or crackpot theories. If you disagree with a claim, then either cite your reasons or simply say, "I disagree with his claims because it contradicts my faith but I do not know how to disprove what he has said." It's perfectly acceptable to not know an answer. Do not pretend to know something you don't, and please do not raise an objection that he has already addressed in the videos. Simply repeating your claims instead of addressing his argument serves no purpose other than to aggravate me.

I am posting here because he has such a large volume of claims that I simply cannot feasibly research every source being cited. Combine that with the fact that perhaps some of you here may already have some answers, and it is clear that I should start my search here.

Let me clarify, before I post the links, that I have an open mind and I do not expect any of you to. I do not think that you will, even for a second, entertain the notion that Jesus the human being never existed. I just want you to watch the videos, jot down TruthSurge's references, and investigate those references. Many hands make light work, and there are many of you but only one of me. Also, I have, more or less, no stake in this discussion. Being an atheist, it makes little difference to me if Jesus never existed or if he was simply a man who was wrongly convicted and executed as a common criminal. But you do have a stake in this, so perhaps some of you will expend more individual effort researching these claims than I do by myself.

Where do I currently stand on this issue? I'm not entirely sure. I was greatly impressed by TruthSurge's work, and I told him as much, but I am taken aback a bit by the fact that many (if not all) of the top scholars - even the atheist ones - profess that Jesus existed as a historical figure. So while it may be the case that many of the events depicted in the gospels contain pagan (that is, Greek) references, the characters in the events may have still actually existed. James and John, for example, are undoubtedly depicted as references to the Greek demigods Castor and Polydeuces (pending your research efforts), but it does not logically follow that the actual James and John did not exist.

I think many people will benefit from this endeavor. The Jesus Myth Theory is gaining in popularity and so as Christians you ought to perhaps produce a hub of information to help (at least partially) debunk the idea. For hundreds of years it was impossible to even research this idea seriously because publishing one's thoughts and gathering feedback was utterly impossible when the Catholic Church was torturing and murdering heretics. As the field of study is relatively new, it stands to reason that it will only increase both in popularity and in academic strength as a fact-based theory.

Now here are the playlists:

Excavating the Empty Tomb

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1D58C69D194384D2

Jesus: Hebrew Human or Mythical Messiah

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAAA3872E8F6B9A8E

I recommend watching them in this order even though he made the videos in the reverse order because the newer videos are of a better quality in all aspects and are also covering, in my opinion, the more pertinent details of the theory.

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Let me clarify, before I post the links, that I have an open mind and I do not expect any of you to. I do not think that you will, even for a second, entertain the notion that Jesus the human being never existed. I just want you to watch the videos, jot down TruthSurge's references, and investigate those references. Many hands make light work, and there are many of you but only one of me. Also, I have, more or less, no stake in this discussion. Being an atheist, it makes little difference to me if Jesus never existed or if he was simply a man who was wrongly convicted and executed as a common criminal. But you do have a stake in this, so perhaps some of you will expend more individual effort researching these claims than I do by myself.

Read "The Historical Jesus," by Dr. Gary Habermas. I have done so and am convinced - as are the majority of scholars whose expertise is in this area - that Jesus was a real figure in history. Why you would think I ought to wade through multiple hours of convoluted denials of this fact is rather beyond me. TruthSurge is not the first to assert that Jesus never existed and he won't be the last. The answers to such assertions, as Dr. Habermas demonstrates, are many and exhaustive. Asked and answered.

The Jesus Myth Theory is gaining in popularity and so as Christians you ought to perhaps produce a hub of information to help (at least partially) debunk the idea.

No, the Jesus Myth is not gaining in popularity. It is a thoroughly defeated notion. We don't need to do your research for you. You're the one wondering about this matter so YOU ought to do the research on it. Start with the book I mentioned.

Selah.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The Jesus Myth Theory is gaining in popularity and so as Christians you ought to perhaps produce a hub of information to help (at least partially) debunk the idea...
Who has been telling you this? Historians? Afaik historians (except one, Richard Carrier) have completely discounted the Jesus Myth idea.

Before I'll invest time with a youtube personality who calls himself "TruthSurge" (how pretentious is that?) I suggest you invest time with qualified historians, meaning people who have relevant terminal degrees and a history of publishing.

The Jesus Myth idea is old news and there have long been Christian hubs for it. One I can personally recommend is www.tektonics.org.

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Who has been telling you this? Historians? Afaik historians (except one, Richard Carrier) have completely discounted the Jesus Myth idea.

Before I'll invest time with a youtube personality who calls himself "TruthSurge" (how pretentious is that?) I suggest you invest time with qualified historians, meaning people who have relevant terminal degrees and a history of publishing.

The Jesus Myth idea is old news and there have long been Christian hubs for it. One I can personally recommend is www.tektonics.org.

The tektonics guy is kind of a jerk. Haven't you seen his videos with the atheist clown? I have spoken with Nick Peters, the voice of the clown. He didn't offer much.

If the video series is too much, how about just watch episode 9A of Excavating the Empty Tomb. Just like 10 or 15 minutes.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,348.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The tektonics guy is kind of a jerk. Haven't you seen his videos with the atheist clown? I have spoken with Nick Peters, the voice of the clown. He didn't offer much.

If the video series is too much, how about just watch episode 9A of Excavating the Empty Tomb. Just like 10 or 15 minutes.
You're offering an ad hominem argument when advised to look at what qualified historians have to say? Really?

Reactions: civilwarbuff
Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

I don't watch cartoons; it's the articles I'm recommending. There's a lot of Jesus Myth-related material there. But if it's not your cup of tea that's fine.

I investigated the Jesus Myth stuff years ago. I found nothing scholarly about it because I couldn't find any scholars who supported it. And if "TruthSurge" isn't a scholar then I'm not interested. I suggest you look for history from historians, because Youtube know-it-alls are a dime a dozen. Don't waste your time; I'm not going to waste mine.

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You're offering an ad hominem argument when advised to look at what qualified historians have to say? Really?

He's a qualified historian?

I didn't say his argument was invalid because he's a jerk. I simply don't want to get into a discussion with someone who I already know is a jerk. So please, tell me where the ad hominem is.

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I don't watch cartoons; it's the articles I'm recommending. There's a lot of Jesus Myth-related material there. But if it's not your cup of tea that's fine.

I investigated the Jesus Myth stuff years ago. I found nothing scholarly about it because I couldn't find any scholars who supported it. And if "TruthSurge" isn't a scholar then I'm not interested. I suggest you look for history from historians, because Youtube know-it-alls are a dime a dozen. Don't waste your time; I'm not going to waste mine.

I don't know if he's a scholar. I know he's referenced scholars and dialogued with them in the making of this.

I'm was impressed with his videos but I'm still trying to take a blowtorch to them to see if the claims are true or not. You seem to just be wasting my time here if you're responding but won't even watch one video.

The fact that no one here is up for debunking anything he has to say is quite telling about Christians and the way they invest little effort in investigation of the truth.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,348.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
He's a qualified historian?

I didn't say his argument was invalid because he's a jerk. I simply don't want to get into a discussion with someone who I already know is a jerk. So please, tell me where the ad hominem is.
You're putting forth a position opposite the one he is stating, and refusing to accept his arguments as a rebuttal because you say he is a jerk. So you're either committing ad hominem by saying his arguments have no validity because you think he's a jerk, or you're refusing to consider the validity of his arguments because you say he is a jerk, or you acknowledge their validity but don't want to publicly do so, and are hiding behind your claim that he is a jerk.

Reactions: civilwarbuff
Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You're putting forth a position opposite the one he is stating, and refusing to accept his arguments as a rebuttal because you say he is a jerk. So you're either committing ad hominem by saying his arguments have no validity because you think he's a jerk, or you're refusing to consider the validity of his arguments because you say he is a jerk, or you acknowledge their validity but don't want to publicly do so, and are hiding behind your claim that he is a jerk.

I'm not going to read his material without offering a rebuttal.

I'm not going to converse with him because he's a jerk.

Hence I will not give him a rebuttal.

Hence I will not read what he has to say.

So you seem to be wasting my time by not understanding this. But I'll make you a deal: for every ONE video you watch from the OP, I'll read TEN articles from Tektonic. I'll choose the video, you choose the articles. I'll even read the articles before you do your task.

Don't bother saying no to this. If your answer is no, just please move on without responding because in that case you'd be beyond unreasonable and a complete waste of my time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if he's a scholar. I know he's referenced scholars and dialogued with them in the making of this.

I'm was impressed with his videos but I'm still trying to take a blowtorch to them to see if the claims are true or not. You seem to just be wasting my time here if you're responding but won't even watch one video.

The fact that no one here is up for debunking anything he has to say is quite telling about Christians and the way they invest little effort in investigation of the truth.
When you want medical advice do you go to doctors, or to a Youtube guy who calls himself "TruthMD" and posts videos claiming that the medical profession is hiding the truth from you?

Or when you want legal advice do you go to attorneys, or to a Youtube guy who calls himself "TruthEsq" and posts videos claiming that the legal profession is hiding the truth from you?

Get your history from historians, is all I'm saying. If you resist that, ask yourself why.

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
When you want medical advice do you go to doctors, or to a Youtube guy who calls himself "TruthMD" and posts videos claiming that the medical profession is hiding the truth from you?

Or when you want legal advice do you go to attorneys, or to a Youtube guy who calls himself "TruthEsq" and posts videos claiming that the legal profession is hiding the truth from you?

Get your history from historians, is all I'm saying. If you resist that, ask yourself why.

Why are you playing this card on me? Most historians don't think Jesus said half the things credited to him. Crack open your Bible, read the text in red and you have no clue if it's true. It's virtually indisputable, for example, that the story of the adulterous woman was an insertion hundreds of years later.

Oh and by any historical standard, the resurrection account is utterly unreliable.

So if we play by your rules, Jesus existed but is now dead as Abe Lincoln.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Shelob??
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,129,883.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is going to be a very long post, but that is not really a problem for anyone interested in the subject because the videos I will reference cover around 8-10 hours of material. So I will let the length of this post be the fire to burn away the unwanted replies that are not gold.

I've become more or less exhausted in debating with the mental gymnasts among you known as apologists, and, as noted in another of my threads here on this forum, I am done with the arguing for the time being. I have been solicited for a private debate involving several Christians here and, after an initial misunderstanding was cleared up, I accepted the offer with the condition that one particular member who is prone to abandoning discussions would agree not to do such. Despite indicating an acceptance of the offer to two of the participants both in private and in public, nothing has originated. Overall, though, I've definitely been involved in too much bad human interaction, both in terms of receiving and dispensing, to want to continue debating with everyone. For that reason I'm going to post my question in this forum rather than the apologetics forum.

As I am not currently interested in debate, I have no need for input from my fellow atheists (aside from the one whom I hope you all will be critiquing, the YouTuber known as TruthSurge). I will be asking for input from all of you and I will not be responding other than to offer thanks, or to say that I agree with a claim being made that supports a historical Jesus, or to perhaps clarify questions that may arise. So I will not be arguing with any of you, no matter how terrible an argument might be. However, there are some responses that I will find unacceptable.

Please do not simply dismiss the claims put forth by TruthSurge out of hand - at least, do not do this openly. I know some of you here will dismiss the claims without even watching the videos. However, it is written, "He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him." Also, do not simply say he is espousing nonsense or crackpot theories. If you disagree with a claim, then either cite your reasons or simply say, "I disagree with his claims because it contradicts my faith but I do not know how to disprove what he has said." It's perfectly acceptable to not know an answer. Do not pretend to know something you don't, and please do not raise an objection that he has already addressed in the videos. Simply repeating your claims instead of addressing his argument serves no purpose other than to aggravate me.

I am posting here because he has such a large volume of claims that I simply cannot feasibly research every source being cited. Combine that with the fact that perhaps some of you here may already have some answers, and it is clear that I should start my search here.

Where do I currently stand on this issue? I'm not entirely sure. I was greatly impressed by TruthSurge's work, and I told him as much, but I am taken aback a bit by the fact that many (if not all) of the top scholars - even the atheist ones - profess that Jesus existed as a historical figure. So while it may be the case that many of the events depicted in the gospels contain pagan (that is, Greek) references, the characters in the events may have still actually existed. James and John, for example, are undoubtedly depicted as references to the Greek demigods Castor and Polydeuces (pending your research efforts), but it does not logically follow that the actual James and John did not exist.

I think many people will benefit from this endeavor. The Jesus Myth Theory is gaining in popularity and so as Christians you ought to perhaps produce a hub of information to help (at least partially) debunk the idea. For hundreds of years it was impossible to even research this idea seriously because publishing one's thoughts and gathering feedback was utterly impossible when the Catholic Church was torturing and murdering heretics. As the field of study is relatively new, it stands to reason that it will only increase both in popularity and in academic strength as a fact-based theory.

Now here are the playlists:

Excavating the Empty Tomb

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1D58C69D194384D2

Jesus: Hebrew Human or Mythical Messiah

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAAA3872E8F6B9A8E

I recommend watching them in this order even though he made the videos in the reverse order because the newer videos are of a better quality in all aspects and are also covering, in my opinion, the more pertinent details of the theory.

NH,

Can't we just say that the reality about the Bible is that there is just too much that is historically questionable and too many numerous ambiguous factors for any of us to 'believe' through, or by way of, off-the-cuff invitation from others who already believe?

I mean, really....not too many people have the time (or academic ability) to sift through ALL of the claims and counter-claims that exist in relation to the Bible.

2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟611,273.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
NH,

Can't we just say that the reality about the Bible is that there is just too much that is historically questionable and too many numerous ambiguous factors for any of us to 'believe' through, or by way of, off-the-cuff invitation to o so by others who already believe?

I mean, really....not too many people have the time (or academic ability) to sift through ALL of the claims and counter-claims that exist in relation to the Bible.

2PhiloVoid

Or we can just say that the historical accuracy of Jesus has been verified regardless of what Nihilist Virus wants to believe.

Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
...So if we play by your rules, Jesus existed but is now dead as Abe Lincoln.
Yes, in the history books Jesus lived, preached, was crucified, and the resurrection didn't occur. And that's to be expected because the field is non-religious.

Regarding the Jesus Myth idea, below is a quote from Michael Grant, classical historian, in his book "Jesus: An Historian's Review of the Gospels":
This sceptical way of thinking reached its culmination in the argument that Jesus as a human being never existed at all and is a myth.... But above all, if we apply to the New Testament, as we should, the same sort of criteria as we should apply to other ancient writings containing historical material, we can no more reject Jesus' existence than we can reject the existence of a mass of pagan personages whose reality as historical figures is never questioned. Certainly, there are all those discrepancies between one Gospel and another. But we do not deny that an event ever took place just because some pagan historians such as, for example, Livy and Polybius, happen to have described it in differing terms.... To sum up, modern critical methods fail to support the Christ myth theory. It has 'again and again been answered and annihilated by first rank scholars.' In recent years, 'no serous scholar has ventured to postulate the non historicity of Jesus' or at any rate very few, and they have not succeeded in disposing of the much stronger, indeed very abundant, evidence to the contrary.

You're asking people to devote time to watching videos of a long-discredited idea, produced by a person who has no apparent qualifications. Please don't be surprised if you get few takers here.

Reactions: amariselle
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Shelob??
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,129,883.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Or we can just say that the historical accuracy of Jesus has been verified regardless of what Nihilist Virus wants to believe.

...I think the term "verified" is a bit strong, but I'm not going to debate the point with you since I would basically agree, although I'd probably use terms more like "historically credible" and "reasonable" instead . ;)

The main point I was attempting to make here with NV is that there is a **TON** of material for any one person to have to sift through, and that if having faith means that we each HAVE to sift through, analyze, and consider every...single...historical...possibility, then....technically...on that presumption....no one could have "faith" in Christ as Lord and Savior. You and I both know that, Scripturaly speaking, there is more to having faith than just holding a collection of believable facts in one's head. Of course, faith "includes" the historical data in one's head, but it isn't solely made up of that.

And fortunately, we don't have to fall into that Modernist epistemological trap and presumption.

Other than that, I actually am willing to go through each video in one series or the other of the two offered here, one-by-one (albeit at a very slow pace due to time restrictions) and offer comments for discussion. I don't see anyone else picking up the gauntlet that NH is essentially throwing down here.

Or, we could all just haggle and cause this thread to be immediately closed like we do so many others. :confused:

2PhiloVoid :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yes, in the history books Jesus lived, preached, was crucified, and the resurrection didn't occur. And that's to be expected because the field is non-religious.

Regarding the Jesus Myth idea, below is a quote from Michael Grant, classical historian, in his book "Jesus: An Historian's Review of the Gospels":

You're asking people to devote time to watching videos of a long-discredited idea, produced by a person who has no apparent qualifications. Please don't be surprised if you get few takers here.

And I asked you for 10-15 minutes for one video and even that is too much. I find it odd that you're replying here, given what I said in the OP, if you don't even have 15 spare minutes.

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
...I think the term "verified" is a bit strong, but I'm not going to debate the point with you since I would basically agree, although I'd probably use terms more like "historically credible" and "reasonable" instead . ;)

The main point I was attempting to make here with NH is that there is a **TON** of material for any one person to have to sift through, and that if having faith means that we each HAVE to sift through, analyze, and consider every...single...historical...possibility, then....technically...on that presumption....no one could have "faith" in Christ as Lord and Savior. You and I both know that, Scripturaly speaking, there is more to having faith than just holding a collection of believable facts in one's head. Of course, faith "includes" the historical data in one's head, but it isn't solely made up of that.

And fortunately, we don't have to fall into that Modernist epistemological trap and presumption.

Other than that, I actually am willing to go through each video in one series or the other of the two offered here, one-by-one (albeit at a very slow pace due to time restrictions) and offer comments for discussion. I don't see anyone else picking up the gauntlet that NH is essentially throwing down here.

Or, we could all just haggle and cause this thread to be immediately closed like we do so many others. :confused:

2PhiloVoid :cool:

Hey again 2PV. I appreciate your willingness to "pick up the gauntlet." My expectations have been lowered considerably and at this point I just want someone to watch episode 9A of Excavating the Empty Tomb.

Upvote 0