Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The hierarchy’s ‘discernment’ around certain issues fell squarely on the wrong side of church teachings more times than it could be called a mistake. It’s more than likely intentional demoralization in the Soviet sense.

Since 2020...
-closed churches: fail
-canceled pascha: fail
-canceled Eucharist: fail
-canceled baptisms: fail
-canceled mysteries in general: fail
-multiple spoons: fail
-iconoclasm: fail
-masks: fail
-waiting list to attend church: fail
-supporting Ukrainian schizos: fail
-pushing vaccines: fail
-no religious exemptions: fail
-BLM support: fail
-pro-choice: fail

There’s probably more, but that’s all I could think of so far.
There was that comment from Archbishop Elp about the nonOrthodox spouse being allowed to partake of the Eucharist, but I don't remember what happened with that.

I agree there are troubling things that have been going on in our jurisdiction. But I think it can apply to all Church jurisdiction, and frankly all Christianity because of the simple fact that we are flawed, broken human beings in need of Christ's mercy and help.

• Agree
Reactions: rusmeister
Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Although, reading this thread reminds me of when my presbytera told me years ago that there would come a time when one of the Patriarchs/Church jurisdiction would fall away, and she said the prophecy had said it was the GOC. She's of Greek lineage, too.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If the grandmother, who I read was the instigator of all this, was interested in the spiritual well-being of all concerned, the baptism should have taken place in her home parish in the US, privately and quietly, by the parish priest, not the archbishop, after having a serious discussion with the "parents" and getting some assurance that someone out of that crowd of eight godparents (how many were Orthodox?) would give the kids any kind of Christian upbringing. (I think the "fathers" were from California; I don't know about the grandmother.)

except the only way to do that is to get the kids out of a home with two men who are sexually active with each other. there is no way a child can be raised in a Christian household, when the household is anti-Christian.

Upvote 0

Justin-H.S.

May 8, 2020
The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟432,491.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I’m visiting in the US for a few days. Took everything I had. Visiting my mom. Went by the Greek church near her home where she almost became Orthodox, before turning away because of the worldliness and focus on $ and Greek ethnicity more than the Gospel. I felt a desire to go in the with a whip and overturn tables, but of course, wouldn’t have.

Upvote 0

Johnny Ross

Jan 4, 2022
Richmond
✟19,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Wow, they must have been looking for me cuz my name is the same on twitter. I don't care, it is a badge of honor to be blocked by an Apostate. Blocked.PNG

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟134,199.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I’m visiting in the US for a few days. Took everything I had. Visiting my mom. Went by the Greek church near her home where she almost became Orthodox, before turning away because of the worldliness and focus on $ and Greek ethnicity more than the Gospel. I felt a desire to go in the with a whip and overturn tables, but of course, wouldn’t have.
Welcome back to the US! :wave:

I know that feeling all too well. I thank God that I became Orthodox in the OCA because frankly I'm not sure if I would have through any other jurisdiction. Admittedly, sometimes I can border on American chauvinism, but in hindsight I don't think I would have been able to tolerate the outright ethnophlytism in other jurisdictions. No jurisdiction nor ethnic group has the monopoly on Orthodoxy and we desperately need to get that through our collective stubborn skulls.

For the GOARCH, frankly, most of their problems can be traced to the so-called Archons that run their Archdiocese and Constantinople.

• Informative
Reactions: rusmeister
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How does it feel being back in the US after so long? How long has it been since you've been back "home"?

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟432,491.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How does it feel being back in the US after so long? How long has it been since you've been back "home"?
Over 17 years.
Great to see my mom. Hard to deal with her Islamification.
It feels good, but plenty of alarm and worry about the near future.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Where exactly are you, Rus?

Over 17 years.
Great to see my mom. Hard to deal with her Islamification.
It feels good, but plenty of alarm and worry about the near future.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,167,283.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I hate this kind of political speak. A clear consensus has already been reached. The possibility of a defrocked clergy being ordained by another jurisdiction is clearly condemned by the vast majority.

to be fair though, jurisdictions in the US have done it to each other. the difference is usually there is repentance involved.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,167,283.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
to be fair though, jurisdictions in the US have done it to each other. the difference is usually there is repentance involved.
Have there been cases where there was no repentance?

Upvote 0