• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

The Importance of Gods Word

Discussion in 'Deeper Fellowship' started by GraftMeIn, Jan 27, 2003.

1. sbbqb7n16

sbbqb7n16 Veteran - Blue Bible Dude

+155
    Christian
    Single
    I'm glad things are straightened out now :D

Thank you both for being understanding :)

"The way of the Lord is a refuge to the righteous, but it is the ruin of those who do evil."
    Proverbs 10:29

Edited to add: OH HEY! I just noticed something... didn't Jesus say "I am the way, the truth and the life"  ? Read that verse again lol I didn't even notice that when I typed it up first

2. GraftMeIn

GraftMeIn The Masters Gardener

+5
    He sure did say that sbbqb! I like the way it fits with the scripture you posted :)

Psalms 56:4
    In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me.

3. Gerry

Gerry Jesus Paid It All

+11
    Indeed and Amen to both of you. Going along with the title of this thread I made a post once called "it is written." Jesus placed that kind of importance to God's Word. He quoted it constantly, and even as He hung suffering and dying on the cross.

4. GraftMeIn

+5
    James 1:21
    Wherefore putting away all filthiness and overflowing of wickedness, receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls.

5. Gerry

Gerry Jesus Paid It All

+11
    Right. Mind if I add my favorite translation plus a little to that?

James 1:21-25: "Have done, then, with impurity and every other evil which touches the lives of others, and humbly accept the message that God has sown in your hearts, and which can save your souls. Don't I beg you, only hear the message, but put it into practice; otherwise you are merely deluding yourselves. The man who simply hears and does nothing about it is like a man catching the reflection of his own face in a mirror. He sees himself, it is true, but he goes on with whatever he was doing without the slightest recollection of what sort of person he saw in the mirror. But the man who looks into the perfect mirror of God's law, the law of liberty (or freedom), and makes a habit of so doing, is not the man who sees and forgets. He puts that law into practice and he wins true happiness."

6. GraftMeIn

+5
    Thanks Gerry! That is a wonderful translation :)

7. Gerry

Gerry Jesus Paid It All

+11
    Amen! Many years ago when I first ran across JB, I was not impressed. But now, I just love his work. To me it is AWESOME.

8. reeann

reeann Trust and Obey

+8
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    i'm gonna to read about the Bible being God's word this week. I found it interesting, though that when I did a search for "word" i also go the word "sWORD"

God's Word is our sword. I'll be posting here later, gotta get to work.

9. GraftMeIn

+5
    It sure is our sword Reeann! And many other things as well :)

10. GraftMeIn

+5
    1 Peter 1:22-23
    Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

11. Gerry

Gerry Jesus Paid It All

+11
    Oh My! This one just hit me in the head like a HAMMER! Like a personal message at precisely the right time.

12. GraftMeIn

+5
    Psalms 103:17-20
    But the mercy of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children's children; To such as keep his covenant, and to those that remember his commandments to do them. The LORD hath prepared his throne in the heavens; and his kingdom ruleth over all. Bless the LORD, ye his angels, that excel in strength, that do his commandments, hearkening unto the voice of his word.

13. sbbqb7n16

sbbqb7n16 Veteran - Blue Bible Dude

+155
    Christian
    Single
    "In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight."
    -Proverbs 3:6

The Word of the Lord helps make our paths straight.

Jesus is the way... Jesus is also the Word made flesh... I can't help but see Jesus everywhere I look in the Bible!! Even Old Testament!!! :D It's funny how the more I read the Bible, the more I seem to acknowledge Him.

So in other words.... Jesus (the Word) makes straight our paths by Jesus (the way). I'm telling you Jesus (the truth!!) :) He's just everywhere... lol

14. GraftMeIn

+5
    Proverbs 7:1-3
    My son, keep my words, and lay up my commandments with thee. Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of thine eye. Bind them upon thy fingers, write them upon the table of thine heart.

15. Gerry

Gerry Jesus Paid It All

+11
    It is written, "Thy Word is very pure...Thy Word is true from the beginning." Psalm 119:140,160

16. Gerry

Gerry Jesus Paid It All

+11
    Psa 12:6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.

17. GraftMeIn

+5
    Psalms 33:4-6
    For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth. He loveth righteousness and judgment: the earth is full of the goodness of the LORD. By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.

18. GraftMeIn

+5
    Romans 15:4
    For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

19. repentandbelieve

repentandbelieve Senior Veteran

+77
    Christian

Being well rooted in the Bible helps us resist temptations. Neglect in studying the bible could lead to temptations appearing irresistable because the tempted one cannot readily remember Gods promises to meet Satan with the scripture weapons.

20. reeann

reeann Trust and Obey

+8
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Amen, Jesus easily conquered satan but without our focus being God minded and daily word and prayer in relationship to the Father, we are but prey to be devoured.

I was reminded today that even the great men of God were tempted and did commit heinous sins. What did they do wrong......

trusted in their own wisdom, and forgot to listen first.

Remember, when Jesus was tempted, He used scripture. I have found that this past couple of years I had been out of the fellowship of God's people and studying His word has brought me so low spiritually that I thought i was lost forever.

satan is evil.......... feast on God's word and protect yourselves