• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

The Hunt

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by LostMarbels, Aug 12, 2019.

1. LostMarbels

LostMarbels Follower of Jesus

+1,998
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Others
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Moral Orel

Moral Orel Proud Citizen of Moralton Supporter

+1,756
    United States
    Agnostic
    Married
    There goes the PC police again. It's sad to see these folks caving to social pressure and having their freedom of speech stifled because some folk don't like their movie.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. Nithavela

Nithavela lologist

+10,025
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    lol

4. Tanj

Tanj Redefined comfortable middle class

+3,131
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    You could have just posted "I don't understand satire".

5. LostMarbels

+1,998
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Others
    satire
    [ˈsaˌtī(ə)r]
    NOUN
    1. the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

Two things are apparent, this is not humor, it is labeled a rated R 'gore horror' film.

Secondly, it is apparent who is implied by the 'red state racist deplorables' that are to be hunted down and killed.

What stupidity or vices are being ridiculed? The only known identifier in this movie is they support the racist commander in chief, and thusly are deplorables needing to be killed.

This isn't a mockery, or pointing out a vice. This is a glorification of killing these individuals for sport. It's fun. They deserve to die.

upload_2019-8-12_5-44-44.png

So.... were going to make a movie that depicts trump supporters getting murdered to point out how stupid their vices are?

How does this all work in your line of thinking?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Kate30

Kate30 Member

+128
    Australia
    Christian
    Widowed
    The thrill of the hunt is nothing new. Be that with animals or be that with humans. Some buy to own, others buy for pleasure, while others buy to hunt, torture and kill.

7. Speedwell

Speedwell Well-Known Member

+8,866
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    It's an hyperbolic treatment of the victim fantasies of the Right (the Left are out to get us) acted out in the way that the Right would do it (hunting down with guns).

8. rambot

rambot Senior Member

+4,927
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Greens
    I can think of 0 liberals who are interested in this happening. I'd bet there are Trump supporters who see this as inevitable

9. GoldenBoy89

GoldenBoy89 We're Still Here

+14,889
    Humanist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    It’s just a movie.

10. Hazelelponi

Hazelelponi Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,593
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    The children of our day who have never been taught human life has worth seems to be the ones we need not to entice to commit murder...

And it is they who will watch the movie with glee.. and then go out and potentially kill.

11. GoldenBoy89

+14,889
    Humanist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    The movie is rated R. It’s not meant for children.

12. Hazelelponi

Hazelelponi Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,593
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    You think it's free speech to depict the murder of people because you disagree with their political views?

There is such a thing called responsibility.. and this is irresponsible.

13. Speedwell

+8,866
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    Which children are these?

14. Speedwell

+8,866
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    It is free speech to depict (as characters in a film) the murder of people by other people who disagree with their political views. Such films are common.

15. GoldenBoy89

+14,889
    Humanist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Movies depict the murders of all kinds of people all the time. Why is this one so much worse?

Perhaps but that is their creative right.

I thought the argument from the right was the only ones responsible for murder are the killers themselves.

16. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Well-Known Member

+9,538
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    US-Democrat
    You know the rich people are the bad guys, right? And there's nothing new about movies where people hunt other people - that's been the premise of loads of movies from Deliverance to Hunger Games as well as the tv series Dexter. Specifically, rich people hunting poor people for sport was the premise of the Hostel movies, The Most Dangerous Game, Hard Target, Surviving the Game and others.

The 11 Best Human-Hunting Movies - Geek.com
    10 Great Movies About Humans Hunting Humans

I can't think of one where the hunters are presented as the good guys or the heroes except for ones where they're hunting criminals. And even Dexter was complicated enough that you stopped rooting for him pretty early on.

Judging by the trailer, the movie looks stupid and tasteless, so I'm not too sad to see it pulled. Initially, I thought it more than a bit of a stretch to describe it as "satire", but then I read @Speedwell's comment regarding it being a send-up of right-wing persecution fantasies. If that's an accurate interpretation of the movie (and I'm reluctant to give it that much credit), then lololol, way to play right into it, guys.

On a related matter, Ezra Klein recently did a podcast exploring why the right and the left create such different media and why individuals who try to cross over into territory typically dominated by the other side tend to not succeed.

Why liberals and conservatives create such different media (with Danna Young) from The Ezra Klein Show

I bring it up because one of the points raised was how the psychological traits that lead people towards being conservative also make them pretty poor at creating and understanding satire. That type of sarcastic fill-in-the-blanks humor just doesn't land with folks who tend to favor clarity and straightforwardness.

17. LostMarbels

+1,998
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Others
    I feel they have the right to make a movie about whatever they so choose. I thought this was interesting in a time and place where gun control is debated around every corner, and violence in games are being discussed by the President.

Movies like the purge for example, are placed in an fictionalised America that does not exist. Political parties that do not exist. The entire dystopian world is fantasy fiction. It is entirely false. Any parallels drawn are entirely up to the perception of the viewer. This movie however plays into stereotypes found in present day society, and terminology in actual politics; where white, racist deplorables are murdered simply because they support the commander in chief.

Same reason in real life you might get assaulted, threatened or singled out. Supporting the commander in chief as one of those from the basket of deplorables.

18. SummerMadness

SummerMadness Senior Veteran

+8,263
    Christian
    Please don't bring up violence in video games, that is a distraction from easy access to guns. Violent video games have nothing to do with mass shootings, let's stop repeating a line from 30 years.

19. SummerMadness

+8,263
    Christian
    Except the villains in this film are the liberals and the Trump supporters are the victims of these latte-drinking TED Talk-loving "globalists."

20. SummerMadness

+8,263
    Christian
    National Review: Pro-Trump Movie Cancelled, Thanks to Trump