xpower

Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
✟105,003.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
On this site, occasionally there will be arguments on whether masturbation is a sin or not. I personally don't think masturbation is a sin. But I want to ask where did The idea that masturbation wrong come from?

I don't think it was ever mentioned much in the bible and I have heard the arguments that it is addictive, But anything can be addictive like water and food. Arguments about addiction are just not very strong to me.

There is also the "it is self-gratification" argument. But if you are sleepy and you go to sleep that is self-gratification, is that wrong? No. if you are hungry and you eat something delicious that is self-gratification, is that wrong? No. This not a very strong argument to me.

Last edited:

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is ALL I am gonna say: it is wasted seed that God intended for ONE purpose to be shared with the woman/man you are married to, it's a deep spiritual issue. I understand the struggle. But I also understand how satan slips imaginations into this, which is where the sin increases and God decreases.

36e5d5c1e49a7e805208481482b80226.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: -Luca
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,630.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think @Solomons Porch is accurate.

I also think the big issue with masturbation is the heart behind the action. Jesus said anyone who lists after a member of the opposite sex in their heart is guilty of adultery. I can't find it possible to believe someone could touch without listing in their heart.

We should never willfully and intentionally sin just to appease our flesh.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,967.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A strong contributor to that "masturbation is a sin" in Protestant denominations comes from the story of Onan in the OT. However, Onan's act was not masturbation, it was coitus interruptus, and the reason God killed him was because he was attempting to condemn his sister-in-law to a short and tragic life and place the blame on her.

However, the Roman Catholic argument against masturbation is from an entirely different aspect regarding God's intention for the propagation of life.

A better argument has to do with what is happening in a person's mind while masturbating and if that is really the path for a Christian described by Paul:

Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, so that you obey its desires.
Don’t you know that if you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of that one you obey—either of sin leading to death or of obedience leading to righteousness?

But thank God that, although you used to be slaves of sin, you obeyed from the heart that pattern of teaching you were transferred to, and having been liberated from sin, you became enslaved to righteousness.

I am using a human analogy because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you offered the parts of yourselves as slaves to moral impurity, and to greater and greater lawlessness, so now offer them as slaves to righteousness, which results in sanctification.
-- Romans 6

Therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, I urge you to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God; this is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this age, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may discern what is the good, pleasing, and perfect will of God. -- Romans 12

So the questions a person needs to ask--while masturbating--are: Am I letting my body control me? Am I offering my body as a living sacrifice to God? Am I renewing my mind so that I can discern the good, pleasing, and perfect will of God?

Upvote 0

tstor

Apr 28, 2017
Maryland
✟45,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Celibate
A better argument has to do with what is happening in a person's mind while masturbating and if that is really the path for a Christian described by Paul:

Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, so that you obey its desires.
Don’t you know that if you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of that one you obey—either of sin leading to death or of obedience leading to righteousness?

But thank God that, although you used to be slaves of sin, you obeyed from the heart that pattern of teaching you were transferred to, and having been liberated from sin, you became enslaved to righteousness.

I am using a human analogy because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you offered the parts of yourselves as slaves to moral impurity, and to greater and greater lawlessness, so now offer them as slaves to righteousness, which results in sanctification.
-- Romans 6

Therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, I urge you to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God; this is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this age, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may discern what is the good, pleasing, and perfect will of God. -- Romans 12

So the questions a person needs to ask--while masturbating--is: Am I letting my body control me? Am I offering my body as a living sacrifice to God? Am I renewing my mind so that I can discern the good, pleasing, and perfect will of God?
Brilliant answer. You saved me some time :D

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
On this site, occasionally there will be arguments on whether masturbation is a sin or not. I personally don't think masturbation is a sin. But I want to ask where did The idea that masturbation wrong come from?

I don't think it was ever mentioned much in the bible and I have heard the arguments that it is addictive, But anything can be addictive like water and food. Arguments about addiction are just not very strong to me.

There is also the "it is self-gratification" argument. But if you are sleepy and you go to sleep that is self-gratification, is that wrong? No. if you are hungry and you eat something delicious that is self-gratification, is that wrong? No. This not a very strong argument to me.

masturbation requires lust in ones mind.. And lust is sin..

Upvote 0

xpower

Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
✟105,003.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think @Solomons Porch is accurate.

I also think the big issue with masturbation is the heart behind the action. Jesus said anyone who lists after a member of the opposite sex in their heart is guilty of adultery. I can't find it possible to believe someone could touch without listing in their heart.

We should never willfully and intentionally sin just to appease our flesh.

Jesus was talking to a group of men who were married in that quote. And I think you meant lust(covetousness for another mans wife)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This is ALL I am gonna say: it is wasted seed that God intended for ONE purpose to be shared with the woman/man you are married to, it's a deep spiritual issue. I understand the struggle. But I also understand how satan slips imaginations into this, which is where the sin increases and God decreases.

36e5d5c1e49a7e805208481482b80226.jpg

Considering that people's weirdness directed at me comes in sequences of threes and fours as if in a concentrated attempt to make me lose my temper, I would have to say based on the probabilistic unlikeliness of this frequency and consistency, that indeed it is the Devil using them as puppets.

BTW
Last night on my way to the grocery store I had three people in under a so an of 5 minutes and within a span of two blocks go suddenly verbally attack me out of the blue. This was topped off with the grocery store female owner threatening to argue over nothing. Once outside again I tried to evade the people on the sidewalk because for some unnatural reason all of them seemed triggered by my approach into assuming predatory stances. If that isn't the idiot Stan himself doing his usual garbage then I don't know what is.

There isn't one time that I go outs site that people don't go out of their way to provoke me. Total strangers who seem to have some agenda.

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
lust? do you mean covetousness of other people's stuff? because sexual desire is not a sin.

Matthew 5: KJV
27 "¶ Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: {28} But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."

Upvote 0

arensb

Jun 17, 2006
Visit site
✟22,175.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I personally don't think masturbation is a sin. But I want to ask where did The idea that masturbation wrong come from?
I just wanted to point out that you're conflating two issues: "is masturbation a sin?" and "is masturbation wrong?"
A sin is something that contravenes a religious law, like working on the Sabbath, or eating pork, or killing a Brahmin, or drinking coffee. Just because something's a sin in one religion or another doesn't make it morally wrong, especially for people who don't follow that religion. Some things are, some aren't. They're separate issues.

• Winner
Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟29,261.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I just wanted to point out that you're conflating two issues: "is masturbation a sin?" and "is masturbation wrong?"
A sin is something that contravenes a religious law, like working on the Sabbath, or eating pork, or killing a Brahmin, or drinking coffee. Just because something's a sin in one religion or another doesn't make it morally wrong, especially for people who don't follow that religion. Some things are, some aren't. They're separate issues.
You are actually spot on. Apart from the coffee bit.

^_^

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Considering that people's weirdness directed at me comes in sequences of threes and fours as if in a concentrated attempt to make me lose my temper, I would have to say based on the probabilistic unlikeliness of this frequency and consistency, that indeed it is the Devil using them as puppets.

BTW
Last night on my way to the grocery store I had three people in under a so an of 5 minutes and within a span of two blocks go suddenly verbally attack me out of the blue. This was topped off with the grocery store female owner threatening to argue over nothing. Once outside again I tried to evade the people on the sidewalk because for some unnatural reason all of them seemed triggered by my approach into assuming predatory stances. If that isn't the idiot Stan himself doing his usual garbage then I don't know what is.

There isn't one time that I go outs site that people don't go out of their way to provoke me. Total strangers who seem to have some agenda.
My weakness is my temper, and I understand to always be on guard of it, because I know and so does satan know, what my weakness is, that I will go into a righteous rage and mess up really bad, well lets not call it righteous rage, but I am well aware of satans tactics, and have to constantly remind myself it is the spirit behind them, not the person in flesh and blood, although he (satan) does tempt me to want to minister to their "blessed assurance". So, therefore, I guard myself, and constantly remind myself, IT IS NOT THEM, it is satan using them as a tool to get to me, and I WILL NOT give him the satisfaction. THUS, the same for those battling lust, be on guard always, make up your mind before the battle begins. That I will not be a puppet of satan.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟29,261.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
My weakness is my temper, and I understand to always be on guard of it, because I know and so does satan know, what my weakness is, that I will go into a righteous rage and mess up really bad, well lets not call it righteous rage, but I am well aware of satans tactics, and have to constantly remind myself it is the spirit behind them, not the person in flesh and blood, although he (satan) does tempt me to want to minister to their "blessed assurance". So, therefore, I guard myself, and constantly remind myself, IT IS NOT THEM, it is satan using them as a tool to get to me, and I WILL NOT give him the satisfaction. THUS, the same for those battling lust, be on guard always, make up your mind before the battle begins. That I will not be a puppet of satan.
Woah, Solomon's weakness is anger, I never would have thought it...remind me to never get on the wrong side of you.

:eek:

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Woah, Solomon's weakness is anger, I never would have thought it...remind me to never get on the wrong side of you.

:eek:
Yep thats me....................
But we cool Luca, I aint gonna hurt ya, you know that silly.

• Friendly
Reactions: -Luca
Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is ALL I am gonna say: it is wasted seed
Does this imply that women don't/can't touch? Only one sperm in several million will not "be wasted" if by this we mean, will not lead to conception. And most sperm never even leave the male body. Are they also wasted?

Is sexual desire for your spouse sin? Is it even lust?
If making love with your spouse is enjoyable (to you) is this self-gratification? Is this sin? Is sex only not sin where it is enjoyable for your spouse but not you?

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0