Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While Peterson’s words are representative of a man on his way to deeper understanding, his current state of “some real sense” is ultimately insufficient.

Many Catholics, myself included, are drawn to the work of Dr. Jordan Peterson; and it’s easy to understand why. Simply put, the man has a way with words rivaled by few in our day. It’s fascinating to see a prominent intellectual wrestle with the important questions at the core of every human heart. There is something beautiful about his struggle, and one finds it difficult to look away.

I was recently listening to an excellent lecture by Dr. Peterson, a talk he gave on the footsteps of the library at Ephesus, in modern-day Turkey. The subject was the Logos. While listening to Peterson wax poetically about objective truth, this portrait of a man conflicted crystalized, as I listened to him repeat the same four-word phrase ad nauseum throughout the lecture.

“In some real sense.”

If you carefully listen to the recent content from Peterson in the last year, he repeats this same phrase over and over. In some real sense. Go ahead, go back and listen to any recent series, video, or lecture. It’s something you cannot unhear once you hear it. It is a qualifying phrase, and the words “some” and “sense” are his chosen modifiers when qualifying something he is not quite ready to say with full confidence.

In the Ephesus lecture, when his subject matter turned to the Logos itself, the insufficiency of this phrase was laid bare. The lecture primarily focused on the Greek philosophical tradition of the Logos, the idea that there is universal and unchanging truth that transcends reality and interacts with the divine. And, as Catholics, this is something we can applaud. It is a piece of our tradition.

Continued below.