✟26,712.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 13:24-40:
24 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field:

25 But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way.

26 But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also.

27 So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?

28 He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up?

29 But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.

30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

31 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is like to a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field:

32 Which indeed is the least of all seeds: but when it is grown, it is the greatest among herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the birds of the air come and lodge in the branches thereof.

33 Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.

34 All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them:

35 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.

36 Then Jesus sent the multitude away, and went into the house: and his disciples came unto him, saying, Declare unto us the parable of the tares of the field.

37 He answered and said unto them, He that soweth the good seed is the Son of man;

38 The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one;

39 The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels.

40 As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world.

What is this harvest? Is this the revealing of the Sons of God?

Romans 8:19:
For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God.

Or is this the rapture? Or both? Or none of them?

Thoughts please :) Be kind as we discuss. Don't try to provoke arguments, but feel free to share your honest views.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
24 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field:

25 But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way.

26 But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also.

27 So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?

28 He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up?

29 But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.

30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

31 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is like to a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field:

32 Which indeed is the least of all seeds: but when it is grown, it is the greatest among herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the birds of the air come and lodge in the branches thereof.

33 Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.

34 All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them:

35 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.

36 Then Jesus sent the multitude away, and went into the house: and his disciples came unto him, saying, Declare unto us the parable of the tares of the field.

37 He answered and said unto them, He that soweth the good seed is the Son of man;

38 The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one;

39 The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels.

40 As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world.

For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God.

Thoughts please :) Be kind as we discuss. Don't try to provoke arguments, but feel free to share your honest views.

The harvest is the day of judgement.

• Agree
Reactions: TedT
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Perhaps. I always liked this particular chapter from the Book of Wisdom.
It's not cannonical, but I believe pre-dates Christ by only about 50 years, and to me the first
chapter or 2 sounds pretty prophetic.

And then in Chapter 3, we have this:

1 The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God,a
and no torment shall touch them.
2 They seemed, in the view of the foolish, to be dead;
and their passing away was thought an affliction
3 and their going forth from us, utter destruction.
But they are in peace.b
4 For if to others, indeed, they seem punished,
yet is their hope full of immortality;
5 Chastised a little, they shall be greatly blessed,
because God tried them
and found them worthy of himself.c
6 As gold in the furnace, he proved them,
and as sacrificial offerings* he took them to himself.d
7 In the time of their judgment* they shall shine
and dart about as sparks through stubble;e

8 They shall judge nations and rule over peoples,
and the LORD shall be their King forever.f

Wisdom, CHAPTER 3 | USCCB

The image of the holy righteous running through stubble like sparks...
...Apparently sin is not only sinful.
I suspect for all spiritual intents and purposes, it's combustible.

Upvote 0

SongOnTheWind

May 7, 2021
Croydon
✟26,712.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps. I always liked this particular chapter from the Book of Wisdom.
It's not cannonical, but I believe pre-dates Christ by only about 50 years, and to me the first
chapter or 2 sounds pretty prophetic.

And then in Chapter 3, we have this:

1 The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God,a
and no torment shall touch them.
2 They seemed, in the view of the foolish, to be dead;
and their passing away was thought an affliction
3 and their going forth from us, utter destruction.
But they are in peace.b
4 For if to others, indeed, they seem punished,
yet is their hope full of immortality;
5 Chastised a little, they shall be greatly blessed,
because God tried them
and found them worthy of himself.c
6 As gold in the furnace, he proved them,
and as sacrificial offerings* he took them to himself.d
7 In the time of their judgment* they shall shine
and dart about as sparks through stubble;e

8 They shall judge nations and rule over peoples,
and the LORD shall be their King forever.f

Wisdom, CHAPTER 3 | USCCB

The image of the holy righteous running through stubble like sparks...
...Apparently sin is not only sinful.
I suspect for all spiritual intents and purposes, it's combustible.

It's an inspiring thing to imagine visually. We are told in God's Word to arise and shine for our light has come. There is something that God wants to reveal in His people. This would seem to fit with that intention.

So would you see this as an end-time occurence? For even now we are supposed to be salt and light, and to shine out as stars in this wicked generation as the Word of God commands. Surely we are always supposed to be set apart from this world, so what is this revealing of God's sons, and what is this harvest all about? Is it about the saved, or the unsaved? The disciples were commanded to be fishers of men. Are we their harvest, so to speak?

Upvote 0

Marilyn C

Pre-tribulation.
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2013
Victoria
✟597,687.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi SongOnTheWind,

The Body of Christ was NOT revealed before the Lord revealed it to the apostle Paul. The gospels are mainly about the people of Israel. Matthew reveals Christ as King, and thus His parables refer to Israel and the nations.

The interpretation is in the context. the field is the world, and the `sons of the kingdom,` are those in Israel & others who turn to God, while the `sons of the wicked one` are those in rebellion against God.

`The Son of Man will send out His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and those who practice lawlessness.` (Matt. 13: 38)

This matches Matt. 24: 31. the Son of Man....He will send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.`

The lawless ones - `as in the days of Noah....(they) did not know until the flood came and took them away, so also will be the coming of the Son of Man....one will be taken (in judgment) and the other left.` (Matt. 24: 37 - 40)

Marilyn.

Upvote 0

SongOnTheWind

May 7, 2021
Croydon
✟26,712.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi SongOnTheWind,

The Body of Christ was NOT revealed before the Lord revealed it to the apostle Paul. The gospels are mainly about the people of Israel. Matthew reveals Christ as King, and thus His parables refer to Israel and the nations.

The interpretation is in the context. the field is the world, and the `sons of the kingdom,` are those in Israel & others who turn to God, while the `sons of the wicked one` are those in rebellion against God.

`The Son of Man will send out His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and those who practice lawlessness.` (Matt. 13: 38)

This matches Matt. 24: 31. the Son of Man....He will send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.`

The lawless ones - `as in the days of Noah....(they) did not know until the flood came and took them away, so also will be the coming of the Son of Man....one will be taken (in judgment) and the other left.` (Matt. 24: 37 - 40)

Marilyn.
Not sure how this pertains to the discussion, but once there are believers, there is a body. Jesus washed Peter's feet so that he would have a part in Him. It was with the 12 at the last supper that He shared the first communion of His body with them. In John chapter 6 He preaches about His Body and our share in it, but it was so difficult to hear or bear that many of his followers left Him.

The Body of Christ may well certainly be the harvest at the end of the age, and I am sure Paul is a part of that too, as the dead in Christ shall rise first, so I could also see the harvest being the rapture of the Church. But other than that, Paul was just preaching what Christ had given him to preach, and was so zealous in it that he said that if anyone preaches another gospel they are accursed. I don't think he wanted credit for revelation of Christ's body, though all of Christ's early followers had a great deal to do with shaping it. Paul even warned of following men rather than God, like say, himself, or Apollo. He has about as much to do with the Body of Christ as the rest of the body of Christ. No need to elevate him in such a way, I'm sure if he were alive to say it, he'd disagree too.

But back to topic: your verses certainly fit the context, but it remains to be seen, or explored in this thread, exactly who the harvest is, or what event it will manifest as.

Looking forward to your replies :)

• Winner
Reactions: jeffweedaman
Upvote 0

Timtofly

Jun 29, 2020
Mount Morris
✟124,857.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The final harvest is the Trumpets and Thunders of Revelation. Christ along with the angels are on the earth and they bring the Trump of God with them. The firstfruits of the Millennium are the 144k disciples sealed by God to sow the seed during the Trumpets. The wheat is gathered during the Thunders. This final harvest will go on to rule and reign with Christ for the millennial Day of the Lord on earth.

This harvest is different than the harvest of the NT church. The first century disciples made disciples from a living harvest, who in turn kept the process going by making new disciples. The final harvest is gathered by the angels as the soul has to shed Adam's body as part of the harvest process. The fruit involves a resurrection to eternal life into a permanent incorruptible body.

The first century harvest was the spiritual birth by the Holy Spirit of the life of a physical believer. At the end of the physical life, the soul enters Paradise into a permanent incorruptible body. The final harvest is Jesus Christ separating the sheep from the goats, and the angels harvest one's soul either to eternal life or eternal damnation. Eternal life starts on earth with the Millennial reign of Christ. The rest of the dead, the goats and tares, lived not again until they stand before the GWT and cast into the Lake of Fire. Blessed are those who are in the first resurrection. The power of the Second Death cannot touch them. They will live on into the New earth.

Upvote 0

SongOnTheWind

May 7, 2021
Croydon
✟26,712.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's interesting because when we think about the parable of the sower, we often think of the unbeliever as the ground to sow the seed in. But it seems that we too as believers are part of that harvest, according to those who have responded to this thread. Looing forward to hearing more replies. What say ye? Are we fishers of men, or are we the harvest itself? Or both?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SongOnTheWind

May 7, 2021
Croydon
✟26,712.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The final harvest is the Trumpets and Thunders of Revelation. Christ along with the angels are on the earth and they bring the Trump of God with them. The firstfruits of the Millennium are the 144k disciples sealed by God to sow the seed during the Trumpets. The wheat is gathered during the Thunders. This final harvest will go on to rule and reign with Christ for the millennial Day of the Lord on earth.

This harvest is different than the harvest of the NT church. The first century disciples made disciples from a living harvest, who in turn kept the process going by making new disciples. The final harvest is gathered by the angels as the soul has to shed Adam's body as part of the harvest process. The fruit involves a resurrection to eternal life into a permanent incorruptible body.

The first century harvest was the spiritual birth by the Holy Spirit of the life of a physical believer. At the end of the physical life, the soul enters Paradise into a permanent incorruptible body. The final harvest is Jesus Christ separating the sheep from the goats, and the angels harvest one's soul either to eternal life or eternal damnation. Eternal life starts on earth with the Millennial reign of Christ. The rest of the dead, the goats and tares, lived not again until they stand before the GWT and cast into the Lake of Fire. Blessed are those who are in the first resurrection. The power of the Second Death cannot touch them. They will live on into the New earth.
So those who survive the second death are the harvest?

Now I am thinking about a thread discussing the second death, lol. I might just do that.

Upvote 0

jeffweedaman

Nov 22, 2020
PROSPECT
✟82,293.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's interesting because when we think about the parable of the sower, we often think of the unbeliever as the ground to sow the seed in. But it seems that we too as believers are part of that harvest, according to those who have responded to this thread. Looing forward to hearing more replies. What say ye? Are we fishers of men, or are we the harvest itself? Or both?

"The one who sows the good seed is the Son of Man,
38and the field is the world; and as for the good seed, these are the sons of the kingdom; and the tares are the sons of the evil one;
39and the enemy who sowed them is the devil, and the harvest is the end of the age; and the reapers are angels.
40"So just as the tares are gathered up and burned with fire, so shall it be at the end of the age.

So the harvest at the end of the age = the final judgment, once the Gospel has been preached to all peoples.

Matt 24
"This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all the nations, and then the end will come.

Matt 13
"So it will be at the end of the age; the angels will come forth and take out the wicked from among the righteous,
50 and will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Lk 3
His winnowing fork is in his hand to clean out his threshing floor and to gather the wheat into his storehouse, but the chaff he will burn up with inextinguishable fire.”

Upvote 0

Marilyn C

Pre-tribulation.
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2013
Victoria
✟597,687.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not sure how this pertains to the discussion, but once there are believers, there is a body. Jesus washed Peter's feet so that he would have a part in Him. It was with the 12 at the last supper that He shared the first communion of His body with them. In John chapter 6 He preaches about His Body and our share in it, but it was so difficult to hear or bear that many of his followers left Him.

The Body of Christ may well certainly be the harvest at the end of the age, and I am sure Paul is a part of that too, as the dead in Christ shall rise first, so I could also see the harvest being the rapture of the Church. But other than that, Paul was just preaching what Christ had given him to preach, and was so zealous in it that he said that if anyone preaches another gospel they are accursed. I don't think he wanted credit for revelation of Christ's body, though all of Christ's early followers had a great deal to do with shaping it. Paul even warned of following men rather than God, like say, himself, or Apollo. He has about as much to do with the Body of Christ as the rest of the body of Christ. No need to elevate him in such a way, I'm sure if he were alive to say it, he'd disagree too.

But back to topic: your verses certainly fit the context, but it remains to be seen, or explored in this thread, exactly who the harvest is, or what event it will manifest as.

Looking forward to your replies :)

Hi SongOnTheWind,

Thank you for seeing merit in my comments. And I can understand what you are saying about Paul, and that all in the Body have equal importance.

Now, to believe that we, the Body of Christ will be part of the harvest at the end of the age, reveals a misunderstanding of the purpose that the Lord has made His Body for in eternity, a misunderstanding of our inheritance.

Marilyn.

Upvote 0

Spiritual Jew

Amillennialist
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2020
MI
✟308,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Notice that Jesus explains the parable in verses 37-43 (you stopped quoting at verse 40, but the explanation continues until verse 43). At the end of the world/age, which is when Christ returns (Matt 24:3), Jesus will send out His angels and they will separate "the children of the kingdom" from "the children of the wicked one". Jesus said "whoever is not with me is against me" (Matt 12:30), so "the children of the kingdom" are those who are with Christ and belong to Him and "the children of the wicked one" are unbelievers who are against Christ and belong to the wicked one/devil.

This is a portrayal of the day of judgment, just like Matthew 25:31-46. All people will be gathered before the throne and separated into two groups. In the Matthew 13 parable, the two groups are figuratively called wheat and tares. In Matthew 25:31-46, they are called sheep and goats. No matter what you call them, we know that all people are in two groups: those who are with Christ and those who are against Christ (Matt 12:30).

Those who are with Christ (children of the kingdom) will inherit "eternal life" (Matt 25:46) in "the kingdom of their Father" (Matt 13:43) which is the kingdom prepared from the foundation of the world (Matt 25:34). Those who are against Christ (children of the wicked one) will be cast "into the blazing furnace where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth" (Matt 13:42) which is an "everlasting fire" (Matt 25:41), also known as "the lake of fire" (Rev 20:15).

Upvote 0

SongOnTheWind

May 7, 2021
Croydon
✟26,712.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi SongOnTheWind,

Thank you for seeing merit in my comments. And I can understand what you are saying about Paul, and that all in the Body have equal importance.

Now, to believe that we, the Body of Christ will be part of the harvest at the end of the age, reveals a misunderstanding of the purpose that the Lord has made His Body for in eternity, a misunderstanding of our inheritance.

Marilyn.

I see merit in all the posts that have responded to the thread, thus far :)

In light of your above response, how would you reply to other posts here that conclude that we, as the Body of Christ are the harvest that Matthew 13 speak of, and that the harvest referred to in this passage is actually speaking of the Judgement to come at the end of days?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

grafted branch

Site Supporter
Feb 21, 2019
Washington
✟260,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I think Leviticus 23 needs to be looked at when studying the harvest.

Leviticus 23:10-12 talks about the first fruits of the harvest and when they are waved before the Lord a he lamb without blemish is also offered. In Leviticus 23:22 it has the main harvest and they are instructed to not make clean riddance of the corners and not to gather any gleaning of the harvest as it is to be left for the poor and stranger.

We know from John 4:31-38 that the fields were white ready to harvest and that his disciples were sent to reap. It seems to me that Matthew 9:37-38 is Jesus telling his disciples that it currently was harvest time; and in Matthew 10:5-15 they are instructed not to go into the way of the Gentiles. So at that time the Disciples didn’t reap the Gentiles which I think is referring to the 4 corners in Leviticus 23:22.

You asked about Matthew 13:24-40 while the name of this thread is “The Harvest At The End Of The Age”. I think it’s possible that these verses are referring to events that have already taken place at the end of the first covenant age.

Upvote 0

Marilyn C

Pre-tribulation.
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2013
Victoria
✟597,687.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I see merit in all the posts that have responded to the thread, thus far :)

In light of your above response, how would you reply to other posts here that conclude that we, as the Body of Christ are the harvest that Matthew 13 speak of, and that the harvest referred to in this passage is actually speaking of the Judgement to come at the end of days?

Hi SongOnTheWind,

Thank you for asking. Now we know that Matthew was written about Christ the King. He came to His own first to confirm the promises made by God to them.

`Now I say that Jesus Christ has become a servant to the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made to the fathers.`(Rom. 15: 8)

And we also know that the revelation of the Body of Christ was given much later to the Apostle Paul.
Thus Matt. 13 is NOT about us, but for us to read and learn of God`s promises to Israel.

Marilyn.

Upvote 0

Timtofly

Jun 29, 2020
Mount Morris
✟124,857.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
We know from John 4:31-38 that the fields were white ready to harvest and that his disciples were sent to reap. It seems to me that Matthew 9:37-38 is Jesus telling his disciples that it currently was harvest time; and in Matthew 10:5-15 they are instructed not to go into the way of the Gentiles. So at that time the Disciples didn’t reap the Gentiles which I think is referring to the 4 corners in Leviticus 23:22.
The Gentiles were not the gleanings. You would be right in claiming two different "fields" or harvest. The first century harvest was the last of the Covenant from the OT. The firstfruits into Paradise. And only for the house of Israel still. Not that Gentiles could not be included, but the Gentiles is a whole new field that had not been reaped. The exception would be Nineveh at the time of Jonah. Jonah being of Israel had a really tough time accepting that harvest.

Probably about as rough as some today, who think Israel should not be redeemed. We have come full circle, even though many come up with interesting thoughts on what the Gentile harvest is.

Upvote 0

grafted branch

Site Supporter
Feb 21, 2019
Washington
✟260,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Gentiles were not the gleanings. You would be right in claiming two different "fields" or harvest. The first century harvest was the last of the Covenant from the OT. The firstfruits into Paradise. And only for the house of Israel still. Not that Gentiles could not be included, but the Gentiles is a whole new field that had not been reaped. The exception would be Nineveh at the time of Jonah. Jonah being of Israel had a really tough time accepting that harvest.

Probably about as rough as some today, who think Israel should not be redeemed. We have come full circle, even though many come up with interesting thoughts on what the Gentile harvest is.
If someone is a dispensationalist I would think that they see multiple harvests throughout time. Covenant theology one, maybe two harvests. How many harvests do you see?

Upvote 0

SongOnTheWind

May 7, 2021
Croydon
✟26,712.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think Leviticus 23 needs to be looked at when studying the harvest.

Leviticus 23:10-12 talks about the first fruits of the harvest and when they are waved before the Lord a he lamb without blemish is also offered. In Leviticus 23:22 it has the main harvest and they are instructed to not make clean riddance of the corners and not to gather any gleaning of the harvest as it is to be left for the poor and stranger.

You asked about Matthew 13:24-40 while the name of this thread is “The Harvest At The End Of The Age”. I think it’s possible that these verses are referring to events that have already taken place at the end of the first covenant age.
Intriguing! I never considered this, I will dig into these aspects, and try to piece things together, with the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Than you so much for your reply :)

Upvote 0