Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I find it odd that the Resurrected Christ should have had to instruct the (remaining) Disciples to “Now, make sure that you tell everyone in the world about me!”
One might think that once the “Spirit of Truth” that came forty days later, this message would’ve been imbued into the very souls of the eleven and Matthias, as well as all those baptized in the Holy Ghost.

Why’d are we told that Jesus said to spread the gospel?

Bad news travels fast but good news ain’t no slouch either.

• Informative
Reactions: cloudyday2

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I find it odd that the Resurrected Christ should have had to instruct the (remaining) Disciples to “Now, make sure that you tell everyone in the world about me!”
One might think that once the “Spirit of Truth” that came forty days later, this message would’ve been imbued into the very souls of the eleven and Matthias, as well as all those baptized in the Holy Ghost.

The nature of a rabbi/disciple relationship where the goal of a disciple would be to learn how to walk in obedience to the Mosaic Law from their rabbi by memorizing their teachings, by learning how to think and act like them and by essentially becoming an imitation of them so that when they were ready they would be equipped to go out and making their own disciples. We see this line of thought expressed in places like 1 Peter 2:21-22, where we are told to follow Christ's example, in John 2:6, where those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked, and in 1 Corinthians 11:1, where we are to be imitators of Paul as he was an imitator of Christ. Jesus began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand and the Mosaic Law was how his audience knew what sin is, so repenting from our disciples to it is an integral part of the Gospel of Christ, which he prophesied would be proclaimed to all nations (Matthew 24:12-14). Furthermore, Jesus set a sinless example for us to follow of how to walk in obedience to the Mosaic Law, so that is what he was commissioning his disciples to teach.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Jesus was not just talking to His followers at that time, He was talking to His followers at all future times.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That bit of Matthew 28 was added in later.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Because there have been and still are those who deny the need to do so.
Having Jesus say go and tell makes there view rather difficult.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,380.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I stumbled across a nice vegetable dip:
60ml blue cheese dressing
60ml ranch dressing and
10 ml sriracha

I tell everybody about it.
Pure umami with a nice little kick.

Beings that the gospel was ever so much more important, I would’ve thought that the disciples would’ve been doing this without Jesus needing to explicitly tell them to do so.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
60ml ranch dressing and
10 ml sriracha

Beings that the gospel was ever so much more important, I would’ve thought that the disciples would’ve been doing this without Jesus needing to explicitly tell them to do so.
Thanks for the dip. I understand why you would think that but you have to look at all the other things that the disciples failed to understand. Why were they so shocked to find out that Jesus was not in the tomb, He told them several times He would rise from the dead. They just did not seem to catch on to the obvious, so having to tell them to do their job is not such a surprise taken in context.

Upvote 0

Redac

Jul 16, 2007
California
✟167,609.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
60ml ranch dressing and
10 ml sriracha

So, what, you're wondering why people might need to be explicitly told to do something, even if they might already know it would be a good thing to do? Especially when those people are full of fear about the repercussions for doing so?

Come on now.

Reactions: Lion IRC
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,380.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks for the dip. I understand why you would think that but you have to look at all the other things that the disciples failed to understand. Why were they so shocked to find out that Jesus was not in the tomb, He told them several times He would rise from the dead. They just did not seem to catch on to the obvious, so having to tell them to do their job is not such a surprise taken in context.
If I had been a disciple, I wouldn’t have believed Jesus either, after all it hadn’t happened yet, (a prophet rising from the dead, (oh sure they rose other folk but either died or were “translated” (Enoch), but until the resurrection some thought Jesus a reincarnation of Moishe)).
Maybe Jesus had a twin?
(Nah, just joshing, that’d require a whole reworking of the faith and that ain’t happening any time soon!)

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,380.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
So, what, you're wondering why people might need to be explicitly told to do something, even if they might already know it would be a good thing to do? Especially when those people are full of fear about the repercussions for doing so?

Come on now.
True this was ante-pentecost.
A rousing pep talk before the Forty Day Delay before the Holy Ghost could imbue the disciples with this commission in their hearts would’ve been a good idea.

Hey, they don’t all have to be winners!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If I had been a disciple, I wouldn’t have believed Jesus either, after all it hadn’t happened yet, (a prophet rising from the dead, (oh sure they rose other folk but either died or were “translated” (Enoch), but until the resurrection some thought Jesus a reincarnation of Moishe)).
Maybe Jesus had a twin?
(Nah, just joshing, that’d require a whole reworking of the faith and that ain’t happening any time soon!)
Seem that they knew who He was and they knew He had power over death, they saw Him bring the dead back to life several times. Luke 9:19They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, that a prophet of old has arisen.” 20“But what about you?” Jesus asked. “Who do you say I am?” Peter answered, “The Christ of God.”

Upvote 0