Nazareth
✟16,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How on earth can you claim to know this?

Its in testimonies. People would say they would die and come back and were in Hell. But they also would say before this that they were saved by the Holy Spirit. Obviously since they went to Hell they weren't. Then they would say "NOW I am saved by the Holy Spirit!"

And I can't help but think how do they know? How do any of us know until we die?

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its in testimonies. People would say they would die and come back and were in Hell. But they also would say before this that they were saved by the Holy Spirit. Obviously since they went to Hell they weren't. Then they would say "NOW I am saved by the Holy Spirit!"

And I can't help but think how do they know? How do any of us know until we die?

You will know them by their fruits...

Jesus said that

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Q: is there a way to even tell if you have (God) the Holy Spirit?
A: Yes. Your life changes for the better.

Q2: sinners who were sent to Hell but then came back.
A2: Nobody has ever returned from the "Lake of Fire"

Man cannot and should not JUDGE the spiritual POSITION in God of another. BUT observe their spiritual FRUITS.

Matthew 7:16,20
You will know them by their fruits.
Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes
nor figs from thistles, are they?
So then, you will know them by their fruits.

Matthew 7: 15-20...Jesus: Sermon on the Mount....A Tree and Its Fruit
15 “Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves.
16 You will know them by their fruits.
Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they?
17 So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit.
18 A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit.
19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.
20 So then, you will know them by their fruits.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Specifically meaning what?

Meaning a person who has the Holy Spirit will bear fruit that shows that relationship...

Galatians 5:16-25

Jesus also said a bad (sinful) tree cannot bear good (Holy) fruit nor can a good tree (Holy Spirit) bear bad fruit.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I have a friend who wants to receive the Holy Spirit. He says he does not know how to do it. I have prayed with him and told him he must keep asking for it. Is there a sure fire way that I do not know of..... to receive the Holy Spirit. I should add that he does have mental illness and would this get in the way of receiving the Holy Spirit? I do not think so, but he seems to be blocked. He goes to church more often than me and wants to be a Christian.
Normally, you receive the Holy Spirit at baptism. Speaking in tongues is not usually a sign of the receiving of the Holy Spirit; while some are given the gift of speaking in tongues, most Christians are not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And when do you know you have received the Holy Spirit?

There is always an outward manifestation. I don't believe it is speaking in Tongues every time, but it usually is. Can also be prophesy, or even receiving a miraculous healing.

Simon the sorcerer in Acts 8 "saw the Spirit had been given"...

Peter and his crew in Acts 10 "saw the Spirit had been given"...

Point being it is always an outward manifestation that can be seen and easily discerned.

Upvote 0

Jesus4Ever

May 21, 2017
Nazareth
✟16,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is always an outward manifestation. I don't believe it is speaking in Tongues every time, but it usually is. Can also be prophesy, or even receiving a miraculous healing.

Simon the sorcerer in Acts 8 "saw the Spirit had been given"...

Peter and his crew in Acts 10 "saw the Spirit had been given"...

Point being it is always an outward manifestation that can be seen and easily discerned.

What are steps in experiencing that then? (I am a new follower of Christ so please bear with me.)

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This thread got me thinking. There is also fruit of inner peace, Joy and love. I dont speak in tongues or do miracles, but i have peace, joy, and love inside. Like a garden i must cultivate it i think. Praise the Lord. I use to be bound to fear and anxiety, and i was so weak in other areas as well. But now i have the Lord who guides me, loves me and makes me happy. I feel new. Praise the Lord. I cant help but talk about it. :)

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What are steps in experiencing that then? (I am a new follower of Christ so please bear with me.)

Acts 2:38, Romans 6-8

Repent of your sins - (represents dying on the cross to your old way of life)
Get baptized (submerged) in water - burial and resurrection with Christ
Then you can receive the Holy Spirit

Usually given through the laying on of hands by a Spirit Filled believer. But it is Jesus that gives the Spirit (Acts 2:33). Just ask him if no one is available and keep asking until you know. And you will know when you receive

Upvote 0