• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

The icon reads: “Evolution is the key to the philosophy of Antichrist.”

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Jude1:3Contendforthefaith, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,707
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    https://twitter.com/AudioScribeOW/status/1349952064441389057

The icon reads: “Evolution is the key to the philosophy of Antichrist.”

This is a paraphrase of Fr. Seraphim’s words that perfectly captures a big reason why a proper understanding of Genesis and Creation matters for us today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From "Genesis, Creation and Early Man: The Orthodox Christian Vision" -
    by : Blessed Fr. Seraphim Rose :

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

+2,707
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    The Theory of Evolution Emits a Foul Stench

(From the book: My Elder Joseph the Hesychast by Elder Ephraim)

3. hedrick

hedrick Senior Veteran Supporter

+8,303
    Presbyterian
    Single
    As a non-Orthodox I have to ask Orthodox participants: Is this truly regarded by Orthodox as a holy icon?

4. Ezana

Ezana Ιησούς Χριστός Νικά

+158
    Canada
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I want to get my hands on that book so badly. I hear a reprint is in the works for this year!

5. Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

+2,707
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Uncut Mountain Supply

6. hedrick

hedrick Senior Veteran Supporter

+8,303
    Presbyterian
    Single
    I'm not sure whether that answered my question. Would any other Orthodox posters be willing to respond?

7. OrthodoxWanderer

OrthodoxWanderer Active Member

+327
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I know!!!! On Amazon they're selling used copies for thousands of dollars. I hope I can someday read it.

8. OrthodoxWanderer

+327
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Where did you hear about the reprint?

9. Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

+2,707
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  10. Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

+2,707
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    I think that the guy talking in this video is still involved in mesmerism / hypnotism / occult because the people who are interviewing him have this glossy hazey look in their eyes, but I do believe that he is telling the truth about Evolution though :

11. Ezana

Ezana Ιησούς Χριστός Νικά

+158
    Canada
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I saw a comment online that mentioned a possible reprinting, and decided to seek out confirmation from the monastery itself. No concrete timeline, but it's in the works!

2021-01-16_LI.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
    • List
  12. OrthodoxWanderer

+327
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
  13. Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

+2,707
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    You're welcome.

14. gurneyhalleck1

gurneyhalleck1 Reader

+6,261
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    I wish to goodness I could get a copy of the Genesis book by Father Damascene and Father Seraphim. I read it years back, loved it, but now whenever I see a copy it’s like $900

15. Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

+2,707
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Creation, Early Man, and Evolution | According to Modern Holy Fathers

Introduction

0:38 Fr. Seraphim Rose, Hieromonk of Platina, California (+1982) – Basic presuppositions for knowledge of creation and early man.

4:33 St. Ignatius Brianchaninov, Bishop of the Caucasus and Stavropol (+1867) – The state of creation before the Fall of Adam.

6:55 St. Hilarion (Troitsky), Hieromartyr and Archbishop of Verey (+1929) – The Church’s view leads to humility, the secular view leads to pride.

10:38 St. Nikolai (Velimirovic), Bishop of Zica (+1956) – “Death is Unnatural”

13:32 St. Justin (Popovic) of Celije (+1979) – How man and the rest of creation are inseparable. When man fell, all of creation fell.

15:22 St. Ambrose of Optina (+1891) – “Don’t believe at face value all kinds of nonsense…”

15:46 St. John of Kronstadt (+1908) – True knowledge and the over-educated.

16:49 St. Vladimir, Hieromartyr and Metropolitan of Kiev and Gallich (+1918) – Do not listen to teachings of unbelief for they “promise you nothing but despair and an inconsolable life.”

18:44 St. Theophan the Recluse, Bishop of Tambov (+1894) – Evolution is anathema, along with other secular Western philosophies, and only a pure nous can accurately contemplate divine reality.

29:19 St. Barsanuphius of Optina (+1913) – The moral ramifications of evolutionist philosophy.

30:05 St. Nectarios, Metropolitan of Pentapolis and Wonderworker of Aegina (+1920) – “Without the acceptance of revealed truth, man will remain an insoluble problem.”

31:42 Fr. Seraphim Rose (+1982) – Knowledge of creation and early man can only be obtained by divine illumination. (Editor’s Note: This essentially repeats his teaching from the beginning, but it is kept here since it is so key to our understanding.)

34:26 St. Luke the Surgeon, Archbishop of Simferopol (+1961) – Evolutionary theory is not only contradictory to the Scripture, but to nature itself.

35:54 St. Sophrony (Sakharov) the Athonite (+1993) – The absurdity of evolutionary theory.

36:57 St. Paisios of Mount Athos (+1994) – Monkeys are far from humans; evolutionary theory is blasphemy.

41:31 St. Justin (Popovic) of Celije (+1979) – His letter to a theology student asking about evolution in which he focuses on the impact of evolution on the Orthodoxy doctrine of salvation.

46:35 Fr. Seraphim Rose (+1982) – Brief overview of the keys to the Patristic understanding.

52:44 Hymns from Vigil of the Sunday of Forgiveness, The Casting Out of Adam from Paradise

54:33 Hymn from the Feast of the Elevation of the Holy Cross

16. truefiction1

truefiction1 Fool

+1,941
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I don't know. I've never seen it until now.

17. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+15,364
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    officially yes once/if Fr Seraphim is added to the calendar.

18. OrthodoxWanderer

+327
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. rusmeister

rusmeister A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian

+3,380
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Hi there!
    I would have said, Not necessarily, but it would have to be taken more seriously if he is declared a saint, but that is pretty close to Fr Matt's answer.

I do believe that modern education and modern science are worshiped and trusted far too much, producing scientism and the Heresy of Meliorism ("We know better than the saints and fathers because we live today, and they didn't have our educations, science, iPhones and the internet") The pride that built the Tower of Babel. So, yes, I now believe macroevolution to be false as a narrative, and that Fr Seraphim is right. I can see rational reasons why, and knowing the history of public education well will cure you of trusting it and the unphilosophical, untheological, and as a result illogical scientists that it produces, especially regarding ideas that cannot be observed or experimented on, based only on calculation and assumption.

20. rusmeister

rusmeister A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian

+3,380
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    But surely people can and do "write" icons of a declared saint with sayings that are not Orthodox dogma? (Although I think this one to truly be Orthodox dogma, but a shocking one to people with blind faith in the modern education which produces the scientists.