• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Jerusalem of the East, Pyongyang, North Korea.

Discussion in 'History & Genealogy' started by Sarah G, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Sarah G

Sarah G Human bean. Supporter

+925
    Netherlands
    Christian
    Married
    ''Cho was in middle school then, in the time before the Korean War when there were so many churches in Pyongyang that the city was known as the “Jerusalem of the East.” Crosses dotted the Pyongyang skyline.

Young Cho watched with curiosity the many evangelists on Pyongyang’s main street in the daytime shouting, “Believe in Jesus and go to heaven!” When one of Cho’s childhood friends invited him to church, he accepted. Church people welcomed him in, served him lunch, and gave him notebooks and pencils as gifts. He sang a song that he would remember 50 years later about how God always remembers the poor.''
    The Jerusalem of the East | Christian History Magazine

2. faroukfarouk

faroukfarouk Fading curmudgeon

+11,449
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I think there were lots of Presbyterian churches in Pyongyang, right?

3. Sarah G

Sarah G Human bean. Supporter

+925
    Netherlands
    Christian
    Married
    I have no idea. I did not know there had been churches or Christianity there until I read the article.

4. faroukfarouk

+11,449
    Non-Denom
    Married
    There were many American missionaries in Korea and China. A lot of conservative people in the US blamed the State Department for having 'lost' China in 1949.

5. faroukfarouk

+11,449
    Non-Denom
    Married
    @Chosen_and_blessed PS: If you read up about the history of the Luce family, they were active in both missionary work (not sure about the theology) and American publishing and politics.

6. Dave-W

Dave-W Our six grandchildren Supporter

+6,751
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    I believe so. R.A. Torey, a Presby missionary, had a lot of success in the Korean peninsula in the late 19th century.

7. faroukfarouk

+11,449
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Seems like there was a huge input of presbyterianism in Korea.