• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Great Advent: A Story in Need of Perspective

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Hamlet7768, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 World's Second-Worst Polemicist

+41
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Others
    Hi all,

I don't post on here too much. I mostly lurk and try not to get into debates I'll regret later on. But this time I have something to share! I'm working on a new story, set in a near-future United States, heavily inspired by Robert Hugh Benson's Lord of the World. The story is working-titled The Great Advent. Brief premise:

In a world where the blacklist reigns supreme, community exists only within separated factions. In the cracks between these hyper-polarized groups is the Church, attempting to soothe these divisions, only to incur anger from both sides.

Let me break this down a bit. The United States, on paper, is still the United States. However, there are different factions that hold a kind of popular power in local areas. Your faction is your home and your guardian. Every faction has a blacklist of stories deemed hostile to the faction's interests. Nobody from the faction will go to that store, or even associate with someone who goes to that store. Ostracism is the name of the game here.

In contrast, the Church has reached closer unity. In the landmark Third Vatican Council, the majority of Catholic and Orthodox Churches have merged, rites intact, into the "Greater Christian Church," organized under twelve equal Cardinal Sees. Our protagonist, Edwin Morley, is a transitional deacon of the GCC, Latin Rite. Explaining the parts of the plot isn't necessarily important. Suffice to say it's apocalyptic in tone, while not actually going up to the End of Days.

What I'm most interested in, though, is the ecclesiology of this Greater Christian Church, which I have tried to make feel both Catholic and Orthodox at once. So far what I have is rather Orthodox: Each Cardinal See is, for the most part, autocephalous, or self-running. The Cardinal of Rome's position is First Among Equals. However, as mentioned above, I would hope that the Church would endeavor to keep the diversity of rites intact. Does this seem like something that would be practical?

Any input is appreciated, except for people who are only interested in explaining the heresy of my ecclesiology from whatever perspective. I freely admit that I am taking a large amount of artistic license with this for the purpose of establishing a unified Church in a relatively present-like setting. What I wish to do is, through this license, create something that may identify to both Catholic and Orthodox readers.