Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Remember that episode of Black Mirror where people used likes to determine status in society? You take something real, turn it a little, it's a satire and commentary. But it looks like satire is completely lost on some people.

I have no Idea what black mirror even is. I don't watch stuff like that.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I keep sidestepping the entire direction you are trying to take this on purpose but you seem to be on a tangent here. I do not care who you want to find at fault, blame or ridicule. I am simply saying such a film covering the material it does at this point in time is just inflammatory, and could cause real world issues.

I don't know what direction you think I'm trying to take this. I'm talking about the movie and how the right, at first, grossly misinterpreted it and that, once that was pointed out, they adjusted course and started complaining about divisiveness more generally - a notion that is pretty laughable given the devotion directed at Trump.

You're the one who brought up conservatives being afraid of being bombed at polling stations.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yes, it's a bad idea to provoke paranoid people who own guns.

*poke* You guys are just paranoid.

*poke* You're idiots

*poke* you're racist

*poke* everything you believe is immoral and stupid

And you wonder why some people think others actualy want something to happen. They just keep egging it on day after day. Just got to get that next inflammatory comment in.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I have no Idea what black mirror even is. I don't watch stuff like that.
It's a modern-day Twilight Zone in which they take current things in technology and it's almost like a science-fiction horror. Some are pure fantasy based on current technology, but others touch on things that are current issues and debates. For instance, one episode dealt with a company like Facebook that was able to pull up a lot of information on a user faster than the police. Another looked at viral culture and how people's addiction made them miss things that are plainly in front of them. This movie looks like it does the same thing; like it's predecessor, The Purge, it take aspects of current society and turns it into a horror film. Those that miss that fact kind of prove the point this film in which it satirizes political division, yet they can't even see the satire, instead screaming about how bad it is.

It's like films that satirize racism in America, e.g., Bamboozled, C.S.A.: The Confederate States of America. People got it.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I don't know what direction you think I'm trying to take this. I'm talking about the movie and how the right, at first, grossly misinterpreted it and that, once that was pointed out, they adjusted course and started complaining about divisiveness more generally - a notion that is pretty laughable given the devotion directed at Trump.

*poke* Better be devoted to 'dear leader'

It is comments like this that lead me to understand you know nothing about me nor do you even care what I actualy think about Trump. I honestly believe most of this is to see how many digs someone can get in.

You're the one who brought up conservatives being afraid of being bombed at polling stations.

You have never been the target of a liberal screeching at the top of their lungs, as others start to encircle you. Things have become nuts in today's society. And society wants to act like it isn't happening. We already had ANTIFA attempt to firebomb a building.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's a modern-day Twilight Zone in which they take current things in technology and it's almost like a science-fiction horror. Some are pure fantasy based on current technology, but others touch on things that are current issues and debates. For instance, one episode dealt with a company like Facebook that was able to pull up a lot of information on a user faster than the police. Another looked at viral culture and how people's addiction made them miss things that are plainly in front of them. This movie looks like it does the same thing; like it's predecessor, The Purge, it take aspects of current society and turns it into a horror film. Those that miss that fact kind of prove the point this film in which it satirizes political division, yet they can't even see the satire, instead screaming about how bad it is.

It's like films that satirize racism in America, e.g., Bamboozled, C.S.A.: The Confederate States of America. People got it.

It is kinda hard to see satire in a situation others do not even reconise is going on.

We are not far off from seeing people killed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
We are not far off? We already have Trump supporters committing terrorist attacks, they've done so multiple times. But that's not what the film is about.

Stop trying to get the digs in. We don't have to hate each other. It's ridiculous. All it does is adds more fuel to the fire.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
*poke* Better be devoted to 'dear leader'

I'm not sure what your point is there, but the blind fealty shown to Trump has been pretty staggering. Not all of his supporters are guilty, but it's been way more pervasive than I expected it to be before the election.

It is comments like this that lead me to understand you know nothing about me nor do you even care what I actualy think about Trump. I honestly believe most of this is to see how many digs someone can get in.

Huh?

Allow me to clarify my earlier comments (since, in hindsight, I can see how they could've been misunderstood). When I said, "a notion that is pretty laughable given the devotion directed at Trump.", I was speaking of the right generally, not of you specifically.

You have never been the target of a liberal screeching at the top of their lungs, as others start to encircle you. Things have become nuts in today's society. And society wants to act like it isn't happening. We already had ANTIFA attempt to firebomb a building.

And we've had right-wingers actually bombing things on many more occasions than that. Again, the overwhelming majority of political violence in this country has been right->left, not left->right.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure what your point is there, but the blind fealty shown to Trump has been pretty staggering. Not all of his supporters are guilty, but it's been way more pervasive than I expected it to be before the election.

This whole blind fidelity thing is a way of justifying your own point of veiw, not mine. It is a matter of perception. I don't need blind fidelity. I chose to support Trump. I don't need a way out or an excuse. I know exactly what I am supporting and do so willfully. Your perception of that, is not my reality.

Huh?

Allow me to clarify my earlier comments (since, in hindsight, I can see how they could've been misunderstood). When I said, "a notion that is pretty laughable given the devotion directed at Trump.", I was speaking of the right generally, not of you specifically.

Personally, I believe in a cause... not necessarily Trump.

And we've had right-wingers actually bombing things on many more occasions than that. Again, the overwhelming majority of political violence in this country has been right->left, not left->right.

So how do we stop it? Keep pointing fingers? Tell everyone else how horrible they are?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
So how do we stop it? Keep pointing fingers? Tell everyone else how horrible they are?

Not getting worked up over a misinterpretation of a movie would be one start.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Not getting worked up over a misinterpretation of a movie would be one start.

I perceive it as being too busy trying to find where I am wrong than listening to what I am saying.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Stop trying to get the digs in. We don't have to hate each other. It's ridiculous. All it does is adds more fuel to the fire.
I'm not getting in digs, I'm pointing out the ridiculousness of singling out entertainment as some sort of catalyst for violence. We already have Trump supporters committing terrorist acts, they aren't motivated by satirical movies. If the mythical liberal terrorism the right-wing seems so intent on exaggerating truly materializes, it won't be because of this movie.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
This whole blind fidelity thing is a way of justifying your own point of veiw, not mine. It is a matter of perception. I don't need blind fidelity. I chose to support Trump. I don't need a way out or an excuse. I know exactly what I am supporting and do so willfully. Your perception of that, is not my reality.

Personally, I believe in a cause... not necessarily Trump.

I think we have to realize that neither "side" owns America, we are just diverse strands in the totality which makes up America. Republicans or Conservatives are not "more American" than Liberals or Democrats nor vice versa.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Please don't bring up violence in video games, that is a distraction from easy access to guns. Violent video games have nothing to do with mass shootings, let's stop repeating a line from 30 years.

Of course they don't! They just let people actually engage in the fantasy of killing people after they acquire the gun they desire.
Nothing like stoking the fantasies of those who think killing people is fun. Focus on the gun, not the mind of the one using it for murdering others.

• Agree
Reactions: LostMarbels
Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm not getting in digs, I'm pointing out the ridiculousness of singling out entertainment as some sort of catalyst for violence. We already have Trump supporters committing terrorist acts, they aren't motivated by satirical movies. If the mythical liberal terrorism the right-wing seems so intent on exaggerating truly materializes, it won't be because of this movie.

You will never make peace by breeding hate.

• Agree
Reactions: Aldebaran
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
You will never make peace by breeding hate.
Your comment does not address my point at all, but okay... If you want to stop breeding hate, then be more focused on people that breed actual hate, not focus on a satirical film; it's like complaining that Idiocracy is divisive because it calls people stupid. If a terrorist is parroting the words of right-wing media (e.g., an "invasion" by immigrants), shouldn't you look at that rhetoric? No one told anyone to pick up a gun (well, Ann Coulter did say shoot them); but you have a real-world example of divisive rhetoric that inspires people to violence, yet you're focused on a movie and complaining about divisive rhetoric. You are clearly not that focused on divisive rhetoric because you would be focused on the language that has resulted in actual bloodshed. You'll have to forgive us for yawning at what appears to be faux outrage over satire.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
That is all in your own head. Not even what I am talking about. All good.
If you want to focus on the hate and divisive rhetoric, then direct your energy that people that terrorists frequently cite. Even if it is not their intention, then there certainly should be some self-reflection about how people may twist their words. The problem is since many of these people try to speak in vague terms to allow plausible deniability, they neglect the people that will take their rhetoric to the extreme; but remember, they work in plausible deniability, they don't care if extremists take their words to heart.

Upvote 0