Visit site
✟1,718,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I’m not sure I understand your question. But I do want to clarify one thing. There aren’t nine fruits of the Spirit. There is one fruit. Their are nine characteristics that describe this one fruit.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Chapter 5 of the Epistle to the Galatians.

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.
Right. One fruit.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Does God forbid the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit?
As Hammster already posted, it's "fruit" singular, with all those characteristics (just like you could say, "the fruit of a healthy relationship is trust, openness, understanding, equity"). Those characteristics are what result from being in communion with God and His community. The Holy Spirit is God.....and the "fruit" or result of being "filled with the Holy Spirit " is certainly not forbidden, but encouraged. It's even called a "gift":

Acts 1:4 ~ And while they were gathered together, He commanded them: “Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift the Father promised, which you have heard Me discuss.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,802.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just a quick question this Sunday morning. Are all the fruits of God's nature forbidden? I realize the tree of knowledge is forbidden in the Garden of Eden as God declares this as original sin. Does God forbid the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit?

Why would God forbid anything that is from his Holy Spirit?

Upvote 0

Philip1993

Supporter
Oct 24, 2019
Minneapolis
✟76,963.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
As Hammster already posted, it's "fruit" singular, with all those characteristics (just like you could say, "the fruit of a healthy relationship is trust, openness, understanding, equity"). Those characteristics are what result from being in communion with God and His community. The Holy Spirit is God.....and the "fruit" or result of being "filled with the Holy Spirit " is certainly not forbidden, but encouraged. It's even called a "gift":

Acts 1:4 ~ And while they were gathered together, He commanded them: “Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift the Father promised, which you have heard Me discuss.

BEST ANSWER!

Thanks everyone.

• Friendly
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟304,048.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Think of a bunch of grapes as being one fruit, not just each grape individually. The tree of knowledge is forbidden in the Garden of Eden and there are the tree of life on either side of the stream of life in the new jerusalem. The leaves are for the nation but the fruit is due in season.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟37,027.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Just a quick question this Sunday morning. Are all the fruits of God's nature forbidden? I realize the tree of knowledge is forbidden in the Garden of Eden as God declares this as original sin. Does God forbid the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit?

The promise of the Holy Spirit is a "deposit or down payment", of our inheritance.

2 Corinthians 1:22. He set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.
Ephesians 1:14. The Holy Spirit is the down payment of our inheritance,
until the redemption of the possession,
to the praise of his glory.

The Inheritance and Sanctification.
Acts 20:32. So now, brethren, I commend you to God and to the word of His grace, which is able to build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified.
Acts 26:18.
To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

Sanctification-the process by which we overcome the world.
Revelation 2:7.
He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give to eat from the tree of life, which is in the midst of the Paradise of God.
Revelation 21:7. He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his God
and he shall be My son.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Just a correction, but an important one... Genesis 2:15-17, " The Lord God took the man and placed him in the orchard in Eden to care for it and to maintain it. Then the Lord God commanded the man, “You may freely eat fruit from every tree of the orchard, but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will surely die.”

There is a huge difference between "the tree of knowledge" -- there is no such thing -- and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. The point of the story is that humans have a choice: life through faith (trusting in God) or life through humans' deciding on their own about good vs. evil.

The fruit of the Spirit (singular) is God's gift to those of us who believe.

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums