Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So now all one can do is study all physical and repeatable claims from the Bible, to see if these at least stack up in reality. And sure enough, some don't....
Because the dead don’t rise?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I notice that you did not answer my question. Again: Do you have any evidence that the words in the book of Matthew were written by a credible witness? I take note that you did not answer.
I took note you have no evidence Matthew was not a credible witness.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are a lot of NT historians, that play fast and loose with the historical method, when it comes to the NT, no question.

When it comes to miracles, an honest historian will say; the historical method wont touch claimed miracles. Why? Because the historical method, is designed to find the most likely explanation. By nature, a miracle is the least likely explanation for any claims by humans.
Of course and why rising from the dead was such a huge deal. An entire church began because of this huge deal.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are records acknowledged as fallible? no
Are records first hand accounts? no
Are events independently corroborated? no
Are events plausible under laws of physics? no

Are records verified by concrete relics? no
Have records been reliably preserved? no
Are records preserved in their native language? no
Are the records politically and socially unbiased? no
I already offered to you what completely defeats Your assertions. That from the very beginning there has been a church which continued unbroken to this time.

Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I took note you have no evidence Matthew was not a credible witness.
I also take note that you have not told us why the words in the book of Matthew should be considered as being written by a credible witness.

• Agree
Reactions: bhsmte
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Of course and why rising from the dead was such a huge deal. An entire church began because of this huge deal.

It is a huge deal if you buy the story. If you dont, it becomes just one of thousands of religious claims, manufactured by humans.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is a huge deal if you buy the story. If you dont, it becomes just one of thousands of religious claims, manufactured by humans.
And that's your choice according your nature to determine.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My nature, is to follow evidence, that is objective and can be verified.
Then follow the evidence instead of impeaching it. Look I'm not the type to throw a Bible in front of someone and demand they read it. But if one is going to make assertions and theories about the writings themselves they should be studying them and not piecemeal.

The flawed argument I see here is "People don't rise from the dead, so the Bible is wrong." Then when someone shows the Scriptures do provide evidence of people rising from the dead bodily the evidence is impeached.

The Irish twins have it down pat:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I also take note that you have not told us why the words in the book of Matthew should be considered as being written by a credible witness.
That's because since the beginning of the church no one doubted the authorship and apostolic nature of the Gospel of Matthew. Again, Matthew nor the Bible just fell out of the sky in the 19th century.

• Agree
Reactions: mark kennedy
Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That's because since the beginning of the church no one doubted the authorship and apostolic nature of the Gospel of Matthew.
No, it is not true that no one has ever doubted the apostolic nature of the Gospel of Matthew. I doubt it.

So there. Some people doubt it.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Then follow the evidence instead of impeaching it. Look I'm not the type to throw a Bible in front of someone and demand they read it. But if one is going to make assertions and theories about the writings themselves they should be studying them and not piecemeal.

The flawed argument I see here is "People don't rise from the dead, so the Bible is wrong." Then when someone shows the Scriptures do provide evidence of people rising from the dead bodily the evidence is impeached.

The Irish twins have it down pat:

LOL

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, it is not true that no one has ever doubted the apostolic nature of the Gospel of Matthew. I doubt it.

So there. Some people doubt it.
Who doubted it in the early centuries?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Who doubted it in the early centuries?
Skeptics doubted it .I don't have all their names.

But that is immaterial. I have posted a long list of reasons not to trust the book and you simply ignored my post.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Skeptics doubted it
Who?

I don't have all their names.
Obviously not Polycarp, Ignatius, Irenaeus and Tertullian among the hundreds of early church theologians. Especially the very early ones who knew the apostles and quoted their works. The unbroken chain of the church.

But that is immaterial.
Actually that is front and center. You failed to consider the historic scholarship and did exactly what 19th century skeptics did....figured you knew better than the people closest to the material and then dismiss their scholarship.

I have posted a long list of reasons not to trust the book and you simply ignored my post.
No sir, I responded to the post you linked. It was conjecture and what I would expect from someone who disregards the historical scholarship.

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It's often assumed that the gospel writers could not have been conveying actual history because they were people who believed in Jesus.

Often? More like never. I've NEVER seen that statement.

The idea is that whatever in the Gospels corresponds to Christian faith cannot be historically trustworthy.

No.

Literary analysis shows that Mark is the first gospel, and archaeological analysis shows that that the post-mortem appearances of Jesus in Mark were a later forgery. Matthew and Luke later lifted from Mark, but presumably from an early version without the forged ending.

Basically, when Matthew and Luke agree, it's because they're both lifting from Mark. When they disagree, they're discussing material not present in Mark. In other words, they're adding embellishments.

The resurrection narrative is such an embellishment.

But why couldn't the opposite be true? Why couldn't it be that only faith could really appreciate and adequately report what happened in the Jesus of history?

Because faith is not a prerequisite for using one's eyeballs and writing things down. Is this even a serious question? It's like you're saying I have to believe in aliens before I can film a UFO.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It's often assumed that the gospel writers could not have been conveying actual history because they were people who believed in Jesus. The idea is that whatever in the Gospels corresponds to Christian faith cannot be historically trustworthy. But why couldn't the opposite be true? Why couldn't it be that only faith could really appreciate and adequately report what happened in the Jesus of history?
The Scriptures in the Old and New Testaments, are a living witness since they have been in the custody of living communities their entire history, the Hebrew and Christian communities respectively. These scrolls were read regularly in public assemblies throughout church history and the New Testament was prolifically and meticulously copied, now with some 30,000 scrolls extant. They are by far the best preserved documents from antiquity, there is no close second. Starting in 144 AD questions were raised regarding the canon of Scripture and various Gnostic circulated claiming New Testament authority. The church opposed revisions and maintained the scrolls known to have apostolic authority. Matthew and Mark in particular have some of the oldest and best scrolls, some dating back to the first century. The church knew and does know their own sacred writings. Matthew being the mothership of bibliographical credibility, skeptics are woefully inadequate in their evidential arguments to the contrary.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Who? Obviously not Polycarp, Ignatius, Irenaeus and Tertullian among the hundreds of early church theologians. Especially the very early ones who knew the apostles and quoted their works. The unbroken chain of the church.
Oh dear. Polycarp and Ignatius in no way credit the words of the book of Matthew as being written by an eyewitness. Both Irenaeus and Tertullian are too late to be a reliable witness of who wrote the gospels.

Actually that is front and center. You failed to consider the historic scholarship and did exactly what 19th century skeptics did....figured you knew better than the people closest to the material and then dismiss their scholarship.
Huh? The ancients thought the sun went around the earth. Does that prove the sun goes around the earth?

The ancients were sometimes wrong, yes?

Upvote 0