United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Over 17 years.
Great to see my mom. Hard to deal with her Islamification.
It feels good, but plenty of alarm and worry about the near future.
Oh , right. I forgot your mom follows Islam. I can imagine how hard that must be for you. But I'm glad you got to see her and come back home for a bit. Was it a bit of a culture shock when you got here?

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,470.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oh , right. I forgot your mom follows Islam. I can imagine how hard that must be for you. But I'm glad you got to see her and come back home for a bit. Was it a bit of a culture shock when you got here?
Yeah, there still is a little reverse culture shock when you come home after a very long absence. The first was being surrounded by American English voices. You really get used to being an oddball, even if you speak the other language in your adopted country well. Then the large number of restaurants and cafes and the large portions on the plates you order, things like that.

Reactions: Dorothea
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, there still is a little reverse culture shock when you come home after a very long absence. The first was being surrounded by American English voices. You really get used to being an oddball, even if you speak the other language in your adopted country well. Then the large number of restaurants and cafes and the large portions on the plates you order, things like that.

I remember the culture shock when I came back from Afghanistan, and that was just 9 months. can’t imagine after so many years.

Reactions: rusmeister
Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Understand both yours and Fr. Matt's experiences. When I was between 9 and 11, my dad was stationed at Rhein Main AB (the second year. We were off base the first year waiting to get on, living in Waldorf apartments) for 3 years. We had three TV channels and obviously did most everything on base, but sometimes we would go off for trips and for the Frankfurt Zoo. Even I had a culture shock when we returned to the US, moving to Illinois off base the first year and on base the two years after that. I'll never forget the shock of how dirty our country was/is, because Germany was (guessing and hoping it still is) extremely clean. No litter anywhere. Designated spots for dogs to do their business (patches of grass with a sign of a schnauzer -- we used to have schnauzers in my adult years lol). Anyway, it took a bit to get back used to living here, but it didn't take long at all. :)

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,470.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I remember the culture shock when I came back from Afghanistan, and that was just 9 months. can’t imagine after so many years.
It’s been the whole time you’ve known me here...

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Anyway, it took a bit to get back used to living here, but it didn't take long at all. :)

one of the first things I did when I came back from the mountains of Afghanistan, was I walked around outside in bare feet, just so I could feel grass between my toes.

it was awesome.

Reactions: Dorothea
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When we got back from Turkey recently my daughter was cringing telling me she knew we were back in the States since 8 out of 10 people were either obese and/or doubled dumb as a bag of rocks in the airport.

Each time Ive gone to Asia, the Middle East, or Europe, when I’ve returned home the people seem like Jabba the Hutt.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
one of the first things I did when I came back from the mountains of Afghanistan, was I walked around outside in bare feet, just so I could feel grass between my toes.

it was awesome.
Ah, nice. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Justin-H.S.

May 8, 2020
The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Greek Synod sends protest letter to Abp. Elpidophoros about “gay baptism”

CFD5E670-12EE-4DAE-9CCF-C43CBFB1538F.png

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I hate this kind of political speak. A clear consensus has already been reached. The possibility of a defrocked clergy being ordained by another jurisdiction is clearly condemned by the vast majority.
It has been happening in the USA/Canada for quite a while. Before the Jerusalem parishes were handed over to the EP in 2008, their American jurisdiction was mostly made up of such clergy who had problems with their bishops and did not want to face discipline. The semi-recently setup Georgian Diocese seems to slowly be taking on that role.

Ever since the establishment of the Assembly of Bishops that replaced SCOBA, however, that practice seemed to be declining. Unfortunately Elpidophoros does not care. I think his actions vis-a-vis Belya are just a part of the larger tit-for-tat between Constantinople and Moscow.

Upvote 0