• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

The importance of Origen?

Discussion in 'Traditional Theology' started by GoldenKingGaze, Apr 19, 2015.

1. GoldenKingGaze

GoldenKingGaze Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.

+245
    Australia
    Pentecostal
    Single
    AU-Liberals
    Origen, an ancient and early contributor to theology and the church, why was he important and why was he in error? What would we miss without him? What is he best work?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. duolos

duolos ὁ δοῦλος

+25
    Christian
    Private
    He is important because he was an influential theologian, hebraicist, and philosopher of the early Eastern traditions, a lot of Eastern theology from my understanding is done in either agreement with or reaction to his positions, he was condemned at a few ecumenical and local councils due to his affirmations of sheer transcendancy of the Father to a near exclusion of the Son from the godhead, despite this we probably wouldn't have the different orthodox formulations of the trinity if it weren't for his work. His best surviving work is probably the Hexapla, Against Celsus, or the fragments of his On First Principles

3. Fenwick

Fenwick I literally don't care

+6,402
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Republican
    Origen was a pretty fascinating individual, in my opinion. Though he was anathematized in (I think) the sixth century, largely for his thoughts on/support of apocatastasis or a variation thereof.

4. Cappadocious

Cappadocious Well-Known Member

+825
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    He was a great man and teacher. He had errors, and his followers went a little nuts in Alexandria.

5. Fenwick

+6,402
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Republican
    It's too bad, it seems like some have a tendency to throw out the entirety of Origen's thought because of what he's most "infamous" for. Even his thoughts on apocatastasis are intriguing.

6. Cappadocious

Cappadocious Well-Known Member

+825
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    It sounded like standard neoplatonic henosis to me. For my part, I do hope we don't end up merging into one subsistence!

7. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Mystery Worshipper Supporter

+8,929
    United States
    Lutheran
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    Henosis makes sense given his beliefs in transmigration and his "soul building" theodicy.

He was basically a Neo-Platonist. And the reality is, so were many educated Jews of his time (Philo of Alexandria).

8. Tzaousios

Tzaousios Αυγουστινιανικός Χριστιανός

+469
    Christian
    Married
    Yes, Origen has been vilified throughout history by both Apostolic and post-Reformation Christians. One can still see fundamentalists invoke Origen's name to use him as a rhetorical prop to try to "prove" that the Church became "pagan."

Obviously, he does have his downsides, such as the platonizing, but he also helped develop the allegorical method that he inherited from Philo and which became the preferred method of interpretation for the Church.

I can say that academic scholarship on Origen has moved in a different direction over the past few decades from a view that was decidedly negative to one that is a bit more tolerant and geared towards rehabilitating his image in patristics.

9. Fenwick

+6,402
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Republican
    That sounds promising, I'm glad to hear that.

10. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+14,535
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    I have heard it said many times that Origen taught transmigration, but everything I've read by Origen has Origen condemning and rejecting the doctrine of transmigration. And I've thus far never been able to find a single statement by Origen which is in support for a doctrine of transmigration.

-CryptoLutheran

11. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Mystery Worshipper Supporter

+8,929
    United States
    Lutheran
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    So, is the claim he believed in henosis bogus as well?