UCF
✟9,439.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13

For those of you who believe in being saved by faith alone, why does St. Paul call love greater than faith? If faith is the only thing that saves us and love plays no role in it, why isnt faith the greatest of these?

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear polishbeast. Yes, the greatest is LOVE, and it can be understood by ALL. The 10 Commandments which God gave is, are all in the 2 Commandments which Jesus gave us. 1) LOVE God with all our hearts, all our souls, all our minds. God made us in His image, He loves us, and He wants us back with Him again, where we came from, our original home. How do we get there? By loving God and loving each other. What do we have to do? Repent, exchange our selfish and wilful character into loving God above all, and loving all others AS we love ourselves. That is not easy, but we have years to become better and better at it. We start by treating all we know, and all we meet, as we would like to be treated, with a smile, a helping hand, and listening, REALLY listening to what people say to us. We give what we can afford, only we ourselves know, what we have to share, and also: God knows. He will see if we try, or not try, to give time, helping hands, or anything else we can afford to share. The greatest of all is LOVE, and love has many outlets. I say this humbly and with love, polishbeast. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ. P.S. Jesus will always help and guide, we have to ask sincerely, He is the Way. And always we follow, Never run ahead.

Reactions: ToxicReboMan
Upvote 0

squint

Jul 23, 2007
Mountain Regions
✟20,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13

For those of you who believe in being saved by faith alone, why does St. Paul call love greater than faith? If faith is the only thing that saves us and love plays no role in it, why isnt faith the greatest of these?

Faith and Love are intimately linked. Faith is no mere mental consent issue of "I" think I love God, therefore I am saved by that faith.

Faith 'works' THROUGH Love, therefore LOVE IS the EXPRESSION of TRUE FAITH...there are no dividings between faith and love. IF anyone LOVES, the do according to the definition of 'working faith' do HAVE SAME

Galatians 5:6
For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

The expression of LOVE is the only scorecard/treasure kept in heaven as it pertains to the individual expressing therein and that measure is and will forever remain the measure of ETERNITY.

1 John 4:
7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.

Upvote 0

Blackknight

Servant of God
Jan 21, 2009
Jackson, MI
Visit site
✟10,999.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Without God's lover, there would be no salvation by faith.

John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that He sent them His only begotten Son..."

This is what today's homily was all about. Kind of funny isn't it?

John 3:16 begins with God and ends with eternal life.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

I was surprised to see the word Paul used in that verse used only 9 times in the Gospels, and only 1 time each in Matt and Luke.

I have always called the Gospel of John "the Gospel of Love" and it shows that word used 7 times in it.

The 2 times it is shown in Revelation is in Chapt 2 in the letters to the Assemblies. Interesting

#26 used 116 times in 106 verses. Used 9 times in Gospels. Matt [1], Luke [1], John [7]. 2 times in Revelation 2:4, 19

1 Corin 13:13 Yet now is remaining faith, hope, love/agaph <26>.
These the three greatest yet of these the love/agaph <26>.

Textus Rec.) 1 Corinthians 13:13 nuni de menei pistiV elpiV agaph ta tria tauta meizwn de toutwn h agaph

Strong's Number G26 matches the Greek &#7936;&#947;&#8049;&#960;&#951; (agap&#275;), which occurs 116 times in 106 verses in the Greek concordance of the KJV

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

wayseer

Jun 10, 2008
Maryborough, QLD, Australia
✟11,131.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Love is faith in action.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Faith in what? God?

That includes a lot of people on the earth. And I don't consider that a bad thing.
I personally know some Jews and Muslims that are some of the most loving people you will find and they also believe in God :)

Upvote 0

ToxicReboMan

Always Hungry for Truth
May 19, 2005
Texas
✟1,619.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I personally know some Jews and Muslims that are some of the most loving people you will find and they also believe in God :)

Very true. :thumbsup:

Or to go even further...Hindus believe in God. Sihk believe in God. Native Americans believe in God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums