The Helper and the Spirit-Any Difference?

newton3005

Jun 29, 2019
newburgh
✟115,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some of us lean toward the Bible speaking for itself. Problem is, the Bible has been presented over the years through a myriad of translations. Sometimes in the effort to translate, ambiguities are fostered. In the Bible, in its true form, there aren’t ambiguities, unless we can accuse God of being ambiguous. In our understanding, though, God is not ambiguous in what He wants. There is no ambiguity in His destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, for instance. So, it’s probable that any perceived ambiguities are the result of centuries of translations and revisions of the original Hebrew and Greek that the Bible was written in. Perhaps those who’ve been translating and revising have had people looking over their shoulders to see if to them such translations and revisions are accurate. But we, centuries later, are left with what might be seen in at least some parts of the Bible as the resulting proverbial sausage, akin to Bills that are revised in the U.S. Congress before being passed. And along with these revisions, the fallacies of grammar may have reared their ugly hydra-heads.

Submitted for your approval, John 14:26 and John 15:26. Jesus in John 14:26 says “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.” Is the Helper the Holy Spirit? And if so, doe that mean that those who hear these words from Jesus are to wait for this Spirit to enter them? What do they do in the meantime?

But is the Helper identified as the Holy Spirit in John 14:26? Jesus in John 15:26 says, “But when the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness about me.” Here, it seems there is the Helper and there is the Spirit of truth. Leads to another question: Is the Spirit of truth the same as the Holy Spirit mentioned in John 14:26? Well, if it is, it would lead one to believe that the Helper in John 14:26 is the same as the Holy Spirit, who is the same as the Spirit of Truth. And if it’s not, it’s hard to determine what the connection is between the two Verses.

But the Holy Spirit exists. It exists in those whose love and faith is in God. Could we have been born with the Holy Spirit? Acts 1:8 lends to the notion that the Holy Spirit comes to us when we are ready to receive it. It says that Jesus tells his apostles, who question him about things that are to come in previous Verses, “...you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” We can presume that these are grown men Jesus is talking to, not newborn babies.

What does the Pentecost play in this? After all, the Holy Spirit appears everywhere, not just in Jerusalem. The Pentecost is a celebration of the event of the Spirit’s appearing amidst the assembly of the apostles and other followers of Jesus in Jerusalem during the Festival of Weeks. It seems that in terms of the Holy Spirit, this day is no different from any other day; the Holy Spirit appears in people as it will, regardless of time and place.

godisagardener

Romans 10:6-9, Ephesians 2:8-10
Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟62,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Read John 14:15-18. The Father gave us a Helper - the Spirit of truth. Jesus could no longer be with the disciples, or with us, so He sent a Helper, who is the Spirit of truth. The Spirit of truth dwells within believers. The Holy Spirit is the Helper.

Upvote 0