Mississippi
✟250,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Have you ever read a book from Henry Morris? I doubt you have. I've read many books from Morris and he accepts Biblical creation 100%. He is the father of modern creationism and spent 6-decades as a creationist. I know Christians from many denominations who read Morris. His works on the subject of creationism are real good. He did leg a little in Theology but that is because he, like Newton, was a Calvinist and some of his theological views were rejected. But nobody gets it all right. Even Augustine committed himself to blunders. Though his views on Biblical creationism were strong. He is a recognized name among Christians which is why I quoted from him.

He does not even believe 100% of Genesis chapter 1 or Joshua 10:12-15, Psalms 19 etc..

Show me where He (Morris) says the sun, moon and stars move over the earth in the raqia like the Bible does.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Not all of it. Only parts.

Moving the goal posts? You quoted Bible verses that say the earth doesn't move. There were no qualifiers in those verses. Now you say it was only referring the the earth as a whole? Sounds like selective literalism at work.

Upvote 0

FEZZILLA

Jun 24, 2003
Wisconsin
✟16,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Either way, whatever Henry Morris thinks of this matter, whatever food he prefers for his breakfast, whatever colour of pyjama he wears to his bed, has no bearing on this thread, as this thread is about what the Holy Bible teaches about Flat Earth, not what Henry Morris teaches about it.

Here is 4th century Bishop Ambrose reading from Isaiah 40:22.

"And further on: 'Who sitteth upon the globe of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as locusts, who stretcheth out the heavens as an arch?' Who, then, ventures to put his knowledge in the same plane with that of God?” (St.Ambrose, "Hexameron" The Fathers Of The Church series translated by John J. Savage, p.231).
28379605_407181259726554_4873315987675887118_n.jpg

Do you have an older quotation of Isaiah 40:22 than this one? Ambrose quotes from the old Latin, shortly before Jerome translated the Vulgate. Here is Isaiah 40:22 from Jerome's Latin Vulgate:

"qui sedet super gyrum terrae et habitatores eius sunt quasi lucustae qui extendit velut nihilum caelos et expandit eos sicut tabernaculum ad inhabitandum"

✅Word: Gyrum (aka, Gyrus), from H2329: חוּג chûwg

Latin Definition of Gyrus
https://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/t...nUMsElpb_jegBnTXtf56RNbdN7TzOrxsgObTogVzIBWpw

Hebrew Definition of chuwg
sphere-circle.png

There are 2000+ years of globe earth readings from the Bible. There is no flat earth tradition in Christianity which means the Bible does not teach flat earth. But those who reject the Apostolic traditions will fall for one scam after the other simply because they don't know their own beliefs or where they came from. The Apostles establish their leaders to lead the church after they were gone. This is called the Apostolic Succession and any doctrine that sets out to deviate from that succession is an apostate sect.

Upvote 0

FEZZILLA

Jun 24, 2003
Wisconsin
✟16,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
He does not even believe 100% of Genesis chapter 1 or Joshua 10:12-15, Psalms 19 etc..

Show me where He (Morris) says the sun, moon and stars move over the earth in the raqia like the Bible does.
Morris is not a flat earther so you reject him. We'll get to the firmament and sun later.

Upvote 0

FEZZILLA

Jun 24, 2003
Wisconsin
✟16,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Actually the majority of flat earthers I've seen are Christians or Muslims. I've only met one or two atheist flat earthers.

The flat earth movement is not a Christian movement. In fact, the leader of the Flat Earth Society was an evolutionist.
Flat earth leader is an evolutionist - creation.com

The flat earth movement is an atheist anarchy movement like Antifa, but they like to impugn the Scriptures by pretending to be Christians. Some flat earther in a FB group spilled the beans about that one.
A old friend of mine became a Satanist who was pretending to be a Christian. Well he didn't fool me, but he did wake me up to how manipulative the flat earth movement is which is when I began to combat it.

The Qur'an does teach flat earth. Fortunately Islam is not remotely related to Judaism or Christianity.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I never felt bullied. I'm still waiting for opposition to provide an authoritative argument. All I see here are opinions that are refuted by greater known facts. Is it so hard to believe that God revealed the shape of the earth to His Prophets?
Certainly God could have done so.

You think He did. You've done a lot of work to try and prove it.

What you haven't done is tell us why it is important to you to prove that He did so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Morris is not a flat earther so you reject him. We'll get to the firmament and sun later.

I reject him because he does not believe the 100% literal account of God's creation given in the Bible.

Just like i reject your manipulation of the word world by using latin and not the hebrew, aramaic or greek the Bible was written in.

example the word world (tebel), you are desperately trying to make into a globe.

The only slight mention of a relation to globe in strongs is here (by implication) that reference is only there because 99% of the people believe they live on a spinning ball of water.

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance
confusion
From yabal; the earth (as moist and therefore inhabited); by extension, the globe; by implication, its inhabitants; specifically, a partic. Land, as Babylonia, Palestine -- habitable part, world.

see HEBREW yabal

Strong's Hebrew: 8398. תֵּבֵל (tebel) -- world

Reactions: Phil.Stein
Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The flat earth movement is not a Christian movement. In fact, the leader of the Flat Earth Society was an evolutionist.
Flat earth leader is an evolutionist - creation.com

The flat earth movement is an atheist anarchy movement like Antifa, but they like to impugn the Scriptures by pretending to be Christians. Some flat earther in a FB group spilled the beans about that one.
A old friend of mine became a Satanist who was pretending to be a Christian. Well he didn't fool me, but he did wake me up to how manipulative the flat earth movement is which is when I began to combat it.

The Qur'an does teach flat earth. Fortunately Islam is not remotely related to Judaism or Christianity.

Just so you know, every flat earther I've ever met calls the FES a farce made to mock them and they say they have nothing to do with it.

Also it's against the rules of this forum to tell any self-proclaimed Christian that they are not Christian.

• Useful
Upvote 0

FEZZILLA

Jun 24, 2003
Wisconsin
✟16,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I reject him because he does not believe the 100% literal account of God's creation given in the Bible.

Just like i reject your manipulation of the word world by using latin and not the hebrew, aramaic or greek the Bible was written in.

example the word world (tebel), you are desperately trying to make into a globe.

The only slight mention of a relation to globe in strongs is here (by implication) that reference is only there because 99% of the people believe they live on a spinning ball of water.

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance
confusion
From yabal; the earth (as moist and therefore inhabited); by extension, the globe; by implication, its inhabitants; specifically, a partic. Land, as Babylonia, Palestine -- habitable part, world.

see HEBREW yabal

Strong's Hebrew: 8398. תֵּבֵל (tebel) -- world

Hebrew Lexicons for H8398 תֵּבֵל têbêl

✅The New Strong's Exhaustive Expanded Concordance of the Bible. H8398

"8398. têbêl, tay-bale'; from H2986; the earth (as moist and therefore inhabited); by extension, the globe; by implication, its inhabitants; specifically, a particular land, as Babylonia, Palestine:—world [35x] habitable part, [1x].

The word signified, first, the solid material on which man dwells, and that was formed, founded, established, and disposed by God; and secondly, the inhabitants thereof. See TWOT 835h; BDB--385c, 1061d."

25289434_388986411556593_6676799450309246748_n.jpg

✅ Gesenius' Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon
46503575_10161103243135223_6829675694939701248_n.jpg

✅Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament.

TWOT 835h תֵּבֵל têbêl, tay-bale'; world.

"This noun is used in three basic situations. First, the noun is employed to represent the global mass called earth, including the atmosphere or heavens (cf. Ps.89:12; II Sam 22:16; et al.). têbêl is often in parallelism or apposition with 'eres (I Sam 2:8; Isa.26:9; 34:1; et al.) when 'eres is used in its broadest sense of "the world." The "world" was created by God, not false gods (Jer.10:12; Ps.93:1) and it belongs solely to him (Ps.24:1). God's eternality is illustrated by his existence before the creation of "world" (Ps.90:2) and his wisdom (perhaps a personification of Christ) was present prior to the world's creation (Prov. 8:26, 31). Creation itself gives a "worldwide" witness to God's glory (Ps.19:4 [H 5]) which should result in Yahweh's praise (Ps.98:2). Yahweh will judge this "world," making it empty (Isa.24:4), though in the millennium God will cause Israel to blossom and fill the whole world with her fruit (Isa.27:6).

Second, têbêl is sometime limited to "countries" or "the inhabitable world." This meaning is more closely related to the root meaning. It refers to the world where crops are raised. This is observed in the judgment message against the king of Babylon (not Satan) for violently shaking the "world" or "inhabitable world" (Isa.13:11; 14:17). Lightning is said to enlighten the "world"---undoubtedly referring to a limited land area (Ps.77:18 [H 19]; 97:4).

Third, têbêl may also refer to the inhabitants living upon the whole earth. This is demonstrated by the parallelism of têbêl with I' umim (Ps.9:8 [H 9]) and 'ammim (Ps.96:13; 98:9). The context of these references is Yahweh's judgment upon the world's inhabitants---a judgment both executed in righteousness and instructive of Yahweh's righteousness (Isa.26:9; 34:1).

In several passages the sense of têbêl as the globular earth in combination with its inhabitants is clearly observed. Everything belongs to Yahweh as his creation (Ps.50:12). Yahweh alone controls this world (Job 34:13; Nah 1:5) and his power is over all the earth which always responds to his presence (Job 37:12; Ps.97:4)".

41emL46CWKL._AC_UL320_SR238,320_.jpg

✅New International Dictionary of Old Testament Theology & Exegesis, Volume 4:

"9315. têbêl תֵּבֵל Nom. fem., world (#9315).

OT Found 36x exclusively in poetic texts, the word conveys the cosmic or global sense in which 'eres is also sometimes used; i.e., the whole earth or world considered as a single entity. It sometimes occurs in parallelism with 'eres (Jer.10:12; Lam.4:12). Twice it is used together with 'eres, either to express "the whole earth" (Job 37:12), or perhaps in the sense of the inhabited earth (Prov.8:31). It is used frequently in contexts that associate it with Yahweh's creative act and that, as a result, express the stability or durability of the earth (1 Sam.2:8; Ps.89:11 [12]; 93:1; 96:10). It is used when the whole population of the world is referred to (Ps.24:1; 33:8; 98:7; Isa. 18:3; 26:9; Nah.1:5). Isaiah uses têbêl more than any other prophet, mostly in the context of universal judgment (Isaiah 13:11; 24:4; 34:1; cf. Ps.96:13; 98:9).

Land, earth: --> damd (ground, piece of land, soil, realm of the earth, #141); --> 'eres (earth, land, #824); --> têbêl (world, #9315)."

New-international.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FEZZILLA

Jun 24, 2003
Wisconsin
✟16,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Summary of Hebrew Lexicons for H8398 תֵּבֵל têbêl,

✅Strong's: "; by extension, the globe;"

✅Gesenius': ",the habitable globe,"

✅TWOT: "First, the noun is employed to represent the global mass called earth" <--AND--> "In several passages the sense of têbêl as the globular earth in combination with its inhabitants is clearly observed."

✅New International: "the word conveys the cosmic or global sense in which 'eres is also sometimes used; i.e., the whole earth or world considered as a single entity."

Where do you see flat earth?

Upvote 0

FEZZILLA

Jun 24, 2003
Wisconsin
✟16,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Certainly God could have done so.

You think He did. You've done a lot of work to prove it.

What you haven't done is tell us why it is important to you to prove that He did so.
My goal here is simple: To prove that 2000+ years of Christianity have read globe earth from the Bible. I do not need to answer atheists as they reject all sound answers. Christianity is the fulfillment of OT prophecies and the movement first began as a Jewish movement in Judea 2000 years ago. Those Jewish Apostles of Christ chose successors to leader the church after they were gone. The Apostles did not fail in making wise selections. From Clement of Rome (Philippians 4:3) up to the present now all we find is globe earth readings from the Bible. All this flat earth propaganda is a lying attack on the Christian faith. This is proven by all the reputable works we have in the modern era as well as the more reliable ancient works.

Upvote 0

FEZZILLA

Jun 24, 2003
Wisconsin
✟16,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Does the Bible Teach a Stationary Earth That Never Moves?

One of the more favorite arguments from flat earthers are verses which say how the earth shall not be moved. This expression in modern English carries the opposite meaning that it originally meant in Hebrew. So in order to understand this ancient expression it is necessary to seek out an ancient scholar to define what it means.

How Do We Properly Interpret verses that say how the earth shall not be moved? St.Ambrose, a prominent 4th century church father, explains what those passages mean:

“How the disposition of the earth therefore depends upon the power of God, you may learn also where it is written: ‘He looketh upon the earth and maketh it tremble,’ and elsewhere: ‘One again I move the earth.’ Therefore, the earth remains immovable not by its balances, but is moved frequently by the nod and free will of God, as Job, too, says: ‘The Lord shaketh it from its foundations, and the pillars thereof tremble.’ And elsewhere: ‘Hell is naked before him and there is no covering for death. He stretched out the north over the empty space and hangeth the earth upon nothing. He bindeth up the waters in his clouds. The pillars of heaven fled away and are in dread at his rebuke. By his power the seas are calmed, by his wisdom is struck down the sea-monster, and the gates of heaven fear him.’
By the will of God, therefore, the earth remains immovable. ‘The earth standeth for ever,’ according to Ecclesiastes, yet is moved and nods according to the will of God. It does not therefore continue to exist because based on its own foundation. It does not stay stable because based on its own props. The Lord established it by the support of His will, because ‘in his hand are all the ends of the earth.’ The simplicity of this faith is worth all the proffered proofs.
Let others hold approvingly that the earth never will fall, because it keeps its position in the midst of the world in accordance with nature. They maintain that it is from necessity that the earth remains in its place and is not inclined in another direction, as long as it does not move contrary to nature but in accordance with it. Let them take occasion to magnify the excellence of their divine Artist and eternal Craftsman. What artist is not indebted to Him? ‘Who gave to women the knowledge of weaving or the understanding of embroidery?’ However, I who am unable to comprehend the excellence of His majesty and His art do not entrust myself to theoretical weights and measures. Rather, I believe that all things depend on His will, which is the foundation of the universe and because of which the world endures up to the present” (St.Ambrose, "Hexameron" The Fathers Of The Church series translated by John J. Savage, pp.22-23).

So the immovable earth is an expression that means how the earth, which is suspended in space over nothing, will not fall or drift away from the laws God ordained for it; that the earth maintains its position in the solar system without corruption, as the laws ordained are fixed laws and will not change.

Origen (185-254 A.D.)

Origen is a Ante-Nicene church father who wrote On First Principles, which is the very first book on Theology ever written by a Christian. The following quotation is taken from the John C. Cavadini edition.

“Certainly what some say of this world, that it is corruptible because it was made, and yet does not go to corruption because the will of God, who made it and preserves it from being mastered by corruption, is stronger and more powerful than corruption, may more rightly be believed of that world which we have above called a “fixed” sphere, because by the will of God it is in no way “subject to corruption” (cf.Rom 8:20, 21), for the reason that it has not admitted the causes of corruption."

Notice how Origen calls this earth a "fixed sphere" which means the laws ordained by God for this earth will not go into corruption. When God created this earth and all that there is therein, He called it "very good" which means God did not create this earth to fall down from its position in the solar system or float away into space etc. That is what the immovable earth verses mean.

"The Lord reigneth; let the people tremble: he sitteth between the cherubims; let the earth be moved" (Ps.99:1).
47102749_596038980851334_6062214843585265664_n.jpg

50781420_10213670155972834_6513380958798872576_o.jpg

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
My goal here is simple: To prove that 2000+ years of Christianity have read globe earth from the Bible. I do not need to answer atheists as they reject all sound answers. Christianity is the fulfillment of OT prophecies and the movement first began as a Jewish movement in Judea 2000 years ago. Those Jewish Apostles of Christ chose successors to leader the church after they were gone. The Apostles did not fail in making wise selections. From Clement of Rome (Philippians 4:3) up to the present now all we find is globe earth readings from the Bible. All this flat earth propaganda is a lying attack on the Christian faith. This is proven by all the reputable works we have in the modern era as well as the more reliable ancient works.
All that may mean is that the Bible is susceptible to either interpretation, and it is not a matter of essential Christian doctrine in any case. You think the Bible "teaches" a spherical Earth. Flat-Earthers evidently think it "teaches" a flat Earth. I think the flat-Earthers are wrong about the shape of the Earth, but not because of anything it says in the Bible. I think you are both wrong in supposing that the Bible "teaches" anything at all about the shape of the Earth.

You still have not explained why you think it's important to you to prove that the Bible "teaches" a spherical Earth.

Upvote 0

FEZZILLA

Jun 24, 2003
Wisconsin
✟16,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Joshua 10: 12-14,

Ҧ Then spake Joshua to the Lord, in the day when the Lord gave the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stay thou in Gibeon, and thou Moon, in the valley of Aijalon.
And the Sun abode, and the moon stood still, until the people avenged themselves upon their enemies: (is not this written in the book of Jasher?) so the Sun abode in the midst of the heaven, and hasted not to go down for a whole day. And there was no day like that before it, nor after it, that the Lord heard the voice of a man: for the Lord fought for Israel" (Joshua 10: 1-13, 1599 Geneva Bible).

This passage has been used since the Galileo incident to prove how the sun moves around the earth....around the sphere of the earth, that is. The prophecy, coming from a lost Book of the Bible, presumably lost in one of the burning libraries of history, is hard to examine because it no longer exist. All that remains of Jasher is what is quoted in the Bible, and the $25.00 forgery you can buy which contains the same account cited in Joshua 10 which proves its a modern forgery, probably a Mormon forgery. The prophecy, however, is about a long day, twice the natural length. This prophecy fulfills here in Joshua 10 and there is ample historical proofs from various ancient nations from the time of Joshua which either speak of such a day, or, as in countries like Mexico etc, speak about a long night twice the natural length. The sun that stops is only from the human perception. There are many who say that the sun stopping is an expression, and this may indeed be true about the passage. But even in the event this sun which stops in the middle of the sky is to be taken literally, as I believe is most likely to be the case here, it is not God telling Moses (presumably the author of Jasher) that the sun moves or stops, but comes from the perspective of Moses or whoever wrote the Book of Jasher. Again, the prophecy is about a day twice the natural length which was a miracle and one that God made happen. How exactly God made this happen is unknown. Perhaps God had slowed down the earth’s rotation or even froze time somehow. This cannot be explained in strict terms of modern science since this miracle is one done by God.

Then the question still lingers on what exactly what written in Jasher? But putting questions we can't answer aside, some flat earthers say verse 12 is saying God told Joshua the sun circles the earth:

"Then spake Joshua to the Lord, in the day when the Lord gave the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stay thou in Gibeon, and thou Moon, in the valley of Aijalon."

There is nothing in this verse saying God told Joshua anything about astronomy here. Joshua's faith and obedience was not measured by his knowledge of astronomy. By faith, Joshua called the LORD to join him and the Israelites in battle against their enemies. God wasn't concerned about Joshua's knowledge of astronomy. If a vast knowledge of astronomy was needed for God to interact with ancient man then God probably would have destroyed the world!

Lastly, It was God Who performed the miracle at Joshua's command. Did Joshua believe the sun circled the earth? He probably did believe that. But, not being a Divine Bully, God did not hold Joshua's lack of astronomical knowledge against him. So there is nothing wrong with the passage.

Psalm 19:4-6

“Their line is gone forth through all the earth, and their words into the ends of the world: in them hath he set a tabernacle for the Sun. Which cometh forth as a bridegroom out of his chamber, and rejoiceth like a mighty man to run his race. His going out is from the end of the heaven, and his compass is unto the ends of the same, and none is hid from the heat thereof” (Psalm 19:4-6, 1599 Geneva Bible).

This particular passage carries significant spiritual meaning. Now, to be reasonably fair to the passage, it is not clear if this passage is even dealing with the sun literally moving. In fact, the expression “he set a tabernacle for the Sun” seems to indicate the sun is stationary. However, if taken literally, this stationary sun goes from stationary to mobile when it is compared to a mighty man running his race. But this can also be a figurative attempt to convey the sun rising and setting, as a psalm is a poem and poems often carry figurative language. This passage is also most likely in connection to ‘The Sun of Righteousness’ in Malachi 4:2, which means the light of Christ will be as the Sun shining in on the darkness of the world with healing in its wings. This light of Christ, figuratively compared to the sun in verses 4-6, shall go through the whole earth with the message that brings light, healing and justice to the inhabitants of the earth. Thus Psalm 19:4 is cited by the Apostle Paul in connection to spreading the word of the Gospel:

“But I say, have they not heard? Yes, indeed:

“Their voice went into all the earth,
and their words to the ends of the world” (Rom.10:18, MEV).

When David speaks of the tabernacle for the sun, this is to be understood as the dayspring (KJV) of Job 38:12. In Job 38:12-15, the morning light exposes the wickedness of those who walk in darkness. But in Psalm 19:5-6, the rays of the sun make their way throughout the whole earth, coming with healing to the righteous (Malachi 4:2; Luke 1:78-79) and condemnation for the wicked (Job 38:15; Malachi 4:1). All this is a figurative language which is there to convey a deep spiritual meaning. The sun represents the light of Truth which comes from the Son who is Jesus Christ. This is why Paul cites from Psalm 19:4 when addressing his fellow Jews. The dayspring (Job 38:12) and the tabernacle for the sun (Psalm 19:4) view the sun as stationary, according to the natural laws ordained for it if we are to interpret this literally.

So the psalm should not be taken in a literal, carnal manner, but interpreted from a strict spiritual perspective. Comparing the light of Christ to the brightness of the sun would be the best way, from the human perspective, to describe the awesome power of God’s justice and salvation, as well as the burning heat against the wicked who refused God’s free gift of eternal salvation.

*Note: My apology for the use of the Geneva Bible. When I originally wrote this article I was also studying the Geneva Bible. Its the worst translation of the 16th century but accurate in the passages I quoted which is why I never switched them out.

Ironically, Psalm 19:4 uses H8398 תֵּבֵל têbêl and translates to orbis in Latin.

Latin Vulgate: "in omnem terram exivit sonus eorum et in fines orbis terrae verba eorum."

✅Word: Orbis, from H8398 תֵּבֵל têbêl

English Definition
Orb definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary

Latin Definition
https://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/t...a13uTme-VYoSr5hVcEV8ychRW5L9ZNZ6ejNBx45bLmopg

English: "Their line went forth into all the earth, and their words into the ends of the habitable globe. In them he set a tent for the sun" (H8398: תֵּבֵל têbêl - 1876 Julia E. Smith Bible).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FEZZILLA

Jun 24, 2003
Wisconsin
✟16,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
All that may mean is that the Bible is susceptible to either interpretation, and it is not a matter of essential Christian doctrine in any case. You think the Bible "teaches" a spherical Earth. Flat-Earthers evidently think it "teaches" a flat Earth. I think the flat-Earthers are wrong about the shape of the Earth, but not because of anything it says in the Bible. I think you are both wrong in supposing that the Bible "teaches" anything at all about the shape of the Earth.

You still have not explained why you think it's important to you to prove that the Bible "teaches" a spherical Earth.
It is absolutely proven the Bible teaches globe earth. We know this because of 2000+ years of globe earth readings from Scripture as well as our more reputable modern scholarship. So there is no case to be made for a flat earth interpretation.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
It is absolutely proven the Bible teaches globe earth. We know this because of 2000+ years of globe earth readings from Scripture as well as our more reputable modern scholarship. So there is no case to be made for a flat earth interpretation.
So what? You still haven't answered my question.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Does the Bible Teach a Stationary Earth That Never Moves?

One of the more favorite arguments from flat earthers are verses which say how the earth shall not be moved. This expression in modern English carries the opposite meaning that it originally meant in Hebrew. So in order to understand this ancient expression it is necessary to seek out an ancient scholar to define what it means.

How Do We Properly Interpret verses that say how the earth shall not be moved? St.Ambrose, a prominent 4th century church father, explains what those passages mean:

“How the disposition of the earth therefore depends upon the power of God, you may learn also where it is written: ‘He looketh upon the earth and maketh it tremble,’ and elsewhere: ‘One again I move the earth.’ Therefore, the earth remains immovable not by its balances, but is moved frequently by the nod and free will of God, as Job, too, says: ‘The Lord shaketh it from its foundations, and the pillars thereof tremble.’ And elsewhere: ‘Hell is naked before him and there is no covering for death. He stretched out the north over the empty space and hangeth the earth upon nothing. He bindeth up the waters in his clouds. The pillars of heaven fled away and are in dread at his rebuke. By his power the seas are calmed, by his wisdom is struck down the sea-monster, and the gates of heaven fear him.’
By the will of God, therefore, the earth remains immovable. ‘The earth standeth for ever,’ according to Ecclesiastes, yet is moved and nods according to the will of God. It does not therefore continue to exist because based on its own foundation. It does not stay stable because based on its own props. The Lord established it by the support of His will, because ‘in his hand are all the ends of the earth.’ The simplicity of this faith is worth all the proffered proofs.
Let others hold approvingly that the earth never will fall, because it keeps its position in the midst of the world in accordance with nature. They maintain that it is from necessity that the earth remains in its place and is not inclined in another direction, as long as it does not move contrary to nature but in accordance with it. Let them take occasion to magnify the excellence of their divine Artist and eternal Craftsman. What artist is not indebted to Him? ‘Who gave to women the knowledge of weaving or the understanding of embroidery?’ However, I who am unable to comprehend the excellence of His majesty and His art do not entrust myself to theoretical weights and measures. Rather, I believe that all things depend on His will, which is the foundation of the universe and because of which the world endures up to the present” (St.Ambrose, "Hexameron" The Fathers Of The Church series translated by John J. Savage, pp.22-23).

So the immovable earth is an expression that means how the earth, which is suspended in space over nothing, will not fall or drift away from the laws God ordained for it; that the earth maintains its position in the solar system without corruption, as the laws ordained are fixed laws and will not change.

Origen (185-254 A.D.)

Origen is a Ante-Nicene church father who wrote On First Principles, which is the very first book on Theology ever written by a Christian. The following quotation is taken from the John C. Cavadini edition.

“Certainly what some say of this world, that it is corruptible because it was made, and yet does not go to corruption because the will of God, who made it and preserves it from being mastered by corruption, is stronger and more powerful than corruption, may more rightly be believed of that world which we have above called a “fixed” sphere, because by the will of God it is in no way “subject to corruption” (cf.Rom 8:20, 21), for the reason that it has not admitted the causes of corruption."

Notice how Origen calls this earth a "fixed sphere" which means the laws ordained by God for this earth will not go into corruption. When God created this earth and all that there is therein, He called it "very good" which means God did not create this earth to fall down from its position in the solar system or float away into space etc. That is what the immovable earth verses mean.

"The Lord reigneth; let the people tremble: he sitteth between the cherubims; let the earth be moved" (Ps.99:1).
View attachment 250069
View attachment 250070

I thought this was just about what the Bible verses say. why are you posting manipulated images from nasa

• Haha
Upvote 0

FEZZILLA

Jun 24, 2003
Wisconsin
✟16,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I thought this was just about what the Bible verses say. why are you posting manipulated images from nasa

Those are for people with clear thinking minds that have not corrupted themselves by drinking the maddening wine of conspiracy theory.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Joshua 10: 12-14,

Ҧ Then spake Joshua to the Lord, in the day when the Lord gave the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stay thou in Gibeon, and thou Moon, in the valley of Aijalon.
And the Sun abode, and the moon stood still, until the people avenged themselves upon their enemies: (is not this written in the book of Jasher?) so the Sun abode in the midst of the heaven, and hasted not to go down for a whole day. And there was no day like that before it, nor after it, that the Lord heard the voice of a man: for the Lord fought for Israel" (Joshua 10: 1-13, 1599 Geneva Bible).

This passage has been used since the Galileo incident to prove how the sun moves around the earth....around the sphere of the earth, that is. The prophecy, coming from a lost Book of the Bible, presumably lost in one of the burning libraries of history, is hard to examine because it no longer exist. All that remains of Jasher is what is quoted in the Bible, and the $25.00 forgery you can buy which contains the same account cited in Joshua 10 which proves its a modern forgery, probably a Mormon forgery. The prophecy, however, is about a long day, twice the natural length. This prophecy fulfills here in Joshua 10 and there is ample historical proofs from various ancient nations from the time of Joshua which either speak of such a day, or, as in countries like Mexico etc, speak about a long night twice the natural length. The sun that stops is only from the human perception. There are many who say that the sun stopping is an expression, and this may indeed be true about the passage. But even in the event this sun which stops in the middle of the sky is to be taken literally, as I believe is most likely to be the case here, it is not God telling Moses (presumably the author of Jasher) that the sun moves or stops, but comes from the perspective of Moses or whoever wrote the Book of Jasher. Again, the prophecy is about a day twice the natural length which was a miracle and one that God made happen. How exactly God made this happen is unknown. Perhaps God had slowed down the earth’s rotation or even froze time somehow. This cannot be explained in strict terms of modern science since this miracle is one done by God.

Then the question still lingers on what exactly what written in Jasher? But putting questions we can't answer aside, some flat earthers say verse 12 is saying God told Joshua the sun circles the earth:

"Then spake Joshua to the Lord, in the day when the Lord gave the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stay thou in Gibeon, and thou Moon, in the valley of Aijalon."

There is nothing in this verse saying God told Joshua anything about astronomy here. Joshua's faith and obedience was not measured by his knowledge of astronomy. By faith, Joshua called the LORD to join him and the Israelites in battle against their enemies. God wasn't concerned about Joshua's knowledge of astronomy. If a vast knowledge of astronomy was needed for God to interact with ancient man then God probably would have destroyed the world!

Lastly, It was God Who performed the miracle at Joshua's command. Did Joshua believe the sun circled the earth? He probably did believe that. But, not being a Divine Bully, God did not hold Joshua's lack of astronomical knowledge against him. So there is nothing wrong with the passage.

Psalm 19:4-6

“Their line is gone forth through all the earth, and their words into the ends of the world: in them hath he set a tabernacle for the Sun. Which cometh forth as a bridegroom out of his chamber, and rejoiceth like a mighty man to run his race. His going out is from the end of the heaven, and his compass is unto the ends of the same, and none is hid from the heat thereof” (Psalm 19:4-6, 1599 Geneva Bible).

This particular passage carries significant spiritual meaning. Now, to be reasonably fair to the passage, it is not clear if this passage is even dealing with the sun literally moving. In fact, the expression “he set a tabernacle for the Sun” seems to indicate the sun is stationary. However, if taken literally, this stationary sun goes from stationary to mobile when it is compared to a mighty man running his race. But this can also be a figurative attempt to convey the sun rising and setting, as a psalm is a poem and poems often carry figurative language. This passage is also most likely in connection to ‘The Sun of Righteousness’ in Malachi 4:2, which means the light of Christ will be as the Sun shining in on the darkness of the world with healing in its wings. This light of Christ, figuratively compared to the sun in verses 4-6, shall go through the whole earth with the message that brings light, healing and justice to the inhabitants of the earth. Thus Psalm 19:4 is cited by the Apostle Paul in connection to spreading the word of the Gospel:

“But I say, have they not heard? Yes, indeed:

“Their voice went into all the earth,
and their words to the ends of the world” (Rom.10:18, MEV).

When David speaks of the tabernacle for the sun, this is to be understood as the dayspring (KJV) of Job 38:12. In Job 38:12-15, the morning light exposes the wickedness of those who walk in darkness. But in Psalm 19:5-6, the rays of the sun make their way throughout the whole earth, coming with healing to the righteous (Malachi 4:2; Luke 1:78-79) and condemnation for the wicked (Job 38:15; Malachi 4:1). All this is a figurative language which is there to convey a deep spiritual meaning. The sun represents the light of Truth which comes from the Son who is Jesus Christ. This is why Paul cites from Psalm 19:4 when addressing his fellow Jews. The dayspring (Job 38:12) and the tabernacle for the sun (Psalm 19:4) view the sun as stationary, according to the natural laws ordained for it if we are to interpret this literally.

So the psalm should not be taken in a literal, carnal manner, but interpreted from a strict spiritual perspective. Comparing the light of Christ to the brightness of the sun would be the best way, from the human perspective, to describe the awesome power of God’s justice and salvation, as well as the burning heat against the wicked who refused God’s free gift of eternal salvation.

*Note: My apology for the use of the Geneva Bible. When I originally wrote this article I was also studying the Geneva Bible. Its the worst translation of the 16th century but accurate in the passages I quoted which is why I never switched them out.

Ironically, Psalm 19:4 uses H8398 תֵּבֵל têbêl and translates to orbis in Latin.

Latin Vulgate: "in omnem terram exivit sonus eorum et in fines orbis terrae verba eorum."

✅Word: Orbis, from H8398 תֵּבֵל têbêl

English Definition
Orb definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary

Latin Definition
https://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/t...a13uTme-VYoSr5hVcEV8ychRW5L9ZNZ6ejNBx45bLmopg

English: "Their line went forth into all the earth, and their words into the ends of the habitable globe. In them he set a tent for the sun" (H8398: תֵּבֵל têbêl - 1876 Julia E. Smith Bible).

This is just pure balderdash and you are like Mr Morris, a person who does not accept the literal account of the Bible when the words do not line up with your belief in a globe earth

• Agree
Upvote 0