United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That's kinda the point of the thread.
I thought it was about a movie that upset the president because he didn’t understanding the premise.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I thought it was about a movie that upset the president because he didn’t understanding the premise.

The argument is that certain actions and depictions are allowable on one set of individuals, that are not even conceivable considering those that perpetrate them. This is also dangerous in this political atmosphere.

• Agree
Reactions: Zanting
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The argument is that certain actions and depictions are allowable on one set of individuals, that are not even conceivable considering those that perpetrate them. This is also dangerous in this political atmosphere.
You may have a point that it’s a dangerous movie to release at this time (I would disagree with that) but that’s a separate issue from Trump supporters being cast as victims in a movie. Keep in mind the liberal elites are being depicted as cold, murderous villains so I don’t see why you think this movie is so one sided. I mean, we can all agree and understand that hunting people for their politics (or any reason for that matter) is wrong so why would it matter if that’s the premise of a movie?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
You may have a point that it’s a dangerous movie to release at this time (I would disagree with that) but that’s a separate issue from Trump supporters being cast as victims in a movie. Keep in mind the liberal elites are being depicted as cold, murderous villains so I don’t see why you think this movie is so one sided. I mean, we can all agree and understand that hunting people for their politics (or any reason for that matter) is wrong so why would it matter if that’s the premise of a movie?
Maybe because so many believe that the liberal elites really are cold murderous villains and the Trump supporters are innocent blameless victims and that this movie is intended to encourage the liberal elites and show them that their most heartfelt desires are attainable.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Is it your contention that the release of this film is a bigger issue than, say, the daily rhetoric from news media outlets that attacks and demonizes groups of people? This is why this thread comes across as faux outrage. You are complaining about divisiveness when the people you listen to and support partake in that all the time.

Is your concern that a movie like this could lead to violence because recent hateful rhetoric has resulted in a terrorist attack against Hispanics?

Much of the language used by that terrorist also appears on this forum:
  • "Well, we know Soros funded the Caravan border invasion a few months back."
  • "There is a huge difference between legitimate and legal immigration, and illegal MIGRANT INVASION, particularly Muslim migrant invasion, which is an adjunct of Jihad (holy war against the Western infidels). The globalist elites of the Western world are promoting lawlessness and migrant invasion deliberately (which includes human trafficking), and men like George Soros are pouring millions (if not billions) into this to ensure that the Muslim caliphate is established in the West, and that Western values and Christianity are reduced to nothing."
  • "Oh, I've always had sympathy for land owners in Texas . Being the walk across for the illegal invasion as they are. Going out to the garage to mow the lawn, opening the door and finding an illegal there trying to steal something to sell and make their way further into the country, as example."
  • "This is an invasion in the guise of a refugee crisis."
  • "Black jobs were seriously jeopardized with open borders and illegal migrant invasion."
  • "Good news is that with this New Trade Deal with Mexico, they got serious and closed their southern borders and put a stop to this invasion."
Complaining about this movie seems like a distraction from the real rhetoric you see appearing on this very forum, the very same rhetoric that has resulted in deaths. Your complaint regarding this film isn't even about rhetoric because it is in no way meant to label and attack a group of people. You have to hop and skip in you logic to get there; meanwhile, you have direct quotes here and from the media outlets that foment that hate labeling actual people as "invaders." And now we've seen a person follow the words of Ann Coulter.

Upvote 0

Alien Lotus

Jul 8, 2019
Mid-Atlantic USA
✟5,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
View attachment 260879

View attachment 260880

View attachment 260881

Universal halts ads for Hilary Swank film that satirizes elites killing off red-state ‘deplorables’

With taglines like: "They're not human beings, they're deplorables", this movie depicts an entirely white cast of "Red state deplorables" lead by a redneck southern draw speaking protagonist women, that supports the racist "commander and chief" and is being hunted for sport by "Blue state elites".

Nice.... good to see Hollywood doesn't feed into the rhetoric and divisiveness.

The outcry has caused Universal Studios to stop the release of this pathetic film.
Liberals hunting and killing Red Staters? Even Democrats should be mad at that sorry portrayal of their party.

Universal cancels 'The Hunt' release in wake of mass shootings and Trump scrutiny

• Agree
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Is it your contention that the release of this film is a bigger issue than, say, the daily rhetoric from news media outlets that attacks and demonizes groups of people?

No. this is the continuation of the daily rhetoric we already live.

You still haven't been able the grasp the notion I am not complaining about the movie. I think this might be the third or fourth time I said that now. For some reason it's like I have to agree with your assessment of my opinion. Well, no. I understand you do not hear that word all to often but I promise it is in the dictionary.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Alien Lotus

Jul 8, 2019
Mid-Atlantic USA
✟5,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why? They recognized it as satire. Tasteless and poorly timed to be sure, but satire none the less.
Satire?
That's a cover that even Universal recognized didn't fly. Hence the pull of the movie after mass murder in real life.

• Agree
Reactions: LostMarbels
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Satire?
That's a cover that even Universal recognized didn't fly. Hence the pull of the movie after mass murder in real life.
I fully agree with the decision to pull the film, but no, "satire" is not a cover, it was the intent of the makers.

And I found the discussion enlightening, particularly that I learned that there are people on the Right who really believe that the Left would like to hunt them down and kill them. I was astonished by that and the Left should learn from it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
No. this is the continuation of the daily rhetoric we already live.

You still haven't been able the grasp the notion I am not complaining about the movie. I think this might be the third or fourth time I said that now. For some reason it's like I have to agree with your assessment of my opinion. Well, no. I understand you do not hear that word all to often but I promise it is in the dictionary.
You need to stop ignoring the locus of much of the "daily rhetoric" if you're going to move forward. You want to ignore the main source of the problem and then attack something else. This film is a satire and you don't seem to grasp that it's a commentary on the daily rhetoric you rail against.

• Agree
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Here’s why this movie was a bad idea. It too perfectly feeds into the right’s victimization and martyrdom fantasies they’ve built up to insulate themselves from criticism.

Now that's ironic!

• Agree
Reactions: LostMarbels
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Zanting

not so new
Mar 15, 2012
✟47,296.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So opt out of it. As I pointed out before, it's easy to do. Stop acting like you believe that Conservatives are "more American" than Liberals. That Republicans are "more American" than Democrats. That Christians, particularly Evangelical Christians, are "more American" than members of other religions. Stop hanging around with or supporting people who believe those things. Just like that, the "Trump hate" will vanish away.
Your response certainly indicates you have no idea what you're talking about...and apparently want to paint people who have been attacked or assaulted by Trump haters with the same brush...you couldn't be more wrong.

I work in customer service where you get to witness this kind of behavior going on...I don't bring politics up...nor am I an American...I'm Canadian...nor would I claim to be an evangelical conservative Christian...nor can I afford to quit my job so Trump hate isn't in my face. There is a great deal of support in the world for the POTUS, but Trump hate is world wide as well.

Furthermore...working with the public I, and many others, personally witnessed the Trump hate frenzy build up before the election...and explode after he became POTUS. I/we had never seen anything like that before...so much hatred toward a candidate and then after he became POTUS. To be sure noise has been made about other POTUS's...but nothing at all compared to what we witnessed happening with Donald Trump.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Your response certainly indicates you have no idea what you're talking about...and apparently want to paint people who have been attacked or assaulted by Trump haters with the same brush...you couldn't be more wrong.

I work in customer service where you get to witness this kind of behavior going on...I don't bring politics up...nor am I an American...I'm Canadian...nor would I claim to be an evangelical conservative Christian...nor can I afford to quit my job so Trump hate isn't in my face. There is a great deal of support in the world for the POTUS, but Trump hate is world wide as well.

Furthermore...working with the public I, and many others, personally witnessed the Trump hate frenzy build up before the election...and explode after he became POTUS. I/we had never seen anything like that before...so much hatred toward a candidate and then after he became POTUS. To be sure noise has been made about other POTUS's...but nothing at all compared to what we witnessed happening with Donald Trump.
Why would you be a victim of it? Someone in Canada who does not fit the profile of a Trump supporter?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I like how a celebrity’s opinion matters only when it lines up with the right’s ideals.

I don't care if an individual is a celebrity or not. I Agree with his opinion. Constitutionally you have the right. However it is not the time nor the place.

I also posted that to put it out there the film will still be released as slated.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I like how a celebrity’s opinion matters only when it lines up with the right’s ideals.
I also love the irony of saying you support freedom of speech while criticizing this film, but remain silent when the topic is white supremacists marching in the streets.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't care if an individual is a celebrity or not. I Agree with his opinion. Constitutionally you have the right. However it is not the time nor the place.

I also posted that to put it out there the film will still be released as slated.
I’m not saying you, I meant FOX. They wouldn’t have invited a celebrity on advancing the opinion that the movie should be made. I’ve heard many times from the right on celebrities that interject themselves and their opinion on matters of politics and society and they’re pretty much all told the same thing. To stuff it.

Glad to see the filmmakers stand up to the bullies that want to shutdown their right to artistic expression. I probably wouldn’t have cared much for this movie had this been left alone but now I’ll make it a point to go watch it.

Upvote 0