The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I find myself extremely bothered this evening, because, looking at this list of churches in Cambridge, MA, it dawned on me that the only churches there where one has some assurance of traditional theology, the Roman Catholic parishes and Christ the King Presbyterian Church (PCA) have the potential, or in the case of Christ the King, certainty, for unpleasant contemporary worship music. The Novus Ordo Missae does not guarantee the solemnity of the traditional Latin mass, which Pope Francis is cracking down on; in much of the Southwestern US, it is difficult to find a Roman Catholic Church where the canons prohibiting the use of the guitar and piano in worship, or the Papal Encyclical of Pope Pius X Tra le sollecitudini prioritizing Gregorian chant and the most traditional of polyphonic misick such as Palestrina, are followed, with the exception of parishes offering the TLM.

I became even more annoyed when I realized that among Protestant churches in greater Boston, I can think of only one particularly well known church that has some assurance traditional theology and worship, Park Street Church, the last church in Boston that is a conservative Congregationalist church as opposed to a parish we lost to the Unitarians, or a parish of the liberal United Church of Christ, and Park Street Church also has contemporary music at their Sunday evening service, which strikes me as such a waste, as there are a number of beautiful Congregational liturgies which could be served in the evening.

Probably it is in Continuing Anglican churches that traditional worship among Protestants is most assured; the ACNA unfortunately is not free from the menacing shadow of the electric guitar. And also, the existence of contemporary worship in Episcopalian churches is doubly depressing, given the left-leaning theology which increasingly seems out of touch with the moderate sensibilities of most Episcopalians I meet, who would be happier if the Episcopal Church had remained committed to the moral values espoused in the 1979 BCP, hence the severe decline in membership (only the United Church of Christ has shrunk more dramatically among the mainline churches).

Traditional worship, with organ music and no “praise and worship” or rock style music in some denominations, such as the Methodist and Nazarene churches, the Baptist churches, Presbyterian churches, whether PCUSA or PCA or OPC or eCO, or the Stone/Campbell movement, is becoming hard to find on a national level.

Finding traditional Western-Rite worship in the Western US is becoming difficult regardless of denomination. Only the Eastern churches, whether Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Assyrian, or Eastern Catholic - with the notable and dramatic exception of Maronite Catholic parishes, which sadly frequently use music scarcely different from that found in the Missalettes sold to Novus Ordo Roman Rire parishes, rather than the beautiful traditional hymns of the West Syriac Rite, which thankfully remain dominant in Syriac Catholic and Syriac Orthodox churches, but there are some unique Maronite hymns which are becoming disused.

This loss of church music culture and traditional theology becomes particularly sad in the case of the Moravian Church, which does not yet have a confessional church providing alternatives, and where the beautiful hymns, many of which are unique to that denomination, are slowly disappearing along with the traditional moral theology.

It depresses me to consider that nearly all churches proximate to my current location will be providing worship that is, to varying extents, not traditional, tomorrow morning. The exceptions are predominantly either Continuing Anglican, Traditional Latin Mass RC, or Eastern and Oriental Orthodox, plus one Quaker meeting house. Now, this is the Southwest, and things are worse here in this respect than in other regions of the United States, where there is far more access to traditional worship, but why should I have to travel two thousand miles to sing the same hymns as my grandparents?

As I see it, maintaining conservative moral values and traditional theology is inadequate if we allow for contemporary worship, on the basis of lex orandi, lex credendi.

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟242,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I hear you.

Proper, reverent liturgy and worship is important.

Thankful to live in a conservative diocese where the guitar masses are not tolerated and mostly the Roman Canon (Eucharistic Prayer #1) is celebrated.

God bless

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately in Lutheran Church Canada, we have mandated only approved liturgies and hymnals may be used in our Churches, many ignore this mandate stating that if we threw out the liturgy, we would fill the Church with youth; ignoring the fact that other Churches have done the same, and failed miserably because they alienated many of their most steadfast members.

We do maintain this in our congregation, but there is constant push-back from some in the congregation to change both the music and even trying to tell Pastor what he can and can not preach on. (it seems to some that since we have the Gospel we should completely ignore the law, yet all have studied the 10 commandments pre-confirmation in catechism class.

If they want Guitar, GREAT! Lutheran Service Book is available in a Scored guitar edition; for all of our Liturgies and hymns.

Lutheran Service Book: Guitar Chord Edition At the bottom of the page, there are links to some examples.

Lutheran Service Book: Guitar Accompaniment for the Liturgy - Downloadable

Martin Luther, true to his name, often accompanied singing and liturgy with a "Lute"; so this is traditional. We currently have no one who can pick up a guitar in our congregation. LOL.

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Unfortunately in Lutheran Church Canada, we have mandated only approved liturgies and hymnals may be used in our Churches, many ignore this mandate stating that if we threw out the liturgy, we would fill the Church with youth; ignoring the fact that other Churches have done the same, and failed miserably because they alienated many of their most steadfast members.

We do maintain this in our congregation, but there is constant push-back from some in the congregation to change both the music and even trying to tell Pastor what he can and can not preach on. (it seems to some that since we have the Gospel we should completely ignore the law, yet all have studied the 10 commandments pre-confirmation in catechism class.

If they want Guitar, GREAT! Lutheran Service Book is available in a Scored guitar edition; for all of our Liturgies and hymns.

Lutheran Service Book: Guitar Chord Edition At the bottom of the page, there are links to some examples.

Lutheran Service Book: Guitar Accompaniment for the Liturgy - Downloadable

Martin Luther, true to his name, often accompanied singing and liturgy with a "Lute"; so this is traditional. We currently have no one who can pick up a guitar in our congregation. LOL.

I think the LCC approach is a case of “close, but no cigar.” Firstly, the lute is vastly different from the guitar, it being like the difference between a clavichord and a gravicembalo, or a harp and a cimbalom, and thus one can permit the Lute while prohibiting the guitar. The guitar itself is not inherently a problem except for the corpus of work compiled for it, and also the inescapable fact that having a guitar or piano discourages the use of the organ or a capella choral performances, owing to the expense of the former and the technical challenges of the latter, and the greater part of Christian sacred music is written with organs or a capella performance in mind, with limited use of percussion being traditional outside of Lent and Holy Week in the Coptic, Ethiopian and Chaldean churches.

I would ban the guitar outright but permit the use of any Lutheran liturgical material published before 1965. For example, the 1959 Lutheran Hymnal and Service Book, which is very similar to the LSB.

One thing I like about the 1979 BCP is it has a liturgical catch-all feature which has enabled Episcopal churches to use the entire Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom or the traditional Roman or Lutheran mass, albeit not at primary Sunday services. I think any ideal approach to liturgics would provide for maximal access to orthodox material from one’s own denominational patrimony as well as access to the beautiful wealth of Patristic liturgical material and material which is compatible with Nicene Orthodoxy.

Still, the LCC has taken an extremely sound approach overall in its rule making, and the strictness in what is permitted is justified, and it is unfortunate there is inadequate enforcement of that rule at the denominational level.

For what must be avoided is the out-of-control eclecticism that we see in some places, for example, St. Gregory of Nyssa Episcopal Church in San Francisco, which I would propose jumped the liturgical shark by haphazardly mixing and matching bits and bobs of Taize hymnody, Ethiopian liturgical vesture, Russian Orthodox music, liturgical dance, and so on, even without the bizarre incorporation of Shaker practices (surely we should be celebrating the end of a terrible heresy which perpetuated itself by adopting children and raising them in its bizarre quasi-monastery, and not memorializing it by preserving their ridiculous dances), the use of an Anaphora named for Cain the proto-murderer, Byzantine style icons of a Pagan Chinese Emperor who banned Christianity, and the use of what their own rubrics call “the Shinto shrine” for housing the cremated remains in their appalling funeral liturgy (which I find particularly appalling given that Japan, which has a thriving Eastern Orthodox Church, an autonomous church under the omophorion of the Moscow Patriarchate, which is also the victim of egregious persecution post-mortem as Japanese law requires all deceased persons in Japan to be cremated, which is contrary to Orthodox doctrine about the proper care of deceased human remains). Even Taize itself makes me uncomfortable by virtue of its liturgical eclecticism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0