SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
The Insect Apocalypse Is Here
In the United States, scientists recently found the population of monarch butterflies fell by 90 percent in the last 20 years, a loss of 900 million individuals; the rusty-patched bumblebee, which once lived in 28 states, dropped by 87 percent over the same period. With other, less-studied insect species, one butterfly researcher told me, “all we can do is wave our arms and say, ‘It’s not here anymore!’ ” Still, the most disquieting thing wasn’t the disappearance of certain species of insects; it was the deeper worry, shared by Riis and many others, that a whole insect world might be quietly going missing, a loss of abundance that could alter the planet in unknowable ways.
Rob Dunn, an ecologist at North Carolina State University who helped design the net experiment in Denmark, recently searched for studies showing the effect of pesticide spraying on the quantity of insects living in nearby forests. He was surprised to find that no such studies existed. “We ignored really basic questions,” he said. “It feels like we’ve dropped the ball in some giant collective way.”
This is something I noticed years ago, there were far fewer bees and bugs around in general. Additionally, the types of bugs you see more of around your home has changed a lot too.

LaSorcia

Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The Insect Apocalypse Is Here

This is something I noticed years ago, there were far fewer bees and bugs around in general. Additionally, the types of bugs you see more of around your home has changed a lot too.
Fewer birds as well. About 10 years ago, all the purple and house finches in my area suddenly disappeared. In the past year or so, I've seen the odd one here and there. I hope their population is coming back.

The migratory species have decreased as well. I used to see indigo buntings; now I pretty much only see Canada geese.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Fewer birds as well. About 10 years ago, all the purple and house finches in my area suddenly disappeared. In the past year or so, I've seen the odd one here and there. I hope their population is coming back.

The migratory species have decreased as well. I used to see indigo buntings; now I pretty much only see Canada geese.
They mention the decline in bird populations in the article. One hypothesis is that many of the insect-eating birds are not disappearing due to habitat loss, but starving due to the decline in insect populations.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
They mention the decline in bird populations in the article. One hypothesis is that many of the insect-eating birds are not disappearing due to habitat loss, but starving due to the decline in insect populations.

The decline in insect population could be responsible for the bird issue, but where I am in Michigan, it is the European Starling that drove all the bluebirds and purple martins away.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I was thinking of better genetically modified vegetables that do not require pesky bugs to pollinate. A perfect scientifically prepared food.

Well ironically a potential future source of food is insect protein.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Well ironically a potential future source of food is insect protein.

I am hoping for Soylent Green.

3340mmw.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Tanj
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums