Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This has been on my mind a great deal lately and so I thought I might ask all the atheists/unbelievers here a question. Many of you were believers at one time or another so most are aware of the Rapture and I was wondering if you find yourselves seeing millions of people gone from the earth what will you believe happened?

Reactions: cloudyday2

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They'll blame it on some ET event?
I know this is one scenario frequently voiced by believers as to what they will be told. I think that is very likely considering there has been a multitude of new "evidence" of sightings and such. However, I am really curious as to what the ones that are here that have been prior believers will think happened.

• Useful
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
This has been on my mind a great deal lately and so I thought I might ask all the atheists/unbelievers here a question. Many of you were believers at one time or another so most are aware of the Rapture and I was wondering if you find yourselves seeing millions of people gone from the earth what will you believe happened?

Can you clarify a bit first?

1. How would I know that millions of people were gone?
2. In what time frame?
3. Did any of these people become missing, right in front of my eyes?

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,156,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many of you were believers at one time or another...
Actually I used to ask people if they believed in God when I was young. People that were church attenders....

I did this for over 12 years at least, in various locations (we moved several times), and especially when we went visiting.

Some believed and would say so...but some wouldn't say that they did.... (they trusted me enough to reveal that they didn't believe).

So, you definitely cannot assume that because people were in a church they believed fully.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The key would be whether I would realize that the people who vanished were the genuine Christians. Being familiar with the rapture, I might suspect this as an explanation. Many ex-Christians have parents who continue to be genuine Christians, and they would direct personal evidence that would be hard to ignore.

The problem for me is that I think Christianity and Judaism as normally understood are not consistent with the historical evidence. Seeing evidence of the rapture would not change the fact that I would still see Christianity and Judaism as not consistent with the historical evidence.

However, I would probably start praying that God would help me understand what I need to believe and do in a world that seems suddenly like Alice in Wonderland.

Upvote 0

Rodan6

Site Supporter
Sep 11, 2016
Highland, CA
✟86,675.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Book of Revelations contains a curse upon those who would alter it's contents. This "curse", naturally, had no effect--and the original vision (and writing) of the Apostle John may never be found. What remains of his writing has been grossly distorted and promoted in various forms as predictions of imminent doomsday. The dates of the end have come and gone many times and will continue to come and go as long as there are those that long for an end to things. I'm sure the motives are varied. Some long for perceived "justice"--personal spiritual reward, and punishment for their perceived enemies. BUT the end is not coming anytime soon. Jesus promised to return and I'm confident that He will do so one day. But as He told us plainly while He was in the flesh, the time is not for us to know. I will make a guess. I observe that mankind has made some progress in the past 2000 years, but I would suggest that this progress is insufficient. This is important because I think it very unlikely that He would return to say the same message. I predict the time will be ripe when Jesus' revelation of a loving Father in heaven and brotherhood of man is widely embraced throughout the world. At that time, mankind will be ready and receptive to new revelations. Such a time seems likely hundreds of years away--and certainly, there is no guarantee that Jesus would choose to come even then. All that we can do now is speculate. But pining for the "rapture" serves no good purpose. It's difficult to see any good or meaningful teaching that comes from rapture doctrines.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I would quite possibly believe that the Rapture is real, and be a good deal more ready to believe the things that Rapture-believing Christians are telling us.

Or, to put it another way: I'd be quite happy to follow the evidence if it led to Christianity. A credible miracle would be just the kind of evidence I'd need.

Funny how one has never turned up.

• Winner
Reactions: Beck Beck
Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can you clarify a bit first?

1. How would I know that millions of people were gone?
2. In what time frame?
3. Did any of these people become missing, right in front of my eyes?
1. I think that would be obvious.
2. In a split second
3. Very possibly.

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually I used to ask people if they believed in God when I was young. People that were church attenders....

I did this for over 12 years at least, in various locations (we moved several times), and especially when we went visiting.

Some believed and would say so...but some wouldn't say that they did.... (they trusted me enough to reveal that they didn't believe).

So, you definitely cannot assume that because people were in a church they believed fully.
Sorry, I'm not clear what you mean here?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would quite possibly believe that the Rapture is real, and be a good deal more ready to believe the things that Rapture-believing Christians are telling us.

Or, to put it another way: I'd be quite happy to follow the evidence if it led to Christianity. A credible miracle would be just the kind of evidence I'd need.

Funny how one has never turned up.
So you believe that having technology that allows for two witnesses to be seen by the world, a way to track people which also will only allow buying and selling if a mark is taken is not surprising being foretold 2,000 years ago?

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Book of Revelations contains a curse upon those who would alter it's contents. This "curse", naturally, had no effect--and the original vision (and writing) of the Apostle John may never be found. What remains of his writing has been grossly distorted and promoted in various forms as predictions of imminent doomsday. The dates of the end have come and gone many times and will continue to come and go as long as there are those that long for an end to things. I'm sure the motives are varied. Some long for perceived "justice"--personal spiritual reward, and punishment for their perceived enemies. BUT the end is not coming anytime soon. Jesus promised to return and I'm confident that He will do so one day. But as He told us plainly while He was in the flesh, the time is not for us to know. I will make a guess. I observe that mankind has made some progress in the past 2000 years, but I would suggest that this progress is insufficient. This is important because I think it very unlikely that He would return to say the same message. I predict the time will be ripe when Jesus' revelation of a loving Father in heaven and brotherhood of man is widely embraced throughout the world. At that time, mankind will be ready and receptive to new revelations. Such a time seems likely hundreds of years away--and certainly, there is no guarantee that Jesus would choose to come even then. All that we can do now is speculate. But pining for the "rapture" serves no good purpose. It's difficult to see any good or meaningful teaching that comes from rapture doctrines.
What evidence do you have that supports the Scripture has been distorted and promoted in different forms?

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So you believe that having technology that allows for two witnesses to be seen by the world, a way to track people which also will only allow buying and selling if a mark is taken is not surprising being foretold 2,000 years ago?
No. Doesn't sound particularly surprising at all. The first just sounds like magic, the second not even that.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,156,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, I'm not clear what you mean here?
That most non believers didn't ever believe in miracles (fully: that the dead were raised and everything else). In contrast those that fully believed usually still do. Though the most key thing about faith continuing is Matthew 7:24-27

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟730,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Disclaimer: the "rapture" is a modern fringe belief that dates to around the 1820's; it has never been the teaching of historic, mainstream Christianity. Mainstream Christianity believes in Christ's return and the resurrection of the dead. But the idea that one day millions of Christians will suddenly vanish into thin air has never been Christian doctrine.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No. Doesn't sound particularly surprising at all. The first just sounds like magic, the second not even that.
Remember 2,000 years ago we didn't have the means for all people to be able to see the same thing relatively at the same time, nor a way to monitor buying and selling worldwide.

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That most non believers didn't ever believe in miracles (fully: that the dead were raised and everything else). In contrast those that fully believed usually still do. Though the most key thing about faith continuing is Matthew 7:24-27
Ok, and my question to you personally?

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Disclaimer: the "rapture" is a modern fringe belief that dates to around the 1820's; it has never been the teaching of historic, mainstream Christianity. Mainstream Christianity believes in Christ's return and the resurrection of the dead. But the idea that one day millions of Christians will suddenly vanish into thin air has never been Christian doctrine.

-CryptoLutheran
That is simply false. I guess the question should be asked of you as well then.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Remember 2,000 years ago we didn't have the means for all people to be able to see the same thing relatively at the same time, nor a way to monitor buying and selling worldwide.
No, but it's quite easy to imagine some kind of magic that can let you see things far off, or many things all at the same time. And there's nothing so remarkable about imagining a marketplace with strange rules that controlled how you could buy and sell.
I'm afraid that, as prophecies go, these are not particularly impressive.

Upvote 0