Visit site
✟6,523.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
It's interesting to know the diversity of Saints that Orthodox people have up in their homes.

Name all the Icons that you have in your home, if you can. Which Saints are venerated more than others, and why?

I'll list the Saints i have up on my Icon wall after one of you TAWers go first. :p

God Bless!

nutroll

Veteran
Apr 26, 2006
Boise, ID
Visit site
✟279,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Old Testament Trinity, Christ(several), Theotokos(several), St. Paul, Righteous Judith, St. Valentina, St. Matthew(3), St. Tatiana, St. Aidan, Archangel Michael, St. Mary of Egypt, St. Makarios, St. Silas(2), St. Anastasia, St. Innocent of Alaska, St. Herman of Alaska, St. John the Baptist, St. Euphrosynos, St. John of Damascus, St. Andrei Rublev, St. John Climacus, St. Nicholas, St. Longinus the Centurion, St. Spyridon, St. Nicholas of Japan, St. Moses the Ethiopian, St. Irene Chrysovolantou, St. Isaac the Syrian, St. Paraskeva, St. Panteleimon, Prophet Ezekiel, St. Anna, St. Elizabeth the New Martyr, St. Anthony, St. Gregory Palamas, St. James the Persian, St. Andrew of Crete, St. Andrew the First called 3 Archangels (Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael), Great Hierarchs (Chrysostom, Gregory, and Basil), and several feast days. The icons in bold are patron saints for family members (including ones that I ask to intercede for non-Christian family members) and also my godmother's patron saint. St. Matthew is my patron saint, which is why I have three icons of St. Matthew. St. John of Damascus is the largest icon in my house. I have chosen him as a patron saint for my iconography studio. St. Innocent means a lot to me because my Dad wrote a biography about him. And the Prophet Ezekiel because one of my favorite memories of my childhood was hearing the reading about the valley of the dry bones in a darkened Church on Holy Friday every year. The others have significance for me, but they don't have specific stories attached to them per se. I'm sure I'm forgetting some of them, and I have many many more that are prints, mounted and otherwise.

Upvote 0

Breaking Babylon

Who is this King of glory?
Site Supporter
Jan 1, 2006
West Virginia
✟58,374.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The icons I have that are blessed are Christ the Pantokrator, the Theotokos, Christ's Descent into Hades, The Crucifixion, The Removal from the Cross, and one I can't remember the name to... the Theotokos is enthroned in the center with Christ on her lap, she's surrounded by Saints, and there are palm trees and a temple above her. I'll try to post a picture of it.

Unblessed icons that I have up are Saint Mary of Egypt with Saint Zosimas, Saint John Chrysostom, Saint Anthony the Great, Saint Nicholas, Theophany, Christ healing the blind man, the 12 Apostles, and the Mystical Supper.

I also have a very small icon of Saint Basil in the upper right hand corner of my GED diploma.

Upvote 0

nutroll

Veteran
Apr 26, 2006
Boise, ID
Visit site
✟279,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
one I can't remember the name to... the Theotokos is enthroned in the center with Christ on her lap, she's surrounded by Saints, and there are palm trees and a temple above her. I'll try to post a picture of it.

Is it "All Creation Rejoices in Thee"?

Upvote 0

MichaelNZ

Servus Mariae
Nov 10, 2006
Dunedin, New Zealand
Visit site
✟12,170.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I have Christ the Teacher (the one with the book), the Theotokos, the Theotokos of the Passion (Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Catholicism), St. Michael the Archangel, St. John Maximovitch of Shanghai and San Francisco, St. Xenia of St. Petersburg and St. Nicholas of Myra.

I also have an unblessed and unmounted icon of St. Theophania the Empress, because my girlfriend is thinking of taking St. Theophania as her patron saint (her birthday is January 6th N/S).

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I don't have that many. :(

The ones I have are Christ the Teacher (?) and the Theotokos (a matched set), another smaller matched set of Christ and the Theotokos in my bedroom, an icon of the Nativity, my patron St. Mary of Bethany, St. Seraphim of Sarov, and the Saints of North America.

Except for the two in my bedroom, and the Nativity icon, they are all equally venerated because they are in my prayer corner.

Mary

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have a matching set of Christ & the Theotokos, from Dormition Skete, which I purchased (actually, still paying them off) from my Church bookstore.
MS-CT-05-06.gif

I have an icon of the Glorious Nativity, from Image and Likeness, which Dixie (she is such an Angel!) sent me.
Nativity1.jpg

And finally, I have a Byzantine Crucifix, which originated from a source that I will not name nor link to. I purchased it from my Church bookstore. The bookstore has since stopped doing business from this unnamed source. It is quite beautiful.
byz_cru.jpg

A friend from Church has offered to write an Icon for me of the Saint of my choice. I have asked him to write it of Blessed Fr. Seraphim Rose. It should end up looking something like the following:
frserrose2.jpg

Reactions: Tsarina
Upvote 0

Tsarina

Most Holy Theotokos save us!
Aug 13, 2005
Who wants to know?
Visit site
✟6,523.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Protoevangel.. i have many icons of Fr. Seraphim Rose! I'm just waiting for his cannonization right now :). Did you know, that Mount Athos has already written an Akathist to him?!
Anyway, here is my list:

Christ
Theotokos (many different versions)
St. Edward the Martyr (pre-schism western Saint)
St. Herman of Alaska
St. Elizabeth the New-Martyr
St. Kosmas
St. Peter the Aluet
St. Andrew the Apostle
St. George the great Martyr
St. Abraham of the Old Testament with St. Sara and the Trinity
St. Nicholas Palanas of Athens
The synaxis of North America
St. Peter & Paul
St. Athena the Martyr
Prophet Elijah
Prophet Moses
St Mary of Egypt
St. John the Wonderworker
-St. Alexander Nevsky
-St. Nicholas the Martyr and Family (Royal Martyrs)
-Tzar Nicholas the II
St. Mathew the Apostle
St. Vladimir of Kiev
St. Efthathios
St. Seraphim of Sarov
St. Augustine of Hippo
St. Zaccheas (the man of short stature that climbed the tree to see Christ)
St. Boris the Passion Bearer
St. Gleb the Passion Bearer
St. Nektarios of Aegina
St. Brendan the Navigator
St. Kevin of Glenonlough (sp?)
St. Xenia of Petersburg
St. Sergi of Randonezh
St. Raphael of Brooklyn
St. John the Baptist
Guardian Angel

Other icons:
-The road to Emmaus
-Crucifixion
-Desis
-Mystical Supper
-Wedding in Cana

The most venerated for me are:
St. John the Wonderworker (i read about him when i converted and felt to drawn to this Saint)

St. Mary of Egypt (she's my patron :) )

Theotokos (My protection!)

St. Seraphim of Sarov (I read so much about him and his life, i was so taken and by this Saint.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SeraphimSarov

Пресвятая Богородица, спаси нас...
Feb 16, 2007
Nowhere
✟28,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Icons!

The mystical supper, more spacious than the heavens, Christ the Teacher, the true vine, a large Russian crucifix icon, St. Maximus the Hut Burner (I wonder who wrote that!), St. Paul, Theotokos of Tikvin, St. Michael the Archangel, and Christ enthroned.

Upvote 0

SeraphimSarov

Пресвятая Богородица, спаси нас...
Feb 16, 2007
Nowhere
✟28,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Where can I get an Icon? (Sorry for the off-topic question).
Visit an Orthodox church... most parishes have some icons for sale after the Liturgy. So go there for the Liturgy too while you're at it!

:)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.