Visit site
✟221,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“How Great Thou Art” is a Christian hymn that is so familiar to all of us. It is based on a Swedish traditional melody and a poem written by Carl Boberg (1859–1940). It was translated into German and then into Russian. It was translated into English from the Russian by English missionary Stuart K. Hine, who also added two original verses of his own. The inspiration for the hymn came about when Carl Boberg was caught in one of those thunderstorms that was so vicious and violent. And yet, he did not see the viciousness nor the violence, he saw the handiwork of God. And so, he sat down and wrote this poem as he observed the majesty and the grandeur of our Lord in the heavens. He began to write:

O Lord my God! When I in awesome wonder
Consider all the works Thy hand hath made.
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed.
Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee:
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!

The Majesty of God’s Creation

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
“How Great Thou Art” is a Christian hymn that is so familiar to all of us. It is based on a Swedish traditional melody and a poem written by Carl Boberg (1859–1940). It was translated into German and then into Russian. It was translated into English from the Russian by English missionary Stuart K. Hine, who also added two original verses of his own. The inspiration for the hymn came about when Carl Boberg was caught in one of those thunderstorms that was so vicious and violent. And yet, he did not see the viciousness nor the violence, he saw the handiwork of God. And so, he sat down and wrote this poem as he observed the majesty and the grandeur of our Lord in the heavens. He began to write:

O Lord my God! When I in awesome wonder
Consider all the works Thy hand hath made.
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed.
Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee:
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!

The Majesty of God’s Creation
Excellent.

I prefer most of all the verse which begins: 'And when I think of God His Son not sparing...' (etc.)

Upvote 0